Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Is New Rock similar to New Coke?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Where is the dislike button?

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh, sorry! I apologise for my arsey reply. I must admit I was surprised because I didn't think my post was all that negative and someone I've never noticed on here before called FrixFrixFrix quoted me earlier and was quite rude about me being positive about this band. Sometimes you just can't win! I don't know what happened with the quote function in my original post, so perhaps a quote from somebody else appeared to be mine.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the at worst rude and at best cheeky reply. I've noticed you as a regular poster here and never thought anything bad so I was just surprised and tired after a busy day at work! All the best.

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The notion that the majority of "the kids" are even aware that new rock bands exist, let alone go out of their way to listen to them is laughable. How unfortunate one finds this state of affairs depends on a combination of age and ability (or lack thereof) to escape the narrow musical lane they've been occupying since their teenage years, whenever those may have occurred.

These guys will most likely maintain a niche fan base, probably comprised mostly of middle-aged men who long for the days when their chosen genre was the leader of the pack. If they play their cards right, they've got a few years of afternoon sets at summer festivals to keep them busy. I honestly wouldn't expect much more than that.

If people are into it, enjoy. But I wouldn't delude myself into thinking these guys are gonna suddenly find mainstream success. It's just not in the cards.

:laugh:

If you can't handle a politely stated dissenting opinion, maybe a discussion board isn't the place for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  5. dmiller458

How about we let them release a proper album before we dismiss them as a flash-in-the-pan?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fair enough, you weren't rude. I also think you're probably right about them. This band will be fine for young people who haven't had the chance to hear much classic rock which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But as you say, how many are going to even care about music that sounds similar to stuff from around 40 years ago? Why should they?

I like a lot more than just classic rock and don't understand why any middle aged adult would want to see these unless they are taking their children. There's also many better artists to listen to at home from rocks peak era.

I couldn't care less whether rock is dead or not. There's far more music out there than just rock, which, outside of a handful of middle aged bands, has had its day. There's a part of me that would like to see rock curl up and die. I'm bored of it.

7. dmiller458

Maybe you weren't that music of a rock fan to begin with. I love rock & roll (and R&B) because I love music.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I grew up listening to almost nothing but rock music and heavy metal. I absolutely love rock music. Dirty Deeds by AC/DC is the last record I played. I love most of the so called 'classic rock' acts. By R&B do you mean Chess blues, Stax and Atlantic soul etc because I love that too. Around 3/4 of my music collection (which is huge!) is rock or R&B, but I personally feel rock music has been played out. It now lacks the danger and attitude that great rock music had. A lot of what was original, rebellious and exciting about rock has fallen into cliche and after over 40 years it's stale. Can a rock band excite like Hendrix did now? Can it scare the mainstream and media and change it like the Sex Pistols did? Can it inspire a counter culture like The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, MC5 and Pixies did, Does any have the awesome power and dynamics of The Who and Led Zeppelin? Do any just provide an unpretentious really good time in as good a way as AC/DC?

Greta Van Fleet can obviously play and have talent, but at this point they are still young and their influences are obvious to the point of mimickry. They don't have their own identity yet. A lot of the bands I mention above were just as young when they started, but they all had ideas of their own.

Two things I think let down most modern rock I hear are average rhythm sections with no real groove or feel and frontmen with weak voices or lacking charisma. Mediocre songwriting is extremely common too. So are bands taking themselves far too seriously.

9. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I was pleased to see the War On Drugs sell out the Alexander Palace in london last month to 10,000 people.

10. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

It's unfair for people to dismiss their YouTube figures. They haven't even got an album out yet.

I expected not to like this but they're good. I have a feeling they're going to be big. Not many bands have done this kind of thing well for years. They need a good producer and good promotion. I hope they don't descend into complete bland crap in the way Kings of Leon did after a couple of successful hard rock albums.

The singer looks a bit boy-band, but that could work for them![/QUOTE]
    I like that. A lot actually! Sounds old. Reminds me of Plant and that's not a bad thing. So is there an audience for new Rock? Hel yeah! Even if it sounds lime old Rock. It's still Rock & Roll To me!

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. dmiller458

Greta Van Fleet is just one band. They're not the entirety of rock & roll circa 2017. They're not the entirety of new rock either.

I don't need any band to come along and scare the mainstream. I don't give a durn about a counterculture. I just wanna hear some electric guitar.

If I expected every rock album to make me float two feet off the ground, I wouldn't listen to any of it.

