It's not on 4k UHD - but it should be! What's on your wishlist?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gabacabriel, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have them in 4K via iTunes and the mastering/restoration looks superb.

longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  2. Don't tell me (I know you can't, yet) that you have done Saturday Night Fever!

3. I’m holding my breath hoping that Hitchcock’s films will be mastered in 4K. I’m assuming that when they were restored for Bd they were in in 4K or at least 2K but it’s Universal so who knows?

longdist01 and GregM like this.
  4. They were still created in the digital domain s I recall.

5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've seen talk of the Bond films popping up in some places as 4K. I've also seen them listed as 10 bit and sometimes as UHD.

Are they really UHD from iTunes or Hulu? Vidiot seems to say they haven't been rendered in UHD yet, just scanned in 4K. (Maybe I'm mistaking what he said or maybe I'm not understanding)

And.. what sound type are the iTunes or Hulu ones? are they AAC? or DTS?

6. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

12 Monkeys

wayneklein and longdist01 like this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

UHD = 4K in this context. They’re 3840 x 2160 resolution. The audio on iTunes is 5.1 AAC. I don’t think they’re 4K on HULU.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I see.. Thanks.. It looks like the original statement was made that they were not in HDR / Dolby Vision.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct, no HDR/DV. But they still look great! I’ve compared them 1:1 against the most recent big Bond Blu-ray box.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was around when Paramount first mastered Saturday Night Fever, but I believe that was done by Lou Levinson at Modern Videofilm back in the 1980s. I gots no idea who has done it (or not done it) since. Paramount has not exactly been fast and efficient at addressing this market.

Bear in mind that about 50,000 films were made just in the 1990s alone, so there's an awful lot of films still not out on home video, let alone in 4K HDR.

I think the Bond films were restored and remastered in 4K 10-bit, but as far as I know they weren't done in HDR. They could be converted and redone in HDR without a lot of trouble.

longdist01 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  11. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

I saw a couple of mentions for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. It is my understanding that it was shot on film then scanned at 2K resolution. The effects were then done to the 2K digital video. For a 4K release, they would either have to upscale from 2K to 4K, which is cheaper and would likely look better than what's out now on Blu-ray, but isn't real 4K. Alternatively, they could rescan the negatives at higher resolution and redo the effects. This would obviously be more costly and time consuming, but would result in a true 4K release.

This scenario would apply to many movies made from the 90s to the present where the scenes were filmed, then scanned to digital, then CGI is added. You can't just rescan to 4K. The finished master is sub-4K.

zombiemodernist, supermd and Kiko1974 like this.
  12. Boy Blue

Boy Blue Forum Resident

They would have to re-edit the entire film, not going to happen, at least for the last two.

13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

A actually good 4K of the Back to the future trilogy.

I got my hands on a Theatrical DCP of BTTF which was in 2K and had minimal edge enchantment and no DNR. DO IT LIKE THAT, it is by far the best presentation of the film
    available

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The movies are more than worthy for spending the time and money, hopefully the studio sees it that way.

ben_wood and longdist01 like this.
  15. Even The Fellowship Of The Ring from 2001 got a 2K DI? Early DI's don't use to look very well even upscaled and with HDR.
    About redoing all the films to 4K, I don't see it happening, this is extremely expensive and time consuming, even most of today's movies don't get 4K native CGI effects.
    The only case I know on which they redone a movie to 4K is Ridley Scott's The Matian that got a 2K DI for cinema release and it was redone to a 4K, the FX were upscaled to 4K and the live action parts were shot natively to 4K and with both they did a new 4K DI that is the source for the UHD BD.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  16. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies. Dark City, In the Mouth of Madness, Willow, Conan the Barbarian, Kung Pow Enter the Fist

17. Rollerball (1975) should be on UHD BD but according to The Digital Bits will be released at the end of the year.

18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

So I guess I will have 3 copies of it then. The Arrow, The Twilight Time and the 4K. Come to think of it how about the Paper Chase on 4K?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  19. I will too but I don't mind rebuying it again :love: .

20. p147

p147 Forum Resident

Lawrence Of Arabia to buy and with Dolby Atmos.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Blue Underground is about to release their 4K restoration of Two Evil Eyes and it looks absolutely superb on Blu-ray, the anthology with George Romero and Dario Argento. This is one case where I would hope the transfer sees the light of day on UHD.

Two Evil Eyes (2019 L.E.) Blu-ray Review with HD Screenshots

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've seen you mention on here a few times that anything before 1980, for the most part, is pointless in 4K, yet there have been a few releases, like The Wizard of Oz or It's a Wonderful Life, where there are benefits, such as HDR. It seems your posts come mostly from a sharpness perspective, instead of HDR, which can greatly benefit a film and is an important part of 4K. Given that, I would posit that ANY film, from any era, can and will benefit from 4K UHD.

Thoughts?

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Keep in mind, this is the same studio that told Peter Jackson to 'shove it' when he offered to give them extra footage to include in that $800.00 set they released a few years back.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Heard rumors they are going to address this starting next year. But even even if they do, talk about being late to the party. I mean, damn, Roman Holiday still ain't out on blu.

25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The ultimate benefit for a re-release of The Fellowship Of The Ring, will be de-grading that ridiculous teal blanket over the film.

longdist01 and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.