Is there such a thing as progressive blues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Absolutely

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm also quite confused as I'm not following the line of discussion with the samples that are being offered.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Definitely Maybe!

McLover likes this.
  4. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

Stand Up by Jethro Tull is probably the closest to a progressive blues album that I have heard.

5. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Atomic Rooster, Vincent Crane laying down some evil Hammond over Fats Waller type barrelhouse blues runs on acoustic piano, and the guitarists were all playing a blues!

Folknik likes this.
  6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

when this came out i kind of thought it was progressive blues, if we mean the same things.

Folknik and Rooster_Ties like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I don't call it that. I call this LP, everything you need to know about women in one LP. It's a darned fine straight blues LP. I love it just as much today as I did when new. Worth listening to all day long. LP and CD both great. Get "Strong Persuader" in your collection, thank McLover later.

drad dog likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

Bolero
    Rice Pudding

9. All Down The Line

Al Dimeola
    Go - Live In Paris

10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

11. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Midnight Rambler always struck me as this.

Davmoco, Jimbino, Folknik and 3 others like this.
  12. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Having (coincidentally) just played Safe as Milk and Trout Mask Replica not half an hour ago, I would say the former is straight up electric blues. There is no real progressive element to the album, rather a deliberate effort to adhere to the most basic forms of the Delta Blues genre, albeit with some psychedelic overtones. The latter is certainly experimental, but doesn't seem to be guided by any specific desire to develop or build upon anything...it's really more of a collage of sorts which does feature blues elements.
    Those two albums anyway seem to straddle 'progressive' by being formalistic and eclectic respectively.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  13. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Great album, but just electric blues. More accurately, psychedelic blues fusion. I mean, it's LITERALLY just Muddy singing over psych rock. Not even real psych rock as much as standard rock with some studio effects and pedals. Tom Cat is a killer track though....
    I'd say if anything, After the Rain is more ''progressive', but still very much a blues album in traditional sense.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

pigmeat blues band - w ian buchanan

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

17. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Svetonio likes this.
  19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Svetonio likes this.
  20. owsley

owsley Senior Member

IMO The Groundhogs Hogwash and Solid lp's are loaded with killer progressive Delta blues (there's another sub-genre for ya)

Folknik and kyodo_dom like this.
  21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think the thread is interesting but some of the stuff listed by the OP is not "Progressive Blues" because it is not blues IMO. Mostly Rock and not blues. Yeah I know, it has blues elements but just because it has blues elements does not make it blues.
    As much as I love this song, it is not Blues. It is Rock IMO. Very little as far as blues inflections, a mixolydian chord progression, does not really swing at all. It is a great Rock song and not a blues song.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think this that complicated. Was SRV a progressive blues guy? No. He was in the vein of traditional electric blues. Im not sure why Johnny called it "the progressive blues experiment". That album is also simply traditional electric blues. Maybe with a bit more bite. Maybe he meant that his journey would be one of progressing the blues into more of the rock n roll flavor. But he really didnt do that either. "Johnny Winter And.." was pretty much a rock record. Some blues roots sure. But so do many many rock albums.

Rather than a progression, Id say it was more of a mixing. Some may call that progress. Others may not.

Prog rock is a mixture of classical and renaissance, old folk medium, galic etc. It really has very little to do with rock n roll. Doesnt make it less cool, just different. I certainly dont see it as a progression from Little Richard or Chuck Berry.

I think the term "progressive" was/is used as some sort of way to make a mixed genre seem as if its some sort of mountian top or leaving behind something that is lesser. When its really just a way of trying to be creative by mixing together what others have laid down.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

you seem to be defining it so that any prog expansion of the sound means it's not bluesy enough. i agree it's a rock song inasmuch as that means something, but I hear a lot of blues in this, the intro, the lyrics, the penatonics, two chords, and then branching off coming to a transcendent climax. blues doesn't need to swing, it doesn't need a band. in a lot of robert johnsons catalog the rhythm is tacit.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

I enjoy reading these intelligent counter arguments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.