Issue with Audio Technica LP 120

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by felipepena, Dec 1, 2022.

1. felipepena

felipepena Member Thread Starter

Hi there!

I bought the Audio Technica LP 120 turntable with a amplifier: Denon AVR-S760H
    I also got some passive speakers.

When I connect Bluetooth to the amplifier, it sounds good in both speakers.
    But when I try to listen the turntable via "Phono" in the same amplifier, I hear muffled sound.
    The turntable and the amplifier are connected via RCA cables.

Can someone help figure what could be the issue?

2. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

make sure the phono pre amp is on and all connected right, But also consider the phono line levels are not as strong of a signal as digital ones. Your AV might have adjustable phono levels. but this is not uncommon with most phonos. getting the right combo is key....you might benefit most to just leave it run via bluetooth with current setup....

You also should run the phono pre amp to a regular line level input,,,,and also try running with the TT's phono pre amp turned off and using the built in one in the AVR if it has...see what works best

3. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I agree with the above post.

There is a switch on the back of the 120 which enables u to use or bypass the 120's internal phono preamp.

If ur getting muffled sound it might be that you have not correctly set the preamp in the rear of the TT. This is a common error.

When using the TT's interior preamp you need to set the switch on the back of the TT to phono. And then you have to run the RCA lines from the TT to a line in on the amp, not the phono in.

And conversely, when using an exterior amp other than the TTs built preamp (such as the phono preamp of the amp) you must set the switch on the TT to line out. This will bypass the TT's preamp. Then run the cables to the phono in line on the amp. Thus, you will use the phono preamp of the amp.

In your case, you might simply move the switch on the back of the 120 to line.

Whenever one mixes these lines up you will experiences great distortion and or muffled sound.

Also, as noted before, there might be a gain control on the amp. Once you get the line outs correctly set you can fool around with it to determine the best sound.

Which preamp you prefer to use is a matter if sound quality.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

TT has to be set to line.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  5. Lenny99

I thought it had a phono setting if u want to use the TT's preamp.

6. Oelewapper

Phono doesn't mean that the phono preamp is enabled; it means it outputs a phono level signal.
    Same with integrated amps that have a switch to select phono, it means it accepts a phono level signal.
    So, phono output to phono input and line output to line input.

EscapedDrifter and Technocentral like this.
  7. Lenny99

Ok. I'm sorry. I got the terms confused. I thought when one choose one was using the phono preamp of the table.

It's been a while since I used my 120.
    Sorry if I confused anyone.

Oelewapper likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

No problem :D

9. felipepena

felipepena Member Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks for all the answers. The problem was fixed by adjusting the "anti-skating" setting in the TT. By adjusting it to 4 it started sounding well!

10. Lenny99

That's seems odd. I can imagine the antiskate helping with inner groove distortion, but to clear up both channels, I don't know how that would help.

Did you check the line inputs from the table to the amp?

Maybe someone else can come in.

At any rate, I'm glad it's OK.