12. dmiller458

I had to do a double-take there. William did the same thing with his quote of Man at CYA's post as Django did.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know, I don't know what's happening!

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nothing wrong with that! For all the great music that's out there, nothing's as thrilling as a good electric guitar. My favourite modern rock band are Parquet Courts.

I don't care much for the attitude & rebellion side of things much either, ultimately all we're left with is the music when all that's faded away and all the bands I mentioned above have great rock albums that still sell and get played a lot.

I'd rather listen to another kind of music instead of ordinary, average rock though. Getting into soul & R&B moved me away from listening to rock most of the time. I'm forever grateful to a friends parents for lending me a pile of Stax and Atlantic soul records when I had just left school. They blew me away! But The Rolling Stones led me to that.

15. dmiller458

Growing up in Michigan, I was raised on two sounds: Detroit garage rock and Motown. I love R&B and I love hard & heavy guitar rock. Which is probably a major part of the reason that I love P-Funk and the Isleys.

Nobody listened to only rock back then. WWWS (3-Soul) was the number one station in my hometown. It was the last free form FM station in the area. They played funk, fusion, gospel, reggae, Motown, Philly, and even managed to occasionally find room for Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, et al as well.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That just sounds fantastic! I can only imagine what it was like to hear all that great music when it was new. It could be a reason I can be too cynical about rock music, I wasn't around when it first came along and didn't experience it first hand. Bo Diddley is a real favourite of mine. I love the Isleys too, from Respectable early on through to albums like Showdown. I don't know where to start with P-Funk.

I got the 80s instead of all that! I had stations playing Wham and Phil bloody Collins! Oh well...

Did you get to see some great live shows in Michigan?

17. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The main problem with the premise of this thread and others like it is that those who want to carry the torch for rock music in the 21st century are expecting the bands to sound like the ones they listened to in the '70s, which just isn't going to happen. There are plenty of bands out there still making rock music, but the ones that are actually worth their salt aren't just rehashing old sounds without adding anything interesting or new (*cough* Greta Van Fleet *cough*).

If you're truly interested in hearing what rock music sounds like in the latter half of the twenty-teens, it's not that difficult to find bands making great music. It's just not gonna sound like fourth generation warmed-over Zeppelin.

To steal from and add to a list I posted in another thread (which it looks like you've already found) when asked for recent artists making new and interesting music:

Alabama Shakes
    Courtney Barnett
    Deafheaven
    Deerhunter
    Father John Misty
    Foxygen
    Ezra Furman
    Girls
    King Tuff
    Metz
    St. Vincent
    Tame Impala
    Vampire Weekend

And that's limited to those who started releasing music in the past decade. There are plenty more older bands that are still making great rock music. Just gotta be open to leaving your classic rock comfort zone.

18. Until there is a need for a rock and roll mainstream again, modern country is currently doing a nice job as a place marker, with its melodic lead lines, guitar solos, harmonies, hooks, great lead vocals, large production flourishes...

19. William Smart

What did I do? I hit reply and said I dug it. I do. Zeppelin has nothing to fear, but I dig it all the same.

20. dmiller458

Zeppelin has nothing to fear, but I dig it all the same.[/QUOTE]

Half of Man at CYA's post is outside of the quote. Like this.

William Smart likes this.
  21. William Smart

Not true. I'll listen to anything once, twice if I like it, third time I own it. GVF is without a doubt a Zeppelin clone. They do it well. Will they go far? Probably not. But they don't suck because of it. I will check out your list. I do hope it's new and original. The last things I heard that didn't copy anyone else was Crimson, Zappa, YES & ELP. New or improved doesn't come along very often, or maybe I just keep missing it. The odds of the latter being true are probably very high. That doesn't mean everything else sux. At least not to me. That being said I still.enjoyed GVF. I also dig Arabs in Aspic,Omnia and a lot in between. Pax

22. William Smart

Half of Man at CYA's post is outside of the quote. Like this.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I noticed that, thought I screwed it up. Let's see if it happens again.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You are right, the problem is, I haven't liked any of the bands I've heard on that list, Alabama Shakes, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala & Father John Misty - I can't stand him. The others were OK but didn't really move me. Undoubtedly good bands though. I haven't listened to St. Vincent properly yet. I will do soon. I'm hearing and reading good things about her.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah I noticed that, thought I screwed it up. Let's see if it happens again.[/QUOTE]

The problem probably originates from me, but I don't know how!

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hmm... the quote above doesn't look right either. Oh well, it's only happening occasionally in this thread.