It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It still blows my mind that they captured him recording such an awful song. It was filmed and released before the album had come out, so I guess everyone just assumed whatever Edge was working on would be a hit. Oops. (My gut feeling is that this was requested by U2's team in order to achieve promotional synergy knowing the film would arrive around the time of their next album/tour. It backfired)

mick_sh likes this.
  2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Agree on Johnny Marr, otherwise Tom Morello.

ConnieGuitar and Roberto899 like this.
  3. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

While Jack White may have not been the best choice, I think the contrast between him and the Edge is what the movie is about. Edge uses every piece of technology available to get sound out of the guitar contrasted with White on the porch with a piece of wood getting guitar sounds show what you can really do with a guitar. Most of the other suggestions here are too much the same. Page, Edge, & White work so well because they are so different as is their approach to the instrument. Tom Morello is the best alternative choice I have seen in my view.

4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I personally thought he was a great pick!

For me it was nice having the contrast to Jimmy and Jack, having a guitar player who instead of doing the same thing based in the same place musically, focuses on creating sonic textures through the use of pedals and technology. He may not be technically the best guitar player, but for me I can appreciate him a lot for having his own thing going on

5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Daniel Ash
    Nels Cline
    Lee Renaldo and Thurston Moore
    Black Francis/Frank Black
    Vernon Reid

Trying to stay in the same vein as the movie. Different approaches to the instrument through different generations.

100423 and mick_sh like this.
  6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like him.

stewedandkeefed and ConnieGuitar like this.
  7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

The Edge was a total head scratcher to me. EVH would have been the 'correct' choice.

grapenut and mick_sh like this.
  8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like him.

ConnieGuitar and dlokazip like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Jack is not the most technical player ever, but I like his phrasing and just his sheer bombastic way of soloing and riffing, it is very raw and primal. I can play everything he plays, as can most guitar players I would assume, however he writes in a very unique and cool way.

And like him or not, he does have his own sound even within the blues/garage rock paradigm

10. poidog

poidog Senior Member

He needed the money! OH!!!

jwoverho, uncle, Silver1973 and 4 others like this.
  11. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Steve Albini
    Articulate, opinionated and creative.
    Many points of discussion...from guitars and tech, to the "Industry" and the studio.
    No doubt interesting discussions would develop.
    Three decades of influence in one (80"s Big Black, 90's and 2000's engineer/recorder and Shellac)

12. Jeff Beck should have made a surprise visit, burned down the place with plexis at full roar and left. The End.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

If Jack hadn't been in it, nobody under 60 would've watched it.

JuanTCB likes this.
  15. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of Morello's shoving his politics in your face all the time but, as a guitarist? For me he rocks

warewolf95 and sunking101 like this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

His solos are awful.:confused:

warewolf95, Fullbug and yarbles like this.
  17. downer

downer Senior Member

Any other sideman...

Thank you, I’ll be here all week, try the veal...

bluejimbop likes this.
  18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Correct. They are just noise, and not very pleasant noise either.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Slash would work for me.

davesmoked and sunking101 like this.
  20. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Could have dumped Jack White for Trey from Phish for example. This would leave many rolling their eyes, but he is one of the few guitar players from the 90s that has a fan base built primarily around their reputation as a great guitar player.

21. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

:D

OT, but d'you reckon it says The Edge in his passport? Doesn't he feel a bit daft at his age having a stage name?

bluejimbop likes this.
  22. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

If you are bookending with Page and White, then it does make more sense to have someone else in the blues-classic rock continuum in the middle, like say Slash. If it WAS supposed to be about generational changes in use of the guitar in quasi-rockish music, then you shouldn't have ended with White. Not sure who you SHOULD have, but.....

23. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

True, Jimmy and Jack have a solid foundation in the blues but I thought their approaches and backgrounds were quite different. The Edge certainly was the big outlier between the three.

dkmonroe and mick_sh like this.
  24. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Well....my substitute for Jack White ( cause he has NO business being with such royalty)
    would be... a jazzer, someone a little left of center style wise... yet someone iconic as well....
    Say...Robert Fripp?

25. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The contrast between the three was necessary unless you really wanted a 90-minute movie of three dudes sitting around saying, "So, you like the blues?" "Yeah." "Me too, dude." "Love me some blues." "Cool."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.