Is this Legit?: Bangla Desh VCD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 22dRow, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22dRow

22dRow New Member Thread Starter

A local record store is carrying this Hong Kong VCD of Concert for Bangla Desh (link below). The sales guy insists it's a legitimate release. It has the apple logo on it, but does anyone know for sure if it's a grey/black market release or if it's a legit one? Also, what is the picture quality of VCDs? I've never watched one and don't want to get some grainy Quicktime movie.

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/clapton/concert-for-bangla-desh-vcd.htm

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

VCD's are inferior to DVD's in picture quality; the ones I've seen, to be honest, aren't a whole lot better than VHS, although they probably should be.

In any case, while the Bangla-Deah VCD may or may not be legit--hard to tell with this format--remember that not all players will play back VCD's, so you have to be sure yours will before you purchase one. I've seen some of these at regional outlets like Newbury Comics, but haven't bothered....I want optimum quality, and given what I've seen to date, you might be better off with a laserdisc edition.

Just my two cents....

:ed:

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

There's a Brazillian DVD version of Concert For Bangla Desh that's quite common (Best Buy often carries it), that's taken from a pretty good master, and is one of the better of those Brazillian discs. Perfectly legal, due to Brazillian copyright laws.

4. metal

metal Forum Resident

I believe the VCD is legit as I recall seeing this being sale on some large local shops in HK.

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it is legit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.