Is this a first pressing original 45?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

This looks like one of the later Capitol "swirl" reissue labels, but the condition and obscurity of the title make me think it's an original. I don't have any other original "swirls" that look like this, so I'm wondering... is this the 1969 "transition" label before they switched to the red/orange "target"label?

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, my original has the word STEREO on it and also there is a raised circle all around the outer label.

That could just have been from my local plant though.

Anyone else.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, that's legit. Should be mono, too. That's just a different typography; the target label began to filter in that spring or early summer.

ED:cool:

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Is it true mono or just a fold down?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There is no true mono mix of either song. Those are fold downs.

6. audiodrome

Thanks guys...

7. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Thought so.

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's the last gasp of the swirl label before the "target" label started later in 1969. My copy of "Galveston" by Glen Campbell has that label typography, too; so does the Beach Boys' "Bluebirds Over the Mountain."

9. Ed Bishop

Re: Re: Is this a first pressing original 45?

Same here...and also "Games People Play"...that typography seemed to take over around Sept. or Oct. '68(earlier?), and was the usual type until the target label replaced the swirl....

Y'know, Tim, I'm thinkin' guys like you and me may know a little too much about this sort of thing, maybe at the expense of other, uh, intellectual pursuits. That being the case, why don't I feel bad about that? What kind of friggin' vinyl junkie am I? Typography? Pressing plants? Vinyl vs. polystyrene? Swirls and targets?

At least I have a place to touch down to talk about this kind of stuff that nobody else on the planet gives a whit about....:D

10. audiodrome

Re: Re: Re: Is this a first pressing original 45?

Right On :thumbsup:

11. Capitol Canada

Here is the Beach Boys - "I Can Hear Music" / "All I Want To Do" Canadian style.

Attached Files:

12. Both songs are mono, and as mentioned fold-down mixes. I compared them against a mid 1970s U.K. copy of 20/20 on that bland red Capitol label. I used some "Y" connector RCA jacks to bring the stereo LP to a mono mix. The songs sounded identical.

I suspect if "All I Want To Do" had a proper mono mix, the backing vocals and some of the instrumentation would have been brought up in the mix. They sound buried in the fold-down.

Ed, you can place this label in your slide show. :)

Attached Files:

13. That U.K. pressing of 20/20 was bought brand new in around 1974/75. It is very quiet compared to the "ICan Hear Music" single. Both sides of the 45 peak out at 0. The LP peaks around -4.

Attached Files:

14. Ed Bishop

It has been done, my friend; as always, thanks, never saw that one before!:D

15. Capitol Canada again!

Me three. Always great to read your comments Ed, (and Tim too)!

Continuing in that, only 17 people on the planet, (well, maybe a thousand or two,) here is the Canadian pressing of "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" b/w "Never Learn Not To Love". Dennis Wilson gets another b side, or is that crazy Charlie?

Note the release date was penned in on this copy, or maybe the date when the store received it. In the mid to late 1970s I used to buy all my 45s at a small record store buried in the North End of Winnipeg, called "Country Music Centre". Charlie, the guy who ran the store, brought in at least one copy of almost every single that was released every week. If I wanted to find something bubbling under the top 40, Charlie usually had it, or could get it. He specialized in country singles but also carried most pop titles as well. And he kept 45s in stock for several years in some cases. I bought this copy of The Beach Boys Bluebird in around 1973, brand spankin' new.

This single also sounds like a fold-down.

BTW, Paul could you check the end of "All I Want To Do". I was playin my copy and there is about 10 seconds of "dead air" at the end of the song before the run-off groove. Kind of odd.

16. Anytime Ed. I think by this point Brother/Reprise in the U.S. and Canada had the reissues of the 4 post Pet Sounds albums including 20/20. The Beach Boys stayed signed to EMI/Capitol in the U.K. until Carl & The Passions So Tough. MY Sunfolower and Surfs Up vinyl are on the EMI-Stateside label. The U.K. pressing of Sunflower opens Side 1 with the alt version of "Cottonfields", unfortunately in faux stereo.

Let's try this again. (Don't know why it didn't upload last time.) :confused:

Beach Boys - "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" Capitol Canada.

release date - December 16, 1968

Attached Files:

17. Ed, I bought several U.K. and Euro pressings of The Beach Boys Capitol LPs in the early-mid 1970s. I have albums on the red label I just uploaded, the green target Capitol label, and the dreaded purple label. You may remember I uploaded a version of that label in one the early record label threads. It was from a "Duophonic" Pet Sounds" pressed in W Germany. It hasn't been on any of my turntables in many, many years. :laugh:

18. Ed Bishop

Re: Capitol Canada again!

It's Charlie, I've no doubt. I have a copy of his LIE Lp, and it fits rigfht in, as Axl Rose understood.

Possibly, but I don't think so. 20/20 came out months after this 45 was released; 50/50 chance it was mixed to mono for the 45, and remixed to stereo for the Lp. But only Uncle Steve knows for sure...:)

19. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

Miike, if I had to guess about the dead air at the end of the 45 of "All I Want to Do", I would assume it's an edit, removing the sounds of the couple making out. I'm just guessing, I've never heard it myself. And does anybody else remember about the labels on the 2-fer of "Wild Honey"/"20/20" on Warner/Reprise? If I recall correctly, they gave the producer of each individual track-was this also done on the original Capitol issues?

20. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: Is this a first pressing original 45?

Another advantage in my case: I actually get paid to know this kind of stuff! Ain't America great?

21. Re: Re: Capitol Canada again!

Maybe Tim knows. After all he's getting paid to know this kind of information. :laugh:
    The couple making out. I forgot about that. It had been a while since I had listened to the vinyl. That's probably the reason for the "dead air".

The original Capitol version of 20/20 (my black rainbow vinyl is Canadian, but the sleeve was printed in the U.S.) and the 1970s U.K. copy I have, both list individual producer credits for each song on the inside of the gatefold sleeve. Brian is holding an eye chart that contains all the album credits on it.

22. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: Capitol Canada again!

Re "Bluubirds Over the Mountain": I'm pretty sure that the 45 was mixed to mono specifically for the single. There are differences if you listen closely enough.

The B-side, "Never Learn Not to Love," definitely was mixed to mono for the single, as it is not the same as the version on 20/20. It's not merely an edit; I remember trying to use my 20/20 CD to re-create the single edit and I couldn't do it. The long fade-in at the beginning of the LP track before the line "Cease to exist" can't be cleanly chopped off (the 45 starts cold with the words "Ceast to exist").

23. audiodrome

Re: Re: Re: Re: Capitol Canada again!

The mono 45 mix is on the recent Greatest Hits Vol. 2 CD. The mono mixes stop with this track as it goes to stereo for the next track, "I Can Hear Music." This lends validity to the notion that the "mono" mix of ICHM is just a fold down and there was no reason to include it on this particular CD, which stays true to the unique mono 45 mixes (1963-1968). The Greatest Hits Vol. 1 CD, however, does not use all of the mono single mixes, jumping to stereo whenever possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.