It's not on 4k UHD - but it should be! What's on your wishlist?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gabacabriel, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident Thread Starter

mj_patrick, GregM, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Black Hole

longdist01 and Hyacinth House like this.
  4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"ABBA-The Movie
    "Gone With The Wind"
    "Paper Moon"
    "American Graffiti"

Matt Richardson and DRJOEL65 like this.
  5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)... the 50th anniversary (!!!) is coming up next year, now would be a great time for a brand new 4K scan... if handled right, that film on UHD/HDR would sear your eyeballs :cool:...

bug2362, hi_watt, mj_patrick and 2 others like this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If you are interested, Criterion is releasing this on blu-ray on July 7th.

The War of the Worlds

Special Features and Technical Specs:
    • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • NEW alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, created by sound designer Ben Burtt and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Audio commentary from 2005 featuring filmmaker Joe Dante, film historian Bob Burns, and author Bill Warren
    • Movie Archaeologists, a new program on the visual and sound effects in the film featuring Burtt and film historian Craig Barron
    • From the Archive, a new program about the film's restoration featuring Barron, Burtt, and Paramount Pictures archivist Andrea Kalas
    • Audio interview with producer George Pal from 1970
    • The Sky Is Falling, a 2005 documentary about the making of the film
    • The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds from 1938, directed and narrated by Orson Welles
    • Radio program from 1940 featuring a discussion between Welles and H. G. Wells, author of the 1897 novel The War of the Worlds
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic J. Hoberman

longdist01, Tim Lookingbill and SamS like this.
  7. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II

There Will be Blood

The Player

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd be surprised to see 4K UHDs of "Blood" and "Player", but I'm surprised we don't have 4K UHDs of the "Godfather" flicks yet!

Dunno if it's FFC holding back on those or Paramount! :shrug:

hi_watt likes this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Is this actually b locked? recall hearing it was Region Free Blu-Ray confirmed now.

it's a limited edition release from Imprint in Australia of 1,500 copies with graphic slipcover...when you get it after mid July can you post an update please!

10. gabacabriel

hi_watt and mj_patrick like this.
  11. mysticmisfit

mysticmisfit Forum Resident

The Departed
    Silence
    Snake Eyes
    Scream
    Platoon
    Panic Room

12. gabacabriel

Vidiot likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

To amplify the first paragraph, add "All Movies originally shot in 70mm, and all movies shot in Todd-AO" to that post to cover the classic large film format epics. All of which deserve 4k UHD which does them justice.

Exotiki likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

15. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I'm making a small list. Not sure if these were ever released on 4K, but they need it.
    Alison Krauss+Union Station Live... Filmed in HD but had no HD release. Could take advantage of Dolby Atmos.
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (the entire series)
    Animal House
    O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    The color grading alone should require a 4k release, it's an absolute winner in the looks department.
    Bullitt

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Roger Deakins just talked in his podcast about the difficulty in doing O Brother in 4K, because all the color processing/VFX would have to be redone from scratch.

17. Did he explain why?

18. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

Let me guess, they scanned the film in 2K or something to do the color grading? I wonder...

19. Rollerball should get a proper UHD BD release, the German UHD BD doesn't cut it for me.

20. ...and the VFX were all rendered in 2K.
    Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
    Super 35 (source format)

21. gabacabriel

I had no idea Rollerball had even had a 4k release....

What is wrong with the German UHD?

22. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

There is a screenshot comparison on caps-a-holic.com

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  23. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I wonder if George W Bush's head will appear on this edition.

24. gabacabriel

I sprung for the 'normal' box set of GoT, as opposed to the steelbook variant. I've never been a fan of steelbooks, and besides - it's cheaper :-

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Series 4K Mastering, Gift Set, Digital Copy on DeepDiscount

With the current 15% SUNSHINE discount (I think the code expires July 22nd) the box works out at $173 + shipping.

ImportCDs are also an option at $185 for the same 'normal' box.

UK readers may like to note that this box comes with download codes for the entire series, whereas the version on sale in the UK (currently only a steelbook set is available, as far as I can make out) does not.

Of course, that's not to say that the download codes will actually be redeemable in the UK......

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Disney would only pay for the scan and restoration on Black Hole to be done in 2K, so if they wanted 4K, it'd have to be done completely from scratch. And that was weeks of work just in 2K for HD. I will say that's the best the film has ever looked.

Yeah, O Brother was done in 2000, and 4K was not quite practical (though it was technically possible) back then. The equipment available 20 years ago was very primitive and slow. As it was, I think the 2K mastering done by Julius Friede (alongside my old pal Mike Bellamy and Jill Bogdanovicz) took more than 3 months and just about killed everybody involved. I think that cost about $500,000, which was way over budget and just a really frustrating and awful experience for everybody involved. Now, I think it could potentially be redone from scratch, but my guess is that it would probably cost at least $500K to redo, because of the scanning time, color correction, dust busting, and so on. The movie did OK (made $72M on a $26M budget), but I don't think the 4K market for it is that great.

A lot of this stuff is possible, but the practicality of spending that kind of money is not high. A straight 4K remastering of an uncomplicated film title can be well under $100K, but O Brother is a huge exception, because a lot of the movie is very complex color that's basically a kind of digital VFX shot.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.