Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

La Hell Gang. Chilean band that I really dig.. love 'em! Their album Thru Me Again is excellent! Here's one from that record:

2. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

I always loved this - 'That's the Way' by Deckchairs Overboard (featuring a young Nick Hester on drums) but can't understand how anybody thought it would be a hit:

Mylene likes this.
  3. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Boggmeister likes this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have mentioned Greezy Wheels in similar threads. If you dig The Radiators you might dig them. The original band mmade 2 killer records for London Records. They were a big deal in 1970's Austin but I have never met anyone who has ever heard of them when I mention them. Everybody seems to dig them when I play 'em some. Here's their 1st album...

Greezy Wheels - Juz loves dem ol' (1975) [vinyl rip] - YouTube

river_man likes this.
  5. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

Er I mean Paul Hester of course

6. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Gary Wilson. A new discovery for me, but one that I really like, so much so that I started a thread about him just yesterday that's already heading for tumbleweed status (no biggie, it won't be the first!). He's not that obscure that he doesn't have a cult following and has had a documentary made about his Rodriguez-like rediscovery, but I'd never heard of him until about three weeks ago.

Gary Wilson, anybody?

7. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

A new album from on my all time favourite bands, Sweet Trip, has been released. It's called "A Tiny House, in Secret Speeches, Polar Equals" and it's a real gem of Dream Pop/Indietronica/Psychedelia that's stirring quite the buzz around indie communities ;) All of the previous Sweet Trip albums are well worth your time as well!

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I remember Cathy from that band. She went to Camberwell High and I used to see her backstage at Skyhooks concerts.

_cruster likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mangelwurtel . The self proclaimed 'weirdest band in Melbourne '

Beamish13 likes this.
  10. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Gary Myrick - The Message Is You

11. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Rob Fetters from Psychodots, The Bears, and The Raisins

Tom34772, SimonSaysCake and Dok like this.
  12. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

From Northern Ireland, the mighty Minnows - this is from their third album (in 30 years!), just out. I've reviewed the album at length and explained their history in another thread on the SHF recently. This track is, in my view, the album's highlight - a 9-minute slow-burn epic.

Dublintown and Bobocryce like this.
  13. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

14. Slack Babbath likes this.
  15. Vineshoot

Vineshoot Forum Resident

Does anyone know a Sevillian band called Smash? Maybe most of you don't care about music sung in a language other than English, but this band emulated the Anglo-Saxon rock bands of the late 60's and they sang in English, maybe not very well, but their music was great. I found on YouTube this album from 1971 to prove it, I hope you like it:

If anyone is interested, on this set you can find all their recordings with decent sound (they didn't record in fine studios, but the master is ok): Smash – Todas Sus Grabaciones (1969 - 1978). The title says 1978 because of the release date, but their last recordings are from 1971. They were pioneers of flamenco-rock fusion, as you can hear here.

Phafner likes this.
  16. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Speck Mountain

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  17. Canadian singer songwriter Peirson Ross is an incredible talent

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  18. billiam

billiam Forum Resident

Valerie Carter, The Way It Is.

19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Bheki Mseleku - Cosmic dance

South African Jazz pianist whose final recordings were just released.

Bheki Mseleku

20. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Great thread! Here’s a criminally under-rated/over-looked powerpop gem from the late 90s

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Hunger!

are pretty obscure by any definition in the internet age, have only gotten the first official release of their material in 2O18 ❨Now-Again label NA 5163-CD❩ since an almost completely unnoticed 7" single in 1968 and one l.p. in 1969, both on the tiny Hollywood boutique label Public! Records and pressed in tiny quantities. The fact that the 1969 l.p. was not even issued to begin with in its originally intended form──an original test-pressing copy including astonishing missing material having been discovered to exist in the 199Os and subsequently issued unofficially──made this already legendary-among-collectors band's recordings among the true holey grails of`6Os obscure garage-psych records afficianados. A few of the band's songs have been comp'd variously over the years, the most-known of these a song called “Workshop”, which happens to be one of the songs to appear on the bands 1969 l.p. only in heavily truncated form.
    ❨the superior, full unedited version appeared first in 1998 unofficially after the discovery of the test-pressing of the album not officially released until 2O18❩

Workshop” ❨unedited❩

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Phafner likes this.
  23. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Pascal Pinon from Iceland. The put out three mostly self-produced albums of original material starting when they were fourteen. This trio of releases is a bildungsroman of two young women growing into adulthood. Honest and heartfelt and musically inventive. Here is their third album:

Beamish13 likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nadine is the band.

Downtown Saturday is the album.

Mandocello likes this.
  25. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Chelsea Lovitt "State of Denial"

plentyofjamjars67 and billiam like this.