Is this vinyl transfer any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Timeline Man, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

This.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

If you use MasVis you can get other aspects of the quality of the file as well.

[​IMG]

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Sure, analog technology had already peaked into the 80's, including direct to disc and metal mastering technology. The typical 80's pressings were good, and had a frequency range to 22kHz. (half speed mastering to 44kHz) In analogue we have no concern about sampling rate or bit depth. Some recordings were digital and advanced for the time, Soundstream 20 bit recordings pressed on vinyl, such as Telarc, very impressive.

HDOM and Timeline Man like this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I find that statement odd about a 55 year old being from a different generation and (presumably) couldn’t possibly have anything to do with DJing.

Grant and Timeline Man like this.
  5. Timeline Man

Well, that's the turnable used to transfer my vinyls:

"THORENS 105 with SHURE M75"

Is it good?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. Timeline Man

Not in Italy, in all regards. :)

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The Shure M75 is an old design so stylus new or old? Loading of cartridge needs to be figured out too. That said, there are better cartridges out there. Check the file with MasVis and publish it here.

patient_ot and Timeline Man like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It is decent, but it is 40 years old and very far from current state of the art or even high end, I'm quite impressed at how good a job it did considering.

9. Timeline Man

Okay :)

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You must not be aware that "DJing" has been around since the 70s then.

This "DJ" is 60 years old:

Grandmaster Flash - Wikipedia

TarnishedEars likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nothing special. With slightly better equipment and a modest A/D converter, and a lot of patience with click repair software (if needed) you could probably make a transfer yourself that would sound better. That or send the record to someone that has better equipment and have them transfer it for you.

TarnishedEars and Timeline Man like this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I was referring to the OP...he's the one that said that. Does he think all DJs are 20?

"1- The mixer engineer who runs the studio is not a DJ, and he's 55 years old anyway. Another generation, thank God."

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Timeline Man

LMAO, I didn't mean that as disrespectful toward old or young DJs at all. I just pointed out the fact he is from another generation of mix engineers. That's it.

14. Timeline Man

The transfer I have sounds very good, but I will re-do the work anyway: this time on 24 bit format and with different equipment. ;)

Dubmart and patient_ot like this.
  15. harby

harby Forum Resident

That's definitely in the "whatever was around" category. An acceptable but entry-level belt drive turntable with an old cart.

The M75ED (and nearly identical M91ED) have a sound signature good for "the warmth of vinyl" and listening, but not for accurate transcription recording. Original stylus haven't been made for a long time.

It requires a higher than average capacitance load, or the high frequency response suffers, sounding even more mid-bassy.

Frequency response, Stereophile review, 1968 (top, dotted/solid lines are Left/Right):
    [​IMG]
    Notice high frequencies are lacking, except a resonance peak at 13kHz or so, and channel separation (bottom line) almost disappears at high frequencies, letting us know this resonance may be non-musical.

Something worthy of paying to use, an Audio-Technica VM540ML cartridge's response:
    [​IMG]

Put that on a Technics SL-10, SL-1200G, or even SL-1200MK2 for production work with negligible wow, flutter, or rumble.

You could have bought the turntable eBay Italy for EUR 45,50 Thorens TD 105 trovato In soffitta | eBay [/QUOTE]

16. Timeline Man

Thank you so much for your feedback. I must say that my graphics show that the turnable and the system (a professional studio) "captured" very good high frequencies (16.000 hertz). It sounds fine, if not great.
    Anyway, I understand your point of view and soon I will make new transfers by using new equipment. ;)

17. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I'm still a bit cornfused as to what 80s album/song we're talking about here? :confused:

Timeline Man likes this.
  18. Timeline Man

Italian pop music. LOL

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Except they don't, which is what @harby, was trying to explain. It is not a feat to get frequencies out to 16KHZ on needledrop of a mainstream pop record from the 80s.

I could do it with the equipment I have, which is far from high end.

Timeline Man likes this.
  20. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

as has been said you can do much better but you will have to spend more than a $1000 on a TT cartridge combo.

I think the TT is extremely important. I had a Shure V15 on a Project Debut and I thought that was as good as it needs to be. Then I got a VPI Scout with a ATOC9mlkll now a Dynavector XX2. I still have both TTs I even have a 2nd tonearm with the ATOC9MLKLL mounted up, I only use the XX2. There are subtle differences I can't live without.

So in short if your copy sounds good to you unless you want to spend a lot more money you should be happy with what you have.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've heard good needledrops done with fairly modest equipment, and very good ones done with a rig that costs thousands. I think the equipment used to do OP's transfer is a fairly low bar to beat.

He's not using his own equipment anyway. He just needs to find someone to do the job that has a decent rig and not get caught up on words like "professional" which are meaningless in this context.

ghost rider and Timeline Man like this.
  22. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

16 bit 48khz should be enough :agree:

Compared it whit:

24 bit 44 or 48, and you should not see a difference, in sound quality :-plnktn-:

c-eling and Timeline Man like this.
  23. Timeline Man

True.

HDOM likes this.
  24. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Thank you timeline man :love:

Timeline Man likes this.
  25. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If you're old enough that you can't hear the 15.7 kHz flyback whine of a CRT television anymore, then it doesn't matter because you won't be hearing anything above 16 kHz anyway. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.