Is this music called "post industrial"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avanti1960, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

definitely has a 'kraftwerk" vibe.

Mr Sam likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It this because you think Kraftwerk is Industrial instead of a German Electronic band? It just sounds like Electronic to me. I hate all the "Post" subgenres stuff. Stop doing this stuff. Make up a new name or call it an evolution of the genre. It's getting to be that every band or artist has his own subgenre. At some point, we've long ago crossed, this stuff stops being any more descriptive than just naming the artist as an influence.

cleandan, zphage and avanti1960 like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

thanks, i'm not that familiar with genre labels.

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I’m not a fan of genre labels either and for electronic-based music the label definitions seem to always bleed into each other anyway. I do really like this track though, if you dig this you might also like earlier Autechre as well as Regis, Surgeon or British Murder Boys (an awesome collaboration between Regis and Surgeon.)

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

'It's getting to be that every band or artist has his own subgenre.'

That would be perfect, then we could use the band name and take each band on their own terms, not how well they fit into an some arbitrarily developed taxonomy of types.

Personally I would describe this as electronica, not electronic, which usually refers to compositional methods developed within a certain era between say between the 50s and mid-70s..

Industrial usually refers to rock bands from the late 70s, who used tapes, samplers and concrete sounds. Throbbing Gristle and Test Dept. are obvious examples. I can hear in this why you want to refer to industrial music and perhaps you could say that the music seems to refer to that earlier sound.

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Leave post-punk out of this.

7. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I guess vinylontubes' "hate" is targeted on labeling any music "post"-something, not towards the music itself.

punkmusick likes this.
  8. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Just sounds like the kind of thing anyone could do with the gear - and not at all like Kraftwerk, who developed a distinctive instrumental sound, as well as their own vocal/lyrical style.

9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Post punk is a label that refers to a style that began when some of the original punks (e.g. Lydon) moved further from punk rock to try something different. The music those punks made after punk was over for them started a new genre. So the name post-punk is appropriate.

10. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Right. "Post-punk" label is ok with me.

which reminds me of that definition of post-punk - or was it specifically about Joy Division (I believe it was mentioned in a JD or Factory Records documentary)
    punk = "F... You"
    post-punk = "We're F...ed"

Irish-Matti and punkmusick like this.
  11. I am not very familiar with this style of music...I know of it and have heard some, but I hardly "know" the style.
    Is this particular song supposed to be so distorted? Especially the drum beats?

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I think freak folk should be called post industrial, especially those no electricity shows.

13. Northern__Rights

Northern__Rights Member

Other than the heavy-handed assumptive and condescending tone of this response, my primary concern with this response stems from a general lack of informed response to a valid question. The majority of this exists as an apparent excuse to vent your distaste for the ever-present process of systematic divide for the purpose of a more enlightened understanding of the properties that flavor a piece of music, and the remainder seems to be a round-about contradiction of your own statements. Now, I understand that there is a growing culture of artists with a marked penchant for "special snowflake syndrome" behavior (most likely in attempt to grasp at some mistaken sense of acting as "the first; the pioneer" [Ex. group "Dance Gavin Dance" actively labels their products as "Swan-core"; as if this title even remotely denotes any facets that make this music an island. Personally, this type of action makes me cringe (in reality it is just an ordinary screamo band]
    However; the process of accurate identification does play an important role in both the listener's understandng and the extension of said understanding...after all, music is constantly develping and reforming. It is important that these labels demonstrate properties that are exclusive to a given piece; it is even more important that those who wish to practice use of these sub-sections (in terms of describing provided work) have comprehended the details in a manner that is linear to the defined perameters. Misguided ,gibberish "revolutionary" avenues of divide are always unappealing, but the maulpractice of decphering a genre (or its relatives) of music ought not to discreit the merit of dichotomy as a whole.

As the artist of indicated song, I operate with the umbrella term of "experimental electronic" being as my work is somewhat diverse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.