Is This Mold on This Record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old music lover

old music lover Forum Resident

MOLD usually came from sleeve/cover. A record is easy to clean(water, alcohol, etc.), but the paper sleeve/cover is almost impossible. I have tried to clean a cover and the record with UV-C, but the result was no very good. And a molded sleeve infects all the collection of records. My room smels of MOLD now.

Shawn, bluesky and doctor fuse like this.
  2. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

I would try to gently clean off one of the spots on the shiny inner run out area of the disc. If it wipes away easily without a mark you will get some idea of how imbedded or not the contamination is. ;)

I have one of those cheap and cheerful 'Disco Antistat' baths which you suspend and rotate the disc through the supplied cleaning fluid, but satisfactory results with mouldy records are not guaranteed. :sigh:

3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Over 9 minutes of pure ZTT bliss :righton:.
    'Frozen Faces' is very good b-side too!

4. AL01

AL01 Eh?

This amount of damage is not irreparable by any means, but I reek of paranoia.

A risk is a risk. I have cleaned mold before using distilled water, soap, 91% IPO, and a Glue cleaning to top it all off.

It's just too much to go after a record with that amount of mold, since the records I own range in values, (from 3$ to 150$), then this somewhat irrational fear for things like this become a bit too strong for me to ignore.

But yes, that amount of mold can be successfully mitigated.

EDIT: I just checked the record I cleaned over a month ago and there is no mold on it, so if the OP wants specific details for my cheap @$$ method, then I would be more than happy to specify it in a subsequent post.

4-2-7 likes this.
  5. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Have you tried cleaning it yet?

6. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Why not wash it first with the appropriate cleaner then report back?

7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

As I mentioned in a post above, I plan on cleaning it, and I'll do that when I get a few moments. I'll certainly report back with results.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

In spite of what some say, my experience with hi-test alcohol and record cleaning is good.

Pavol Stromcek and AL01 like this.
  9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Good news: I wrote to the Discogs seller about the mold, and he kindly gave me a full refund without having to return the record, and was very apologetic about it. It's nice when Discogs sellers step up and make things right when there's a problem like this.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's good news and was the right thing for the seller to do.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Generic DJ style jackets with a cut-out center hole are perfect for these types of situations.

ubiknik likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Have you tried ozone? This is usually what's recommended. I've never had to try it, so can't comment on its efficacy.

14. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Yo, Kev, it's a beautiful night for a walk on the beach, wouldn't you say? ;)

Just FYI, I heard a Ween song for the first time on a TV show (Netflix's Sex Education). Does that mean we are old now?

16. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

The fungus is among us

17. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Yes, you must use it in a sealed container. I know people who use ion generators to control static buildup in the vinyl as the record plays. I stand quite a distance from these as the smell they produce is quite unpleasant. However, if one needs to restore a smelly record jacket, it may be a case of putting up with one permanent unpleasantry over another, temporary one.

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

This record has Mould on it:

[​IMG]

Grootna, ubiknik, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  19. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I'm glad you were able to amicably solve this challenge. I was faced with a similar situation recently and the seller was also very reasonable in coming to a resolution.

Grootna likes this.
  20. old music lover

21. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Wood glue. Removes anything that isn't vinyl. ANYTHING.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Looks like mold indeed.
    If it’s not a rare collectible, it’s probably ready for the dumpster.
    Or if the seller sold it as VG+ without notes about the mold, you should sent it back at their cost.
    Don’t let ripoffs get away with it unless you want to perpetuate these problems.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I agree that based on those photos that it is not VG+. However, it could clean up very well indeed, maybe increasing the grade slightly. It’s hard to see on photos but a dirty record can be often rectified somewhat. A scratched or marked record is a different matter. On this occasion, most of the issue seems to be an extremely filthy record that needs deep cleaning before you do anything…

24. old music lover

A deep clean is made first time with Knosti and then with ultrasonic machine IMHO...

25. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

UV-C is also used for water sterilization and is a common component of some RO systems and salt-water tank enthusiasts - such as Residential Archives - Polaris (polarisuv.com). However, its the UV-C that is doing the killing - the ozone odor is a by-product. FYI - UV-C can damage the record but would be dose/time dependent. If curious here is recent Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008 (cdc.gov).

Note that the odor threshold of ozone is very low - ~0.02 ppm. From Ozone Regulations | WQP (wqpmag.com) The FDA’s maximum allowed ozone concentration in the air for residential areas is 0.05 ppm ozone by volume. For work environments, OSHA’s Permissible Exposure Limit for General, Construction and Maritime Industry is a 0.1 ppm time-weighted average (0.2 mg/m3). OSHA’s 15-min exposure limit is 0.3 ppm. OSHA further breaks down the regulation with Threshold Limit Values: 0.05 ppm for heavy work, 0.08 ppm for moderate, 0.10 ppm for light work, and any workload under two hours is 0.20 ppm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.