Is there anything I can do to my floorspeakers to be courteous to my downstairs neighbor?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Kessler, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Yes I know what privacy is: it's why I live in a house and NOT in an appartment :targettiphat:!

bluesaddict and csgreene like this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I doubt OP’s neighbor has quite the same level of security personnel. ;)

HairyWeimer likes this.
  3. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Why don’t we just install a tracking device on her? Something small and uninvasive.

bever70, HairyWeimer and Big Blue like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

OAH, with dual 8¨ woofers, you'd better have a big room, or otherwise you're overloading it and increasing the chance of disturbing your neighbor at the same time. My 12X13 living room is OK with my dual 6.5¨ floorstanders, but I know for sure any bigger would be inadequate. Of course bigger is better, but it doesn't always fit.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Naah...Even in such case one should show respect and not disturb. How can you enjoy anything if you know it makes harm to others?

This is like when you politely ask "Mind if I smoke?", while you already know they do, but feel uncomfortable to say "Yes" cause they'll be the rude ones in the end. Your politeness doesn't ease things, it's up to you to figure out what's the right manner.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

When I read the OP’s posts, it’s clear to me he’s trying to be a good neighbor beyond whatever the rules might be. I didn’t see this thread as a “how do I get my pain-in-the-ass neighbor to stop complaining” but rather a “can I make this not disturbing to my neighbor” question.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Exactly. So let's get rid of the floorstanders and get something commensurate with the room and his new living arrangements. The hobby isn't the be-all-and-end-all (shock, I know), but you have to fit in in the world you're in.

All this "when is she going out, when is she in, she could text", nah. That's just nonsense.

Bottom line, she doesn't need to do any of that. She's not the one with the intrusive hobby. I hated it when noise bled in from other neighbours, and I took care as a neighbour to be a good one. That means volume control and the right gear for the right place.

Dale A B and Big Blue like this.
  8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

True that. Actually the discussion developed beyond the actual condition, in a wider realm of the subject "noisy neighbor".

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've lived in my 1st floor corner apt. for 10 yrs now and am a very firm believer in "apt. etiquette". That said, music is a very large factor in my life, always has been, I listen to music more than most people watch tv! I'm not a head-banger and have never, not once, anywhere, ever gotten a knock asking me to turn it down, a little common sense goes a long way. That said, it's a 2-way street, it's an apt., one MUST understand that noise is unavoidable. If you want absolute silence, DONT live in an apt!

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Boy, if nothing else, this threads reminds us of different values, personalities, egos, and why the hell I would NEVER live in a neighborhood much less an apartment AGAIN! ;)

There is a strong push by certain political and woke people to push everyone into cities and stacked housing which benefits almost no one but the politicians and business for control's sake but the smart ones escape and live in the suburbs, ex-urbs or, better, the country where freedom reigns. We are escapees from LA, SF, and Sacramento before we came to Idaho and bought country property. Made our living online and have done far better in every measurable way than our former city friends. And no worries about playing music, shooting guns, and peeing outside when the mood strikes...:D I can grill without complaint, smoke a cigar without complaint (I actually don't do that anymore), and run yard equipment at any hour as the closest neighbor is a half a mile away.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  11. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

Yes Matt, take your speakers to the side and have a dam good speaking to them, and tell them that if they are discourteous to the neighbours you will ground them for a month and will refuse to play music through them. :D If all else fails sit your speakers on sand bags......you can get them from a builders yard.

head_unit, bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  12. The Pinhead

Rules are rules. I've had my fair share of noise complaints against me, all resolved in my favor, municipal inspectors with sonometers and all. 9 PM is my limit though, and I only listen to loud music twice a week, don't throw noisy parties or even gatherings, don't have kids or pets, so that kinda balances it out for my neighbors.

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

There's always a way. Even if there's not.

bever70 likes this.
  14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Jeez glad they didn't have those in college! Probably would have confiscated our stereo, though actually we rarely played it loud. The worst offender (as I posted elsewhere) turned out to be our resident advisor, who would key into our room when we were at class and blast away!

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Amen, amen. And they try and cast us inner suburbanites as some kind of selfish devils for not wanting to live close enough to brush our neighbors teeth for them. Well, F to them and here's to selfishness! I don't want to be crammed in and benefitting the owner class.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I don't. "It makes me SICK" is my reply. Just like in a plane "would you mind pulling down the window shade?" I say very firmly "YES I DO MIND" and that does it. If it ever doesn't suffice, I'm prepared to rant about claustrophobia and coffins.

bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The speed limit on a highway doesn't mean it must be reached.:cop:

18. The Pinhead

But allows you to go 1 mile below it without consequences:D

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Nifkin

Nifkin Member

Ask her if you can install a few thousand £$£$£$£'s worth of active noise cancellation technology in her apartment: that should do the trick

20. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Oh man...you're that guy!

Macman and Big Blue like this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Did the OP find a different forum or get scared off by the, mostly, "behave yourself!" comments? :whistle:

22. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Your avatar is killin me...think i just peed a little:)

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

My avatar is actually one of my great-grandfathers. He fled the Russian empire (we're Jewish) in the 1890's and settled in NYC like so many other immigrants from that era. Died 12 years before I was born (and knew enough to keep his stereo from bothering his neighbors! ;))

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  24. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The only thing to do is to isolate the speakers from the floor. It will take care of mechanical vibrations. For acoustic energy you cannot do much, other than lower the volume.

25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Lol, in Eu you are allowed to go 7km/h faster without consequences :D:cool:!

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.