Is there an obscure band, musician, song that you love? Share with us. Post it on this thread..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2021.

1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Rarely am I asked to show off my favorite obscurities, so here's yet another by The Concinnators Apollo 11 from '70.

CliffL likes this.
  2. Joy-of-radio

And one more obscurity that flat-out cracks me up! This little ditty takes aim at and mocks the hippie folkies out for a quick buck during the folk pop resurgence of the '60s! I give you Ray Sanders You're Puttin' Me On from '65!

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    CliffL, Bram Layman and Fischman like this.
  3. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Scruffy the Cat. A big "college radio" band out of Boston, put out four excellent records of rootsy rock and roll back in the '80s.

4. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Tuneful bluegrass from Portland, OR, for fans of Americana and fans of tunefulness: Black Prairie, "Nowhere, Massachussetts."

Beamish13 likes this.
  5. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

True enough, but the Pernice Brothers had a slightly higher profile nationally. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one to go find the SMB material.

Great thread; permanently bookmarked!

6. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

November Group were a short-lived, early 80’s New Wave/Electronic band from Boston. Their debut album was great, imo, and worth getting if you come across it.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Vashti Bunyan.

A British singer-songwriter, she was discovered by Andrew Oldham in 1965. As her first single, she recorded a Mick Jagger-Keith Richards song, "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind," but it failed to catch on. In 1970, she recorded the album Just Another Diamond Day, which sold so poorly that she left the music business entirely...

... until she discovered, in the early 2000s, that she had developed a cult following. Original copies of her album started selling in the low thousands of dollars. Today, she occasionally performs and records, often with the people she unwittingly influenced, and enjoys her rescue from obscurity.

Vashti's second single from 1966, which wasn't released in the U.S. at the time, was this gorgeous song of longing that she co-wrote, "Train Song":

CliffL, mwheelerk, patient_ot and 4 others like this.
  8. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Dave Brons is a British guitarist. He has released two excellent albums of Celtic prog. The singer is Sally Minnear, daughter of Kerry Minnear of Gentle Giant fame.

ATXadjacent likes this.
  9. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Yeah. A friend and I were just taking about seeing Scud Mountain Boys back in the day and the Pernice Brothers came up. Happy it got a bit more exposure.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Michael Macrone likes this.
  10. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

Check out this amazing 1967 garage 45
    The Chōb

LFSDoc likes this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

newer group, so maybe not "obscure", but...

Can't talk about these guys enough. Tupper Ware Remix Party, now rebranded as TWRP to avoid a copyright nightmare.

Steve Mc and Beamish13 like this.
  12. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Karin My from Sweden. "Silence Amygdala" is a fabulous album, it really deserves some international attention.

Beamish13 likes this.
  14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I always try to shine a light on Luke Roberts and his music. Truly worthy of greater appeal.

15. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

The Rockerati, a must for any Nick Lowe / Dave Edmunds fans like me...

16. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Fantastic. Life on Planet Eartsnop is easily in my top twenty albums of all time.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One of the more interesting bands I like is Acceptance...they are somewhere between pop/punk/emo with a touch of 80's new wave.
    They have a very, very colorful history if you care to look them up.
    Their third album, Wild, Free, was release last year.

Son of the City

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It has sadly been a long time since a song that I had never heard before reached out of the speakers and made me cry. However this older deep album track by ALICE PEACOCK called "Time" recently did and I feel that more should hear it, if you haven't?

hobbes4444 likes this.
  19. Chris C

What a nutty song with half of the future group BREAD involved (David Gates arranging and Jimmy Griffin producing) and a song written by Mac Davis, Bob Lind and Freddy Weller. I also see a "Newman/Griffin" Production on the label, so can I guess that Newman is possibly Randy Newman, as he would have been associated with DOT Records around that time?

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. Chris C

I have to be honest and admit that I kind of let the latest Joe Jackson album go in one ear and right out the other, which is unusual for me, especially when it comes to Joe Jackson. I recently revisited the opening track and realized that I missed a damn good one.

Big Black Cloud from the "Fool" album

billiam likes this.
  21. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

The Judy's - Guyana Punch

tonylevin'ssuitcase likes this.
  22. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Rollerskate Skinny - HorseDrawn Wishes.
    A classic fusion of alternative rock & shoegaze.

Released in 1995, Kevin Shields’s brother’s band released an album every bit as exciting, melodic and innovative as Loveless.

A brilliant, brilliant album that’s held in awe by the few who own it.

Bobocryce and dave_ida like this.
  23. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Bob Collum. alt-country from Arkansas born, Oklahoma raised singer/songwriter currently living in the UK.

24. Whipping Guitar

Whipping Guitar Tush or Tusk

Ian McNabb has been largely ignored in the UK dispute releasing fantastic albums and touring when possible.

25. Joy-of-radio

Right! A nutty, but groovy tune with clever lyrics and catchy melody! I love Its production merits and especially the bird songs! And yes, there’s talent and celebrity all over this recording!

Chris C likes this.