Is this a good turntable setup for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jon c., Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon c.

Jon c. Active Member Thread Starter

I've never owned a turntable before but I listen to a lot of music digitally so I think it would be worth it for me. This is the setup I have in mind

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for MC and MM Cartridges

Audioengine A5+ (Plus) Powered Speaker

Would this equipment work well with eachother? Its about $1200

Bingo Bongo and Roycer like this.
  2. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I started with a Project turntable and loved it. Schitt makes really good sh!t so hard to go wrong there. I also hear great things regarding the A5+ speakers so yea I think you are well set there. Are there other options and setups you could create with 1200.00 sure, but this looks ok to me. Question: what cartridge does that table come with?

Roycer and Adam9 like this.
  3. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

U-Turn Orbit acrylic w/ 2m Blue and built-in Pluto 2, which for the same price as the Pro-Ject gets you a better cart and built-in phono that's better than the Mani.

4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I would have a look at a Rega Planar 2 as a good solid first table.

For a preamp look for a second hand Trichord Research Dino or Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS.

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I love my Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB and it came with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

Roycer and mike catucci like this.
  6. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

How about the technics SL1500c,ready to plug into powered speakers...phono stage and cartridge..1200 bucks.only MM cartridges though.and sounds really good as I've had one for a couple weeks now.

7. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

oops sorry I didn't see speakers included in the 1200

8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I'll second the Rega recommendation. I had the original Debut carbon with upgraded platter and cartridge, the P2 is better in every way. If it's out of budget id bet the P1 is better too.

9. Tracey

Tracey Forum Resident

The new Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo is getting fave reviews and might be worth considering too :) Mine is on a ship somewhere ...it was just launched in Canada this month. But, it is available in the USA. The cartridge for US customers only is the Sumiko Rainier.
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo review | What Hi-Fi?

10. Jon c.

Jon c. Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I went for the Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC) with Ortofon 2M red cartridge and the klipsch r-51 pm speakers that don't require a pre amp.
    Is it better to get speakers with a built in preamp or buy them separate?

Aftermath, Roycer and mike catucci like this.
  11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The Pro-Ject is a decent turntable to start with. Not surprising that you'll find someone who will recommend their own personal favorite, but everyone has his or her own priorities when it comes to buying a piece of audio gear. There's always something better if you have the means.

As far as the preamp situation goes, you're always better off with a standalone unit. The Schitt gear is pretty good and worth getting. Frankly, a phono stage built into a speaker may be convenient, but you'll take a hit when it comes to sound quality.

12. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

That is a nice starter system. Enjoy!

13. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I went with the Debut Evo over the Esprit and love mine, I upgraded straight away to a 2M Blue stylus (it shipped with the Red in Europe) and a cork mat and it sounds fantastic:

This Turntable Is an Audio Nerd's Dream

rednedtugent likes this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have the A5+s for four years now. I've upgraded every piece of my turntable setup, but I've got a small room, so I've kept those and been really happy. They have enough low end oomph to sound full in small spaces, but plenty of volume when we want to party in the next room. For the price, until you're ready to move to an amp/passive speakers, they'll work great, and helps keep setup minimal. Also had the Schiit mani for a while, and its a solid phono preamp for the price.

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Look before you leap. Go check out a friend's system, a system at a store, etc. Also check the prices of the records you think you want to buy. What is your budget for the actual records? Do you have any records currently? Do you have any stereo equipment whatsoever currently?

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Go with the Rega P2. It has a much better bearing/platter assembly and tonearm.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You will surely be happy with it although I would personally go used on more stuff to get better bang for the buck.

nosliw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.