It was 38 years ago today, when Geddy Lee taught the band to play

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BluesOvertookMe, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Have you tried some of the Eighties records where he tones down the high pitched cackling?

If not Grace Under Pressure might be a good starting point.

aphexj, DiabloG and Chris Schoen like this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thanks, I do need to find something I can appreciate from them. Vinyl is preferred. :righton:

carlwm likes this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's a strong album. If you give it a blast, I hope that Geddy's singing is more in your wheelhouse! :righton:

DiabloG and Chris Schoen like this.
  4. Dean Learner

Dean Learner Forum Resident

Me, my brother and probably 3 other friends jammed in my brothers civic, all simultaneously air drumming Tom Sawyer through a haze of smoke. Where does the time go?

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's great album, no doubt about that. I sense the band themselves are still proud of it and have good memories of making it otherwise they would not have gone to the length of performing the whole thing in 2011

I truly could not pick a favourite, all seven tracks are killer. Still, on some days I prefer to spin A Farewell to Kings or Grace Under Pressure

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    carlwm likes this.
  6. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums of all time and I clearly remember buying the vinyl and constantly playing it as an eighth grader. It meant just as much to me as The Beatles and Rolling Stones and they are both my favorite bands.

I picked "Limelight" but I could pick any of of a number songs. Amazing interplay from bass and drums, great guitar sounds and surprisingly melodic as well. One of the reasons I play bass and six string guitars is from this album.

I am a huge Rush fan.

7. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

R1. I like the album, but the warning signs were there about the new direction they were taking, eg synths instead of guitars leading the way. Exit Stage Left better represents the tunes IMO. RUSH always shine in the live arena, especially during the early to mid 1980's playing the current studio stuff. It sounded more like traditional RUSH, & that's what I missed during the 1980's with the studio records.

R2. Of course.

R3. Both sides.

R4. No.

R5. I prefer everything before this album to be honest, but it is a lot more agreeable to me than Signals, or P/G...Power Windows was the return-to-form I thought, when RUSH sounded like RUSH again...Meaning the music gave you a RUSH listening to it.

Ciao,

Gregster

carlwm and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Every song is excellent, except The Camera Eye, which is merely very good (because it seems to me to be one 5 minute song played twice to make a 10 minute song, and so points are deducted).

--Geoff

BluesOvertookMe and carlwm like this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

This one failed to grab me - I like the music when separated but as a record, I probably prefer all their records from Fly by Night to Grace Under Pressure. Maybe I'd put it ahead of A Farewell to Kings track for track however, even that one has the epic. I think my issue is the album isn't really cohesive in a way I expect it to be. It feels like I'm bouncing off a bunch of unrelated tracks, where almost all their other records, be it in production or better songs.

carlwm likes this.
  10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

On vinyl, the front is cohesive, and the back side is cohesive. Very much so in my opinion.

11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Yeah, definitely the odd one out here.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

☆ July 29 : today is Geddy's 66th birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is an awesome thread.

petem1966 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.