It looks like Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here AP will be released on 12-28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

Was just looking at the Acoustic Sounds site for a release date on the next Jimi Hendrix SACD. I found that they listed Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here SACD as being release on 12-28 of this year. I will be in line for it. They had a while back listed DSOTM as being remastered and released on SACD by them, did not see ant thing on that.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Why would they do DSotM? It all ready exists and mixed to 5.1.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Go Chad! Put that on vinyl, and I’m in!

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

And what's wrong with the current digitally-sourced vinyl? :)

This is just a re-issue of an old SACD, already discussed in other threads.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ah. Oh well, one can dream...

I’m a big fan of AP. I get all a-quiver when they release anything!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  6. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Anyone know when the re-release of the DSOTM sacd will be released, and will it just be a re-issue of the 30th, or will this one be a new master with different artwork, etc?

7. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

$21 cheapest shipping option within the US? How well packaged is this thing?! Would love to pick this up but man, $21 shipping is a hard pill to swallow when you're so conditioned to Prime shipping rates (and everyone else who's gone down due to the competition). For a big box set or high value/weight vinyl, sure, I can see it; but for what appears to be a case smaller than the size of the recent Gilmour releases, this seems excessive.

Urgh...why are the important decisions in life so hard? :p

mando_dan likes this.
  8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

They’re just trying to get you to spend that $89 for “free” shipping.

9. rcrawley

Hah! I thought the same thing, until I read the terms of that offer which excludes pre-orders from the $89 calculation. Sounds like I'll be setting a calendar reminder to order this on 12/28...I'm sure there's something else on the site I can find worth trying (new to AP). If only they had the older Dead Can Dance SACD box set...been on my wishlist for years.

10. rcrawley

Ok, I just can't pull the trigger on $21 shipping (sorry AP, I really, really want to, but just can't encourage that biz model) and can't find enough other items to push the price into free shipping. I've never purchased from AP before, so pardon the question if it's obvious: Do they distro at all through local retailers in the US or globally? Would happily pick this up from a local shop over shipping, even at a premium.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

You can get it cheaper at importcds.com, although it's back ordered currently.

rcrawley likes this.
  12. rcrawley

Was searching around and found the original AP SACD release page with some interesting reviews:

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here-Hybrid Multichannel SACD|Acoustic Sounds

So it made me wonder:
    • How does the 5.1 compare to the Immersion mix? According to Discogs the Immersion 5.1 is from 2009, so interested to hear how it compares to the 2011 SACD (or perhaps it's actually the same given it was also mixed by Guthrie)?
    • Does the Immersion mix (new stereo or 5.1) contain the missing piano?
    I'll admit although I'm a huge Floyd fan I haven't really obsessed over the various mixes that have come out with/since the Why...? boxes and releases, but now my interest in piqued. :)

13. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

My AP SACD of WYWH should ship out Monday 1/7 from Music Direct. :)

14. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

I preordered from Music Direct.

And a local music shop had one in stock when I visited on January 1.

And I wait patiently,
    Tom

15. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

...And I will be waiting patiently, too.....

16. hexabc

hexabc Well-Known Member

Shipping via Fedex is $15.82. Their packaging of CDs is very resistant to crashing. They never use soft envelopes as Amazon does.

17. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

It'll probably be a surprise to no one, but I wanted to confirm for everyone... I have extracted the DSD layer from both my 2011 SACD and my copy of the new SACD and they are identical, exact same peak levels and DR across the board. I know this is what most have assumed since these were announced, but again, I just wanted to confirm it for anyone who might be considering buying the new one in case there is a difference. Other than adding the Pink Floyd Records logo to the back and the spine no longer says "special limited edition sacd", they are exactly the same.

18. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Also, weirdly, the copyright date on the booklet and SACD are 2016, even though it is a 2011 mastering and was released at the tail end of 2018. I'm assuming that's the year PFR was set up?

rcrawley likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Alan, nice to see, and good for those who are wanting a beautiful presentation- book style, post cards. (which I find trumps the mastering :winkgrin:)
    of this classic.

AlanDistro likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm sure this was covered elsewhere- is the DSD on this SACD the same mastering as the 24/96 stereo on the Immersion BD? I listened to the 24/96 and I really liked the sound quality.

21. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

got this from amazon yesterday - acoustic sounds was sold out - and $5 cheaper on amazon! sounds amazing!

22. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Anyone know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.