"It: Chapter 2"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks like the creepy factor is high. Saw the trailer before John Wick too.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Final Trailer for Chapter Two:

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'IT-Chapter 2' has been one of the 3 Movies that are on my 'Must See' List this Year, along with 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'(will catch it in early August) and 'The Irishman'(Scorsese Directed with De Niro & Pacino)-not sure of the Fall Release Date yet.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And then there's this...

[​IMG]

Eska68, Walt, FVDnz and 5 others like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like the first one but I'm hopeful the 2nd will be better.

Don't expect it, but hope! :)

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It did make $700 million, has a rating of 86 on Rotten Tomatoes, a 69 on MetaCritics (which is not bad), and a B+ from CinemaScore. If you're familiar with the best-selling novel (which I've read three times), I think you'd be surprised how close they are. If you're not a fan of horror and not a fan of Stephen King, then I'd say stay away.

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m a big fan of the book, which I have read multiple times, and even liked the TV mini series from a few years back (Tim Curry’s Pennywise being the highlight).

The first film didn’t quite work for me; I guess the thing I like about the book and the TV adaptation is the way the story flips between the kids and adults and back again. In the film they’ve clearly decided Part 1=kids, Part 2=adults.

Maybe I’ll need to watch both parts back to back. Or mash them up together on my computer...

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Going to see it. Liked the first one, actually thought it was one of the best horror movies I've seen in a while.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Parents File Complaint Over ‘It Chapter Two’ Posters Terrifying Their Young Children

Box Office: Can ‘It: Chapter Two’ Deliver the Hit Warner Bros. Needs?

Maybe Warner Bros. will allow Disney to use Dumbo as a promo for the film, so that Disney can recoup some of the loss from Dumbo (and at the same time promote IT.) Win-Win situation for both??? ;)

[​IMG]

Seriously, Warner Bros. will have Back-to-Back months of film openings involving clowns (IT Chapter 2 and Joker) that could boost their overall yearly box office take.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Seems unlikely. I expect when its all done, just like with the book, I'll enjoy the part with the kids more than the adults. I really liked part 1, but don't expect to enjoy part 2 as much.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, just got back from a screening of It: Chapter 2 and really loved it. It's definitely a bladder-buster at 161 minutes, but I think it's a rare Stephen King movie that actually improves a bit on the book. There are at least three or four major surprises that I wasn't expecting, and I've read the book three times (all 1100 pages). Terrific performances from all the actors, and stellar technical work. I'd be very surprised if this doesn't do as well or better than the first film. There's a terrific cameo that made me laugh out loud, plus several references to other major horror films (and direct references to King himself) that I thought were just inspired. Intense, right off the horrific scale.

I was very surprised that it was as good as it was. The mass-market reviews are mixed, but as a fan of the book I'm relieved it's this good. I actually got little bit teary-eyed at a couple of moments, particularly certain revelations that become obvious towards the end of the film. You can make a good argument that the very first time you really fall in love, as a kid, might be the most intense and memorable times of your life... and this film showcases this very well.

Film Review: ‘It: Chapter Two’

[​IMG]

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn’t rate the last one
    Money saved.

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I’ve been reading lot of “meh” reviews of chapter 2, so I’m glad to hear that somebody who knows what they’re talking about enjoyed it. I’m seeing it with friends Monday night.

Macman and Vidiot like this.
  16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from Chapter 2 and I liked it as much as Chapter 1. I do know one thing, this version of Chapter 2 is much, much better than the original Made for TV version. I remember I liked Chapter 1 of the original but hated the original Chapter 2.

Bill Hader does indeed steal the movie. He was the best, though all the others were good too, especially the actors who played the adult version of the fat kid and the adult version of the kid who had to use the inhaler.

Also, there was a cameo in the movie that was nice and a few throwbacks to other movies.

Stephen King is the cameo and basically makes fun of himself via James McAvoy's character who is a horror writer who writes good stories but always has crappy endings to his books. McAvoy's character asks Stephen King if he would like his autograph on one of his books that King's character was reading and King said "No". LOL

Also there is a scene in the movie that is a throwback to Carrie and The Shining, but I won't spoil what they actually are and when they happen.

There could be other throwbacks to other Stephen King movies in the movie, but I didn't notice any if there were any.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just saw this thread after I posted in the original thread. I just got back from seeing it and loved it.

I will paste here what I wrote in the other one:

Just got back from Chapter 2 and I liked it as much as Chapter 1. I do know one thing, this version of Chapter 2 is much, much better than the original Made for TV version. I remember I liked Chapter 1 of the original but hated the original Chapter 2.

Bill Hader does indeed steal the movie. He was the best, though all the others were good too, especially the actors who played the adult version of the fat kid and the adult version of the kid who had to use the inhaler.

Also, there was a cameo in the movie that was nice and a few throwbacks to other movies.

Stephen King is the cameo and basically makes fun of himself via James McAvoy's character who is a horror writer who writes good stories but always has crappy endings to his books. McAvoy's character asks Stephen King if he would like his autograph on one of his books that King's character was reading and King said "No". LOL

Also there is a scene in the movie that is a throwback to Carrie and The Shining, but I won't spoil what they actually are and when they happen.

