It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Brian Setzer. Taking that big ol' Eddie Cochran Gretsch and playing jazz chords like a virtuoso at age 19. Be interesting to hear him talk about it.

But like others, I don't mind Edge at all here. I also love how he's not the slightest bit shy about talking about how effects-driven his sound is and demonstrating how 'boring' it can be without.

mick_sh likes this.
  2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Derek Bailey.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What a joke. First two responses are shredders.

lesterbangs likes this.
  4. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

Angus Young or Thurston Mooore, since the title is what is, the guitarist should all be loud. not Edgy or twiddly

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As opposed to the more talented (as in "ability") guitar players, the movie showcased three of the more creative guitar players, each representing a different decade/generation. Not guys who are masters technically, but guys who approach the instrument in their own unique ways that pushed the guitar-rock genre further from when each one found it. With that in mind, all three players were great choices, especially when compared to some of the more robotic players who are technically perfect, but have little to no creativity in them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, I actually felt quite nervous for The Edge in that jam at the end - wondered whether he could keep up! :laugh:

Paully and mick_sh like this.
  7. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

You wouldn't say that Jimmy Page was a very technically talented guitar player? I always thought of him that way given he was a studio musician and was tapped to play on a lot of records before Led Zeppelin. But I wouldn't know in any real sense never having played the instruement myself. I wouldn't argue the creative point for all three at all.

8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is what old people said back in the day about Hendrix too! :D

I really like Morello as a guitar player, he can shred but at the same time I dig the "noise" solos. I think that for those solos people have to understand that they aren't meant to serve the same purpose as "traditional" guitar solos, they accentuate and add rhythmic patterns or sonic textures to the songs

10. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Exactly, it's a film and the contrast makes it work. Regardless of my views on the three as players; they're all passionate and accomplished, and the "story" throughline is solid, which makes for a great experience.

petem1966 and Roberto899 like this.
  11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

At the top of his game, Jimmy was fairly adept at many things, and at his very best, one of the fastest rock players around. His electric work always had a bit of roughness about it -- Jeff Beck was cleaner, and even faster. Clapton was always really smooth. I guess Blackmore could be considered a better technical player too. Jimmy's acoustic work was always great, and set him apart from the other iconic rock players.

12. misteranderson

If Jack has to go, then I would have wanted Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead, a player who uses pedals and electronics (a la The Edge, but in a totally different way), and is a well-rounded musician who is as different and creative as Jack.

Billy Duffy would have made no sense at all.

EVH would have been very interesting.

A Jimmy Page who was a practicing, working guitarist at the time the film was made would have been fantastic, but you know.....

But I love what The Edge brought to the table. Always loved his approach to the instrument.

13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

"So, blues guys, wanna act like three camp counselors in their fifties around the fire and stumble thru an acoustic take on "The Weight"? "Uh....not really....."

14. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

No....no....no....he's all wrong, never could he produce the fine guitar work on all those more guitarish albums from Achtung on. You're having a loff. ;)

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If the remit was, pick someone else other than the Edge so even less people watch this music, this thread would have achieved it's goal well before page 4 :)

DHamilton and BadJack like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

Why? He’s got the riffs, the textures, the solos... he has developed a unique guitar sound... and he looks like David Beckham. What else do you need?

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Johnny Buckland seems to be his prodigal son...........no?

18. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

I'm not particularly a fan, but I respect Jack White's unconventional approach to the instrument, and find him to be one of the more innovative non-hard rock/heavy metal guitarists in rock since the 21st Century (so far, a very bland millennium for the mainstream genre). It was a good mix of wildly varying M.O.s and represented three generations pretty well, with White showcasing the more lo-fi, iconoclastic-yet-reverent, primitivist, indie approach of the '00s, The Edge - the textured, immaculately-crafted soundscapes and tones of the '80s, Jimmy Page - the melodic, adventurous blues-based, heavy metal pioneering of the late '60s/'70s).

Personally, I'm glad a neo-classical 'shredder' virtuoso wasn't chosen to represent either the '80s or '00s, as they largely derived from [​IMG] and their peers' style, and a 'shred-fest' of Page, Malmsteen, etc. wouldn't have been appealing to audiences outside of the metal/hard-rock acolyte crowd.

A fourth guitarist would have been a nice addition, though, particularly someone older and earlier than Page, like Dave Davies, Pete Townshend, or even a '50s or earlier icon like Chuck Berry or Les Paul (who were both still alive at the time), etc. That was the real missed opportunity with It Might Get Loud. Why have Jimmy play the records that inspired him when they could have included a living guitarist who had in the flesh?

DHamilton and audiotom like this.
  19. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Wicked!

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not sure why people keep mentioning Noel. No offence to the guy, I like him but I don't think he really cares enough to actually discuss his technique or anything about guitar playing in general. I remember one doc where he basically said a guitar is a plank of wood with strings on it and that's it (paraphrasing). He always came across, to me, as a guy who played guitar simply because he could and it helped him write songs, rather than someone who wanted to be a guitar player. Which is fine.

ConnieGuitar and mick_sh like this.
  21. misteranderson

Billy's great. But U2 vs. The Cult, it's no contest, impact-wise. I mean, I like The Cult, but they split up at some point, and U2 started playing stadiums in 1987 and never stopped. Well, maybe they stopped a few years ago, I haven't kept up.

Now I think need to hear some Cult to refresh my memory.

22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

Do it. The last two albums are really fantastic.

23. I mention him just because he’s so quotable and would surely be entertaining in a movie like this - which, despite its ostensible angle, wasn’t as technically focused as I was expecting. But you’re right, perhaps you could swap him out here for, say, Johnny Marr. Or, per the below post, Pete Buck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    eddiel likes this.
  24. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

25. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Rik Emmett. He's well matured and can play percussively - it's easy to adopt a delay pedal in the formula.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.