It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. I was thinking that if the movie bombs, it's not a huge loss - it's not like we need a sequel to West Side Story, and I'm sure that Spielberg will be able to get plenty of work in the future.

However, after leaving the theatre, I was thinking that Spielberg would be a perfect pick for directing a movie adaptation of Hamilton (if that ever comes to fruition). If the low box office here makes executives think "OK, musicals aren't profitable - don't make more filmed musicials!", then I'd be disappointed.

LivingForever and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Every discussion about theatrical box office this and last year needs an asterisk, especially films that skew older.

I'm 61, my wife Vickie is 65. We're both vaxxed and boosted, wear masks around other people, deliberately sit in an area with few other people and deliberately pick screenings at odd times to avoid crowds.

This is not something that the "if you only see one film this year" people are going to bother to do. And West Side Story was trying to be that single film that those people leave their house to see.

And even though I enjoyed West Side Story, it's not my favorite musical of this year, and I'm not going to see it multiple times in the theater like I did In The Heights.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    longdist01 and brownie61 like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Spielberg has indicated that if he does another musical project, it will be the long-gestating movie version of the Gilligan's Island episode, The Producer.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

JediJones likes this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Only if he can improve it, which is doubtful.

rswitzer, kwadguy and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

E.T. the musical.
    He’d make a fortune. :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IMO, there's a three fold significant disconnect between the way movies are marketed (after a while they all the same), critics and a general audience. For instance, I think the buzz on Licorce Pizza peaked last month, and its not available to see in 98% of the county. Should have went into wide release at Thanksgiving.

As far as WSS, the original means nothing to most people under 40, or 30. (And if it did, one might think 'eh, don't need to see that again". Nor does Spielberg.) I don't know if any director's name can really sell a movie anymore.

Spielberg is a technician, and I wish he would put that at the service of a nuts and bolts crime movie. Like a remake of "The Big Steal"or "Corvette Summer" or something. Aim lower for one movie, have fun, so will the audience. We'll all be happy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    longdist01 and beatleswho like this.
  8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I have seen the trailer for Licorice Pizza numerous times (most recently today), and there is still nothing about the trailer that makes me want to see this film.

Usually there are a few films I want to see over Christmas/New Years, and honestly all of the big upcoming theater releases for the rest of the year are leaving me cold.

JediJones likes this.
  9. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I am 39 years old and the original West Side Story is one of my favorite movies of all times. But i understand, is not very well known on my age group.

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I do plan to see it, as it looks entertaining. But other than that.... truly a desolate cinemascape.

11. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Even without Covid, even pre-pandemic, I can see a movie like this West Side Story remake bombing. Spielberg is not the draw he was 20 years ago, "prestige", serious movies are rarely box office successes anymore, older people, no matter what the circumstances are, don't go to the movies as much as they used to, and last of all who asked for this? Who asked for a remake of West Side Story?

longdist01, Jmac1979 and Old Mac like this.
  12. alexpop

Spielberg best films ?

top three..
    Saving Private Ryan
    Munich
    Close Encounters

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It was me. I asked for it.

JediJones, LivingForever, SRC and 8 others like this.
  14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The Spanish bits make up about 5% of the film's dialogue, and they made sure that all the important parts are spoken in English by the Puerto Ricans. It's just the occaisional Spanish sentence thrown in here and there. So it wouldn't be remotely the same.

JediJones likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, that's cool.

It would be interesting to hear how that pitch to Spielberg went, and how hard it was to convince him to make the film. Of course, leave out anything you aren't allowed to disclose.

JediJones and PhilBorder like this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Is he taking requests?

If so, I'm going to to schedule lunch with him. "Steve, two words: Duel 2".

Let that settle in and then give the twist: "This time, the truck is driven by a great white shark."

JediJones likes this.
  17. Number1TheLarch

Number1TheLarch Forum Resident

And the shark has freakin' laser beams on its head.

JediJones and fr in sc like this.
  18. Number1TheLarch

Number1TheLarch Forum Resident

Well that sucks. As of today, every single "premium" screen like Regal RPX or AMC Dolby Cinema that was showing WSS has kicked it to the curb in favor of Spider-Man. Even though (a) Spidey is "officially" opening tomorrow, and (b) WSS is an "AMC Artisan Film" but Spidey is not.

19. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Parents can relax.

For future streaming release, the freakin' lasers will be digitally converted into flashlights.

Rest well tonight.

Shalom, y'all!
    L. Bangs

JediJones likes this.
  20. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Duel 2?

[​IMG]

21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

It is tough to blame the cinemas, though.

This morning, I used my AMC app to reserve two seats for Spider-Man: No Way Home and found almost every single showing, including on a premium screen, this weekend is sold out.

Add that to the good reviews, and Spider-Man looks to be a pretty massive hit, while West Side Story might make $4 million or so this weekend.

Shalom, y'all!
    L. Bangs

22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

C'mon, everybody remembers all of the memorable "dance-fights" of their youth. Keep your toes pointed and your
    switch-blades pointier (lol).

JediJones likes this.
  23. alexpop

• Nobody in it’s as cool as George Chakiris.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the ticket buyers have spoken.

In my ideal world, character-driven films would rule and superheroes films would be occasional diversions. But, hey, it's not my world. And I'm not the target demographic in any event.

So, yeah, you put Spiderman on as many big screens as you can to rake in the big opening weekend bucks. The people spoke last weekend, and they said "Eh, not going to West Side Story."

Deuce66 and lbangs like this.
  25. alexpop

To be truthful it’s pretty shty.
    Not for the masses., for sure.
    Spider- Man latest looks like a popcorn movie.
    Not my cuppa teenage thing.