Is "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009) canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Oct 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

I mean: "canonical" for the original timeline, before Wolverine's time travel in DOFP.
    To me, yes.

I think that the movie is a good and fun popcorn superhero flick, they just should redo the digital claws sequence in the Hudson family's bathroom.
    I don't see anything wrong with it, quite frankly.

Characters:

Emma Silverfox and Wade/Weapon XI are just reinterpretations. Weapon XI was scary and frightening. Who cares about having a comic book faithful adaptation? Later, we got the two Deadpool movies and the Deadpool cinematic universe. The character is a bit overrated anyway.

In terms of continuity, Emma Silverfox, Quicksilver and Banshee could be seen as an issue, but we can suppose that they are clones created by Essex Corporation/Project WideAwake.
    So my wild guess is that Emma Silverfox is Emma Frost's clone created by William Stryker Jr. in the sixties (DOFP established that Emma Frost was captured and killed) and later adopted by Mr. Silverfox, Kayla's father. Adoptive sibling.
    The teen versions of Quicksilver and Banshee are clones too, of course. The real Banshee (First Class) was killed by Stryker in the sixties, while the real Quicksilver (DOFP) could have been killed by Team X down the line too, and that would explain why 2023 Wolverine knew about him and knew about his home address.
    Thus, basically, we can imagine that Xavier recruited Emma Silverfox, Quicksilver II and Banshee II as X-Men, and they belonged to the second generation (along with Beast), operating many years before the first movie. Beast, Emma, Quicksilver and Banshee departed some time before, leaving Cyclops, Storm and Jean alone.
    I don't think that they are "mutants with similar powers". Ironically speaking, and that's truly cool if you ask me, Stryker's secret files in X2 list two "Cassidys" and two "Maximoffs", without specifically mentioning their birthnames. Retroactive continuity, we can assume that the computer files referred to the clones.

When it is set?

The movie is set in 1983. Aprox. 15 years before "X-Men" (1999).
    Cyclops' age is the very same (18) in both Origins and Apocalypse, so it's 1983. 15 years before "X-Men 1", which can be placed in 1999 ("future time" from the First Class perspective).

About Sabretooth:

Victor Creed underwent a secondary mutation and evolved into Sabretooth. Or maybe, someone experimented on him in the 1983-1999 timespan. 16 years. Maybe Stryker... because we know that Stryker did not stay in prison for too long, after the events of "Origins".

Logan lost his memory and he couldn't recognize Victor anyway, because Victor as Sabretooth looked vastly different.

Sabretooth lost his memory too, but he did seem to recognize Logan's dog tags in X1. Nice touch! Vague reminiscences...

omikron likes this.
  2. Timeline Man

Let me know, thanks :)

omikron likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I can't answer you're question. I'm mildly curious, but hated the movie so much. Anyway, I do remember this thread here:

X-Continuity: website explaining the X-Men movie timelines

And the first post has a link to a continuity explanation of the timelines that may address what you are looking for.

4. Timeline Man

Hello Albert, I myself opened that thread based on my website, but I will ask mods and admins to remove it, because I moved away from that scenario long time ago. I also changed my website. You will read...

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Doh! Sorry, I didn't notice you were the OP on that one. Good luck in your quest.

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

And here I thought The Wolverine was the one that seemed out of scope.

Timeline Man likes this.
  7. Timeline Man

Yes, you're right. It was a generic adventure. It had no significant meaning in the overall story-arc of the franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.