It was 38 years ago today, when Geddy Lee taught the band to play

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BluesOvertookMe, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I really like the next three, Power Windows, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure! Hold Your Fire sounds dated and the lyrics aren't as great. Played the crap out of it though back in the day, not much today.

davers and Queezma like this.
  2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Moving Pictures is one of those albums that marks a change in the bands trajectory. I love the album, bought it the day it came out and still listen to it. BUT... Having seen them on the previous two tours it was just weird to see them with shorter hair, wearing jeans and jackets, I mean their whole look changed. I still think Permanent Waves is a better album, and A Farewell to Kings is my favorite album, and Hemispheres is them at their musical height bending all their powers to utmost musical perfection.

So what I'm saying is the three album run prior to Moving Pictures is of a different, grander era. I love The Camera Eye... it reminds me of Natural Science.

I saw the Hemispheres tour, the Permanent Waves tour, the Moving Pictures tour, the Signals tour, the Power Windows tour, and the R40 tour. The Permanent Waves tour was just the best of all six. They looked like they just rode in from Lothlorien with their long hair and elven garb, and they played majestically that night, still retaining some of those great old songs that they would lose on the next tour.

Gregster, Crungy, J_D__ and 5 others like this.
  3. Kevlaur

Kevlaur Member

When it hits 40 years I’ll be buying the anniversary edition.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Top 5, for me. Kings is #1, though, for me. Side 2 is equally good. Not a duff track anywhere

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I've heard it so many times, I could puke.

Still a damn fine album.

longdist01 and footlooseman like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Every song.
    Classic.
    It's a shame the 5.1 wasn't a bit better

Gregster likes this.
  7. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

My favorite Rush album, favorite song on it - Witch Hunt. I selected "Every Song" in the poll, though I generally change the channel when Tom Sawyer comes on because of overplaying fatigue. My band Freshman year of college played Red Barchetta and Limelight (along with What You're Doing and In the Mood).

BluesOvertookMe and footlooseman like this.
  8. Karmadave

Karmadave Forum Resident

Rush's masterpiece. Saw them twice on their Moving Pictures Tour. Good times :D

The MEZ, J_D__ and footlooseman like this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I almost feel like I take this album for granted, because I have heard it so many times, but it's still amazing and one of my all-time favorite records.

10. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

Came out when I was about 12...one of the most important albums in my life. I have stories and memories connected to each song. It’s snowing here in New York today and I’m reminded that this is one of my favorite albums to listen to while skiing.
    I remember never returning my best friends cassette copy of Exit Stage Left, which has amazing versions of Red Barchetta and YYZ. Limelight was showcased on Kasey Kasem’s weekly pop music TV show.

The perfect Rush album.

aphexj, The MEZ and Doggiedogma like this.
  11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Rush's best album

aphexj, The MEZ, J_D__ and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a person who has never smoked a joint. :D

aphexj, Smokin Chains, enro99 and 4 others like this.
  13. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Side one surely has to be the best single side of their career.

I remember hearing Limelight first, and it was great, but soon the mighty Tom Sawyer was all over the radio.
    It took BOC's Im Burning For You to finally give it somewhat of some competition that summer.

YYZ was played often as well, just to keep some Rush on the radio, and to not play TS once again.
    Red Barchetta was an interesting one. They mainly played that after the sun went down, and its an awesome night driving tune.

I dont think anybody I knew even turned the record over to the 2nd side until Christmas that year.

I think the only real criticism I have of this album is that they maybe could have sequenced it better to balance out the record.

aphexj, enro99 and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gregster likes this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Even though the two albums surrounding it are my favorite Rush albums Moving Pictures is nearly perfect.

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Imo all of side two points the way forward. Side one could be considered a continuation of Permanent Waves.

aphexj and 100423 like this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

For years I considered Signals their best album and then one day about 7/8 years ago I was listening to Moving Pictures and I realized I'd been wrong all those years...Moving Pictures was #1. It was a happy day. Fantastic album; every song is great. Limelight is the best thing they've ever written.

Great thread title! I laughed.

The MEZ and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This is true! :righton:

aphexj and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really love the first album, I don't care what people say about it!

Gregster, vinyl diehard, Dave and 4 others like this.
  20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I remember back in the day MTV playing their concert from this tour with Tome Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Limelight in single song video rotation. Red Barchetta is my favorite Rush song.

aphexj and The MEZ like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've never heard it. Bit worried it's too "Led Zep" for my tastes.

The completist in me regularly urges me to buy a copy though. :)

22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hear more Sabbath in Alex's playing than Zep, but what do I know?!

vinyl diehard and carlwm like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That would be much more palatable to my ears.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Reminds me of driving to ATL by myself to catch the band on the tour (Time Machine?) where they played MP in order for the second set. Hearing The Camera Eye live was glorious.
    I can't be objective about this album. For a long time I knew every single bassline by memory (although my YYZ was never as crisp as Geddy's). Red Barchetta is still a Top 5 all-time Rush song for me, but really every song is top-notch.

aphexj, carlwm and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Moving Pictures is a fantastic album all the way through. It's not just the songs but the way that they sequenced that makes this album so special.

carlwm, BluesOvertookMe and The MEZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.