It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

He'd certainly keep the conversation going!

I love the guy - and his playing - but I can't for the life of me picture him jamming with the other two.

2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Will Sergeant

3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I would swap jack white for Billy Gibbons

mick_sh likes this.
  4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

Have mercy!

5. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

My first thought is that to replace The Edge, you would want to go with one of his contemporaries since the idea was to have basically three generations working together in this film. Maybe Roger Miller (Mission of Burma) or Peter Buck (R.E.M.).

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  6. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Very true. I'd rather have Link Wray play one power chord than all the shredders in the world playing as fast as they can.

7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I saw Triumph once when they were about as famous as they were gonna get, and Rik ripped my head off. He's fantastic, but again, not a big enough name

Johnny Marr or Peter Buck would actually have made sense. Different enough from the other two, and very distinctive.

mdent likes this.
  8. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Perfect answer.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

While not a The Edge substitute, I would have loved to have Little Steven here.

[​IMG]

So Jackie boy, what's up with that sh***y guitar you have made yourself? Get the... out of here. (I know, that's Silvio Dante, but still.) :D

DHamilton, Fullbug and Brian Lux like this.
  10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Nothin Little about Stevie these days.

Jimijam, DHamilton, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Seriously. Johnny is kind of the median between Buck and Edge, if such a thing is possible.

12. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Daniel Ash period.

SirMarc, Dudley Morris and Guitarded like this.
  13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

"Technical"? No, not really. He was always known as bit of a "sloppy" player (which I endorse, hence my user-name), but he more than made up for it with feel and soul - far more feel/emotion in one of his notes than in an entire solo by someone like Steve Vai.

14. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

This is a great idea. Best would have been James Burton or Scotty Moore

Atmospheric and Classicolin like this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Ok if not my previous picks of CC DeVille or Esteban I'd say Johnny Marr would be a nice choice.

16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Jimmy's a little older than Dave and Pete, and had a career before both of them, as a studio player.

A genuine '50's player would have been great. Chuck would have made it interesting, that's for sure. I don't know how well Les was at the time, but he might have been perfect, with his obvious influence on Page.

17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Yeah, it has to be Marr instead of White for the 'alternative' younger player but he's knocking on a bit now! Not much younger than The Edge! Otherwise some metal/blues player. Perhaps Bonamassa (not that I'm a massive fan of his). I do think Jack White was there to get the kids interested in buying the DVD though.

18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Well said.

I see it like this:

Page: coolest guy on earth, playing Rumble and being driven around in fancy cars ------ most disappointing performances, nary a hint as to why is so exalted.

Edge: Nice guy, modest, could have a beer with, etc. ------ made impressive music, and explained how it was done, too.

Jack White: comes off a bit bratty and too self-conscious about being an iconoclast to actually be one ----- played cool stuff, like he usually does, but nothing blew me away, like he sometimes does.

The three are excellent choices for the film, they all approach the instrument in a different way. Any number of players put in that position might have made as good or better a film. It all depends what the filmmakers capture on the day(s) they are given. A jam session with some real sparks would be cool, no matter what demographic the players appealed to.

19. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think J Mascis or Bob Mould would be decent choices.

Brian Lux likes this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I don't think they have enough mainstream appeal.

21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

That's true, probably more my own personal choices.

22. I like Jack White for what he is and I also thought had no business being in the film other than to interest fans.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Joe Satriani

24. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I don’t play guitar but it never occurred to me that The Edge was some sort of guitar legend. But what do I know.

mick_sh likes this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Andy Summers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.