Is your King Crimson collection complete?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

i have everything i need... all the albums through three of a perfect pair... plus some other stuff... i'm a big fan of the 2 live discs that come with the 21st century guide to KC. I have Thrak & The Construction of Light as well. I haven't gotten into the more recent studio stuff yet...

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Everything up to and including "Red", plus "No Pussyfooting" and "Exposure"; nothing from the reformed Crimson.

3. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

My copy of Discipline is signed by Bruford, Belew and Levin... each of whom I met.
    I have Court, Indiscipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, and a bunch of live stuff... Plus lots of Fripp and Belew solo stuff
    Dig it much

4. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

You haven't missed much. They haven't put out a studio album in 15 years. :)

ghostofzuul likes this.
  5. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Thank you for mentioning these...I had forgotten they existed! Looking up Exposure also led me to Daryl Hall's Sacred Songs, which I had overlooked all these years...

qwerty likes this.
  6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Which of the official live albums do folks here consider essential? I'd like to avoid any download only releases and 'club' releases.

I have all of the studio LPs up to and including Thrak but very little live stuff. I've just ordered the recent-ish Toronto vinyl box set - at considerable expense and without having heard anything at all from this line-up or, indeed, any line-up for the last several decades - I'm probably mad...!

A compact guide would be very handy here - Please indicate if any also had/have a vinyl release as that is very much my format of choice.

Thanks,

7. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I have everything studio from Court through TOAPP, including a bunch of the surround remixes. It’s possible I have some of their 90’s discs still kicking about, but I haven’t felt the need to listen to any of them in years.

8. znpnine

znpnine Forum Resident

I would say Earthbound, USA for sure.
    The night watch (1973 live) is essential as well (much of SaBB came from this show)
    Absent Lovers for the 80s outfit
    Live in Mexico City for the 95 version
    Maybe Heavy ConstruKction for the 2000's
    Of the new releases from the last few years -I would say go for Meltdown.

The studio album done before the official restart in 2014 is definitely part of the story:
    A Scarcity of Miracles - Wikipedia

ghostofzuul likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They really need to put out a Collectors Club from the '08 tour. It was the debut fir Gavin Harrison and is still a part if the history. Understood that there have been other priorities, but this was promised over 10 years ago.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's complete through what I consider the "real" era of KK, that is the Atlantic and Warner years. After that, I lost interest in the Fripp+rotating band stuff. And I don't collect the various live stuff that has subsequently come out covering that era.

Airbus likes this.
  11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Not even close, are you kidding?? And that doesn't even get into what qualifies as "major" or "long-lasting".

12. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I am missing Islands and 3 of a Perfect Pair out of the studio albums. Actually, Lizard too though I owned it for many years and know it well, but it was lent out and not returned :D ... I did get the Live in Vienna last year, which I enjoy, but I doubt I'll pursue any of the other live releases at this time

13. For my money, USA is essential (available on vinyl)

Meltdown: Live in Mexico is my favorite example of the current lineup- available on Blu Ray/CD combo

Regarding classic shows, the Starless box set is probably the best box I own (and I have many in my collection). It’s Blu Ray/dvd/cd.

If you’re cherry picking downloads, then zoom Club 4-12-71 is powerful and has a great set list.

Sorry only one of my suggestions is on vinyl.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't do vinyl, so I can't really speak to that end of it. Personally, I think you're better off going with CD or DVD with many of these releases, since they feature more expanded set lists than the truncated original releases of albums like USA.

--Someone mentioned Earthbound, which is an album that I've grown to love, particularly in its new expanded form with last years DVD package, but the sound quality here is notoriously poor. If you're looking for a good introduction to the live output from the Islands band, I think that the Ladies of the Road collection is a better way to go.

--USA (again in its expanded format) is pretty essential. Some fans really love The Night Watch and it's a classic performance, though there's considerable overlap here between this and Starless & Bible Black. There was a two-fer that got released featuring both the Asbury Park (USA) show and the excellent Mainz show from '74, so that might be a good catchall.

--Absent Lovers is probably the definitive document of the 80s line-up. Great performances, great set list.

--Vroom Vroom is a great release from the double trio years, featuring two different performances, slightly edited.

--If you're a fan of the early stuff, the Epitaph set is vital. The sound quality is variable, but the performances are smoking.

15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I didn't know exactly what I had, so I just made a list.

All on CD:

In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th Anniversary 2 audio CD
    In The Wake Of Poseidon 30th Anniversary Edition
    Lizard D'G
    Islands 40th Anniversary Edition
    Larks Tongues In Aspic D'G
    Red Dutch 30th Anniversary mini LP gatefold
    The Great Deceiver Vols 1 & 2 re-issues
    The Night Watch
    The Collectable King Crimson vol 1 Mainz/Hyde Park 1974
    Absent Lovers
    The Power To Believe