It was 38 years ago today, when Geddy Lee taught the band to play

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BluesOvertookMe, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Funny, but when one of the big complaints about a record is, is that you've heard it too much....

I mean thats like saying, Reese's Peanut Butter cups are awesome, but after eating a million of them, I sort of got sick of them.
    Thats not Reeses or MP fault.....haha

aphexj, J_D__, enro99 and 1 other person like this.
  2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

It's an undeniably great album, but this is the year 2019 that we are living in. I want to hear outtakes, alternates, studio run-throughs, working rough mixes, a new Steven Wilson remix, isolated tracks, live soundboards from the tour where they were playing the songs before the album was released, and a completely instrumental remix.

aphexj and enro99 like this.
  3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that some people say they can't even listen to Tom Sawyer anymore because it's been played so much, but it's one of those songs that still holds its excellence after thousands of plays. I still love it. Although if pressed for a favorite, right now mine is YYZ.

aphexj, Instant Dharma and Efus like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I haven't got sick of either:)

aphexj, Efus and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

I just received the DVD audio 5.1 version.
    It sounds great to me.
    I never had a vinyl or CD version.
    Bought mine from a UK ebay seller.
    Very reasonable. $16 delivered price.

aphexj likes this.
  6. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

You've obviously not listened to this album two thousand, one hundred and twelve times yet. :D

Gregster, aphexj and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I've never heard the Zep in Rush's debut. Many people do but I don't pick up the influence.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It seems to be the perceived idea, doesn't it? I really will have to give it a listen rather than let the Zep thing put me off.

9. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Always loved the band's musicality and can listen to the tunes now and then without too much fatigue. Did used to wonder what the band would sound like with a different vocalist. Somebody once described Geddy's voice as a duck after inhaling helium.:)

carlwm likes this.
  10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Rush's debut reflects more of a blues rock flavor, and that where the Zep citation comes from.
    The comparison wasnt uncommon for groups of that era, they wouldnt have been wrong citing Cream either,
    but Rush, aside from Working Man, hadnt really displayed much of what they would eventually become.

I like blues rock, and I was surprised when I first heard those tunes off the debut.
    I think the debut album is quite good, but Rush never really went back to that sound, and evolved in a very different direction when Peart was added.
    Its definitely worth a listen.

carlwm, Smokin Chains and The MEZ like this.
  11. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Love it. Think it is their most consistent album, all good tracks, even if not my favorite overall, that would be Farewell to Kings.

aphexj, Efus and carlwm like this.
  12. davers

davers Forum Resident

The longbox reference makes me think you're talking about the first day of release in CD format? The actual LP was released in early '81, a couple of years before CDs were available.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I been erring towards buying a copy & - cheers! :righton: - I think you've helped persuade me. Not sure It'll be entirely for me. I'm more of an Eighties Rush fan but I think it needs to be heard.

Efus likes this.
  14. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

If I recall, it was a 24 x 12 box with the records 2 abreast. I could be totally misremembering the box though.

It was the first time I was ever on the ball enough to get a record on release day!

davers likes this.
  15. Well said. Peart is God...

[​IMG]

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't think it's as obvious as some do, but it is there. The riff from In the Mood always reminds me of the riff from Houses of the Holy, and the LZ song came out a year after the Rush song, so good luck figuring that one out. lol

Smokin Chains and Murph like this.
  17. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

And Finding My Way reminds me of Zep’s Celebration Day...

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finding My Way is way better....

Smokin Chains likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

Hmmm, I will have to listen to Celebration Day to remind myself what that one sounds like. I love Zep, but only really like about half of III.

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Although it didn't appear until the Physical Graffiti album, Houses of the Holy (the song) was recorded in 1972 during the sessions for the album of the same title.

21. George Co-Stanza

Ah, that's right. I was wondering about that when typing that last post and was hoping someone would know this for sure. :cool:

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

First time I heard What You're Doing, I thought they copped a bit of Heartbreaker and sped it up a bit, for the main riff.
    What fan of blues rock wouldnt like this, imo?

Murph likes this.
  23. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

In my hometown we had a very humble music store, open for business just long enough for my dad to get me my first

guitar. The proprietor had written to Neil Peart and he got back a postcard exactly like this picture. It said something

about him not really being into ‘fanclubs’ and wishing him good luck with his new business. He gave it pride of place on

the cork board. It was a nice gesture and an authentic Rush ‘artifact’. A gift from the outside world!

aphexj and Old Rusty like this.
  24. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Alright, who wants to start the RUSH song-by-song thread??? If any band needs one here, it's RUSH!!! :):cool::goodie:

aphexj likes this.
  25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The only reason I DON'T listen to Rush is Geddy Lee. They are an outstanding band MUSICALLY, but I just can't take his voice. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.