Is your main CD player a dedicated CD player or a universal one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KevinP, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was using a universal (Oppo 105D/205) player for a number of years for all disc formats. I recently bought a Marantz SA-10 which is used in my main system. So for now CD and SACD (stereo) playback it's a dedicated player.

2. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I don't play a lot of CD's but on my main system I'm using a Pioneer Laser Disc player to play them.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Although primarily into old records and pre-recorded cassettes, I recently bought a Harman Kardon DVD-48 (Universal Player) from the thrifts and currently using it as a main disc player (CD, SACD, DVD-A) instead of listening to files via my DAC. Sound quality surprised me... more detail and 'presence' of sound than I expected. Must be the BJT based op amps it uses. Wish it decoded HDCD, but, for $10 it's a keeper! ;)

4. John

John Senior Member

I voted other. My machine plays CDs and only CDs, I do not have any way of playing SACD or DVD Audio. My cheap movie only DVD player crapped out a while ago and I haven't replaced it.

5. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

All dedicated. I have 3 Rega Planets (all over 15 years old), a Rega Saturn (10 years old), and an Onkyo C-7030 (2 years old). Never had a minutes problem with any of them.

6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Dedicated.

Simaudio Moon 360D.

Awesome also (essentially the same as the 3.3).

7. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

Me too. It was a gift to all of the tanker drivers when I worked for Mobil out of Vernon CA 1998-2002. I forget which year. Life can go full circle. Playing with toy trucks as a child no doubt led to me playing with real ones when I got older. But my hearing is still intact. Just for the record.

M. M.

inperson likes this.
  8. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10 (Dedicated).

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

dedicated

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Dedicated

but not a follower-;)

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Current player is a universal one , Cambridge 752BD.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

How fashionable. ;)

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The old Marantz CD5003 plays CDs.
    Oh, and hybrid SACDs :)

Michael and c-eling like this.
  14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have just a regular red book cd player.This caught my attention because I had been considering something to play SACDs & Blurays.I have to read the current recommendation thread.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Dedicated-
    CD-Denon
    SACD-Onkyo
    [​IMG]

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Somehow I missed that we both use Denon players. I see yours is the DCD-1500, while mine is the DCD-1600NE. Since the numbers are close, I thought they would be similar, but after some Googling, I see that they are not. Did yours come out in 1986? Is this it? Denon DCD-1500 - Manual - Stereo CD Player - HiFi Engine

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

I went backwards :D
    Wanted something with indexing and variable out. :)

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool, I'm sure you saved some bucks, too. My player was $1,200.

19. c-eling

You have a great player George, took you awhile!
    The 86 was on my list for quite a few years, one finally popped up including the remote. Flawless operation-incredible for its age. If I only get a couple years out of it i'll be happy :)

20. Michael

also considering the numerous back up players I have with my DVD & BD players...so I'm covered for quite some time! nice so many devices plays CDs!

c-eling likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, as you know, it was a long ordeal, but in the end I got something I am happy with. The only issue I have had with my Denon is a few (3 or 4) times the drawer didn't close when I pushed the close button, but if I press close again it closes right away. That's 3-4 times out of hundreds of times since this past April. I can get it looked at for free under warranty, but I will have to be without it for a few weeks. And I am not certain that they can fix it, it might just be a intermittent glitch, one that will be certainly hard to reproduce and diagnose. So, I think I might just hang onto it, take my luck, especially if the problem doesn't get any worse (or hopefully just goes away.) I have until next April 26 to bring it to a local Denon Warranty repair center to have it looked at for free.

Best of luck, man. I hope it gives you years of flawless service!

c-eling likes this.
  22. Michael

my DV-Oppo 981 HD plays everything...not the best player but it covers a lot of ground! DVDA-CD-DVD-SACD-DVDR- CDR

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. ssmith3046

That's a handy all in one playing machine. I used to have a Marantz SA8003 but I seldom bought SACDs so I sold it. I'm happy with the old CD5003 for now. Back in the mid ninties I had a top of line Yamaha CD player that I bought new for a bundle, wish I still had that one.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

funny thing many of the old players had problems...especially with CDRs...
    The Oppo...it's not the best, but It was priced so reasonably I had to buy it...Ummm, $18.00 used. Did I do good? ; )

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

Eighteen bucks well spent I'd say.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.