There could be other throwbacks to other Stephen King movies in the movie, but I didn't notice any if there were any.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    MoonPool likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a major reveal about Bill Hader's character that I thought came right out of the blue, but it really worked well for the film. I will say no more except I found it to be a surprising and interesting touch, and while it changed the novel a little bit, I thought it added an emotional edge to the film that was very moving and emotional. As I said before, it's rare that I see a movie of a Stephen King novel that alters his story and manages to improve on it in some ways. (Bill Hader is on fire this year: between this movie and the HBO TV series Barry, I would be amazed if the comedian doesn't wind up with some major acting awards.)

Oh, there's enough throwbacks and asides that I think you could write a 1000-word essay on all the in-jokes and King references going on.

One criticism I had: the novel takes place in 1958 with the kids, then jumps to 1985 -- 27 years later -- with the kids now adults having to fight the demon all over again. But the movie takes place in 1988 -- complete with "Bust a Move," "Hangin' Tough," and similar late-1980s hits -- and then jumps to 2015 for the modern-day adventures with the adults. But some elements, like the quaint little carnival and "Big Bill's" old-fashioned bike where he yells "Hiyo, Silver!" don't make a lot of sense today. These are very small nit-picks on a film that I think is equally horrifying and emotionally moving.

BTW, it's interesting to see the elements that were omitted from the 1130+ page novel: in the book, two of the characters' spouses fly to Derry to chase after their mates, with unexpected results. This is completely dropped from the movie, and I can see where it's a bit of a plot complication that would just take up more time. There's also no reference to the (very mild) sex scenes, which the director has admitted just isn't possible in a contemporary commercial American film, and I get that. They also simplified some of the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo about the million-year-old demon that came to earth riding a comet, and I think we can all safely live without that. But just know there's a lot more to Pennywise than the brief glimpses we get in the movie.

[​IMG]

Let me warn sensitive viewers that there's some very, very scary & intense R-rated scenes that will shock the living **** out of you if you're not prepared for it. (In particular, there are at least 2 or 3 awful, violent deaths of small children that made me turn my head, and I'm a cynical jerk who's seen everything.) As I said, I watched the earlier 1990 TV movie and read the book three times, so I know this story backwards and forwards... but there's still some jump-out-your-seat shocks in this thing. I will say no more so as not to spoil the surprises, but this movie makes The Shining feel like a pleasant roller-skating trip through Central Park in the daytime with perfect weather.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will personally refund your money if you hate it.

Leviethan and Ghostworld like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

:bigeek:

21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I watched it yesterday. Here are some of my spoiler free thoughts:

The good - Bill Hader. He’s phenomenal. He steals the show with regards to the adults in the film.

Pennywise - So good. Bill Skarsgård is so good here that you don’t want his scenes to end. Pennywise is the highlight of the movie. I can’t imagine anybody doing a better job as Pennywise.

Most of the CGI is done very well.

The bad - Too long. The movie never gains momentum.

The de-aging CGI used on the kids looks ridiculous.

Not enough Pennywise. You get very little Pennywise. You have to cherish his scenes.

Chastain & McAvoy are arguably miscast.

The ending was too rushed and convenient. Not convincing enough. Too easy.

Chapter 1 is far better but there are nuggets in this film that are great like Hader’s and Pennywise’s scenes.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Watch it for Pennywise and Skarsgård. His scenes are memorable. A truly convincing and terrifying villain.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Please tell me they got another XTC song in there......:agree:

rikki nadir likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would disagree except that it has a bloated middle, and that does slow things down. You basically have six characters, and each one gets a 10-minute segment (some even longer) to go out and re-experience their past and bring back a "token" for the ritual. And that's a long hour. I think the scene with Beverly returning to her childhood apartment might be the scariest damned thing in the entire movie, and the video game arcade flashback scene with Bill Hader plants a seed that gets a payoff at the very end.

You know, I don't quite agree, but I do agree that it was noticeable in some shots. I bet it was a time/money issue where if they had another $10 million and another 2 months, it could've been perfect... but it is what it is.

I honestly disagree there and I think they were close enough to pass. In fact, all of them are cast pretty well. They basically needed an adult cast that was about 40 years old -- that's saying they were 11-12 years old in 1989, and are now 38-39 in 2015 (the year of It: Chapter 2) -- and I think they look close enough that I can buy into it. Note that the character of Mike Hanlon (the librarian who stays behind) has an actor who is 45, the oldest in the film, and he worked fine to me.

You prefer Pennywise turning into "Maturin, the Space Turtle" from the book? Jesus. (There's a running gag in the movie about how writer McAvoy has books and screenplays with weak endings, and several people poke fun at him... including Stephen King himself.)

Note that the movie has made about $92 million over the weekend in America and another $91M overseas, so it's already done very well financially at roughly $185 million...

‘It Chapter Two’ Books $39M Through Friday At International Box Office

New Line’s It Chapter Two slotted the second best global opening for a horror film of all-time with $185M, right behind 2017’s It which debuted to $189.7M. This was a similar case for the $79M production stateside where the Andy Muschietti-directed sequel notched the second best opening for both a horror pic and September release. Chapter Two is expected to be profitable like the first film, but less than its near $300M after ancillaries.

I concede that the reviews are mixed compared to the first one: 64% on Rotten Tomatoes (though 80% with the audience), and only a 58 on Metacritic. I come from a different place because this is a rare case where I read the novel and saw a previous TV movie, so I have another perspective on where it could have gone and how relieved I was that this one was as good as it was.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Chrome_Head, kouzie and bherbert like this.
  25. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I mean, they could have come up with something better than what amounted to a middle-school roast of shouting “I know you are, but what am I” at him.

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.