It's A Wonderful Life discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Share away your thoughts, memories, trivia, favorites scenes or quotes, or anything regarding this classic, deserving of its own thread.

Interestingly, one reviewer acknowledged that if George Bailey wasn't played by James Stewart, Bailey wouldn't probably be insufferable. Always obediently doing the right thing for others, George epitomizes sacrificing at the expense of his own hopes and aspirations. But in Stewart's performance, George is never self-pitying or saintly (which other actors would likely make George out to be). He's just an honest, decent man who does what the "right" requires of him. He is so decent that it actually becomes a burden to him - a burden of obedience as one writer put it. It's almost as if he bears the burden of the entire town of Bedford Falls - at least that what it feels like, along with all of his internal burdens of not fulfilling his own dreams.

As often has been noted, most of the film is out of sync with the cheer and brightness of the Christmas season. The cinematography alone is so dark and shadowy in many sequences that one noted "you'd be forgiven for mistaking it for a piece of film noir." One thing that has struck me more and more, and really stays with me in the countless re-watchings of It's A Wonderful Life is the distressed facial expressions of Stewart - somewhat iconic and central to his character.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. Timeless Classics

"Could I Have $17.50?" - Frank Capra rehearsed this scene between James Stewart and Ellen Corby several times. When Corby's character was asked how much money she needed, she replied $17, which was in the script. Just prior to the first actual take, Capra took Corby aside and told her to give Stewart an odd number, thinking it would be funnier. When she said "17.50" to Stewart, he was taken off-guard and impulsively kissed her, which was not in the script. Stewart's spontaneous reply was so genuine that Capra left the scene in the final film... Good old Jimmy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    MikeInFla, Murph, Keith V and 33 others like this.
  3. Oh man, I thought this thread was about Ralphie. :confused:

MikeInFla, head_unit and Saint Johnny like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Timely thread for this wonderful movie.
    Will watch it ( for the 127th time) this week. Never tire of it.

5. empire145

empire145 Forum Resident

I remember in the late 80’s, Temple University’s access channel would show ISWL on a loop- probably when the students were away for the holiday break. I don’t remember how many days in a row it would play this way, but it wasn’t the entire movie. It would cut off just as George got to the library and approached Mary. She would scream, the screen would go dark, and it would start over again.

Also, back in the PD days, when two stations would air different colorized versions at the same time, you could flip channels and see all sorts of different, strange color choices.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Bit soon.

O Don Piano likes this.
  7. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Fantastic movie. Will watch Christmas eve

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

First time I watched it as a child, I had to stop watching before Clarence appeared. My parents switched it off as we had some family plans. I thought it was just about the darkest film I had ever seen. A man who has a good life, beautiful family is desperately unhappy, because he sees himself as an underachiever.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Never too soon, only too late...

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's a wonderful movie! :)

I have the David Niven books, James was with the US Air Force and spent some of his leave in England at David's house. There is a picture in the book of him cutting the lawn.

Clark Gable also visited and probably others through out the war (WW2)

willy, Ro-Go, Saint Johnny and 4 others like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you mean he would be insufferable! :shh:

12. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Love the movie, and I think it works because it has a dark side.
    But it wouldn't be the same movie without James Stewart, wonderful performance.

13. Timeless Classics

TYPO!! You're correct - good catch.

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I watched it as a kid. I found it unbelievable then that his wife became a spinster in the alternative time line and I thought what did Bailey see in her if she was undesirable to other men? I was a cynical little dweeb. I do love the movie and have watched it a hundred times.

head_unit, caracallac, vinnie and 3 others like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

And Donna Reed! Looking great too.

16. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I’ve had the (cynical?) thought that, going by the Pottersville scenes, the music was much better in town if George Bailey had never been born. The music in the tavern is pretty swingin’.

Also, as a public librarian, I’m a little offended by the idea that being a public librarian is a fate worse than death (or marriage).

I love the movie, anyway.

17. Timeless Classics

She was so endearing as Mary. Sam Wainwright had to be jealous! Hee-haw :)

And we of course can't forget Mr. Potter... one the first great movie villains of all time.
    "You just can't keep those Baileys down, now can you, Mr. Potter?"
    [​IMG]

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I like Potter's henchman/butler. He never says a word. Just stands there behind Potter and glares.

19. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I can only imagine how many happy single women, for whatever reason, watched the "after" version of her, and thought, now wait a minute ...

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

It's a Christmas Eve treat for my beloved and I. We won't watch it before. That, and Bill Murray's 'Scrooged'. A perfect paring. We've done it for years.

21. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And of course, don't forget the "lost" ending :p

22. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Hot dog!! This film never fails to bring me to tears. Xmas eve tradition here, too. One of the all time greatest films ever made.

23. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The shot of him running towards the camera and then that slow turn ans stare......one of the greatest filmed shots of all time. Seriously. It gives me chills every single time I see it.

24. Wildest cat from montana

A good scene too is when he reaches into his pocket and Zusu's petals aren't there.
    The nightmare begins...

25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Along with the cemetery scene. Very eerie.