Is there anything I can do to my floorspeakers to be courteous to my downstairs neighbor?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Kessler, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Probably got bored of all of YOUR scolding, from your first post on. He had a really reasonable question. Gosh... the peasants still stuck living in apartments should know their place (attached to headphones) and not try to work something out with the other peasants.
    And many people tried to help with useful advice. Fun guy! Glad you're a success and can live 1/2 mile from neighbors. Bet they are too.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Play your stereo at normal volume and go take a walk around your floor, the one above and the one below. If the sound is blaring all over the place and can be heard in units beside you/above and below I would consider that way too loud, there's enough noise pollution in cities already. I have a headphone based system, there's no point having speakers that I can never get out of first gear without someone getting ****ed off.

csgreene and audiomixer like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Move.

Brother_Rael and csgreene like this.
  4. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Tricky topic, in this area I think the key is being reasonably considerate. IE don't crank the music, and maybe stick to headphones after 9PM on work nights. With that said, some people seem a bit too sensitive about barely audible noise. Living in an apartment means you're never gonna get 100% peace and quite. People should expect some degree of disturbances, and it's unreasonable for them to expect total silence just like it's unreasonable if you wanted to crank the stereo at 12AM. If it's not from the upstairs neighbor playing a stereo it will be something worse like hearing relationship drama or sex activities. I'll take the stereo over hearing the latter any day.

As for the 'just move out to the country' argument, I'm not sure what to say. Not everyone in this hobby has done so well for themselves that they can afford to buy a house out in the country. Doesn't mean they should never be allowed to own anything but headphones.

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well put, it's called "Pitting on airs"

6. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Maybe ask him when he's going out... or when he's going on holidays.
    Have a 'music session' (at volume) at these times and possibly invite some of the other neighbours OR... be nice to him, ask him what kind of music he likes. Most importantly, don't push your limits or aggravate him....
    You can pick your friends but you can't pick your neighbours.
    As for listening to quality music on nice speakers....
    'Life's pleasures are no good
    in half measures!'

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Make friends with him. Give him your number and do a test . Get on the phone with him and crank it up, ask him when it’s too loud.

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Why is everyone saying HIM, from what I gather, it's a HER, I already said he needs to ask her over for dinner! :agree:

bever70, Brother_Rael and Manimal like this.
  9. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Is there anything I can do to my floor-speakers to be courteous to my downstairs neighbor?

Sell them & buy some expensive noise-cancelling headphones instead...or simply move.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

It's people reading the title and just voicing whatever comes up first into their mind without even bothering to read the OP or what others have allready suggested :rolleyes:. It's one of the diseases of our time :realmad:!

Big Blue likes this.
  11. There is a lot of negativity in this thread, shame. Lets try and be more positive. Please xx

Big Blue and Ingres3225 like this.
  12. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Personally wouldn't play my music past 9pm through speakers anyway, I always switch over to headphones later on, if I get an hour or two with speakers I'm happy! My neighbours have never complained.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It's actually cheaper to live out in the country, as long as your commute to work is within reason.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I'm at my desk looking at mine right now. I'd have to guess it's about 3 inches. The inside diameter is more than my Sennhieser over-ears. Frankly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find headphones with a larger inside diameter.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

What do you suggest?

16. Brother_Rael

Nobody is saying "don't have speakers", but have the right type, amongst other possible solutions.

17. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Not arguing that, I've been enjoying hifi and home cinema in our house for the 18 years we've been here and have a great relationship with our neighbours, that I think, in some small part, is not blazing my music/films late at night and being considerate.

Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to live in a detached house, just can't afford it!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Get some of these, pop a large coin into each one, and pop one under each corner of your speakers.
    The coupling spikes do not improve the situation for your neighbour.
    The black cups are intended for use under washing machines, so should be able to take the weight of your speakers.

[​IMG]

19. Well, i guess i mean instead of being critical, lets try , at least, to be helpful. xx

Big Blue likes this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

People for some reason just read the thread title and then post a response, which makes no sense to me...

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It can be, but it typically involves owning property rather than renting (which is desirable to most people, but not immediately possible for everyone).

I will say you don’t need half a mile separation from neighbors to be able to play music loudly. I have multiple neighbors whose houses I can see from inside my house, but I’ve stepped outside with music playing pretty loudly, and, with windows closed, you can only faintly tell there is music playing from a few feet away. There’s no way it’s disturbing neighbors who are inside their houses, or even outside on their properties. The issue is mainly shared walls/floors/ceilings, not city vs. country.

head_unit and patient_ot like this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Guess the next question...!

Helpful's been done I think - keep the sound down, tenement / apartment etiquette, speaker positioning, talk with the neighbour, arrange a suitable time, put a scarf out the door when she's out, send a text, work out suitable volume...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  23. OP, are you using these in your bedroom (you said you like to listen lying in bed)?! That’s the biggest issue right there if so

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey, so far I don't think anyone has mentioned cutting out the bass entirely and substituting either bass shakers or nearfield subwoofers. THAT can give nice bass (well, sensation in the shaker case) without bothering the neighbor. Probably the only thing that can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.