It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Hate to think about that.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

OK updating my predictions questionnaire, we have two answers:

1. "Cool" & "Krupke"
    a. stage sequencing
    b. screen sequencing

2. "America", part 1
    a. just the girls
    b. the girls and the Sharks

3. "America", part 2
    a. stage lyrics
    b. screen lyrics
    c. a combination of the two

4. Profanity
    a. none
    b. some
    c. lots

5. Anybodys played by a non-binary performer
    a. true
    b. false

6. Number of on-screen deaths, compared to 1961
    a. the same
    b. fewer
    c. more

7. Number of songs with auto-tuned or dubbed vocals
    a. none
    b. one
    c. two or more

8. The story will be set in....
    a. the original's timeframe
    b. the present
    c. other

9. Justin Peck's choreography will...
    a. borrow generously from Robbins
    b. pay homage to Robbins in places
    c. be entirely new

10. Musical arrangements
    a. Bernstein's original pit orchestra
    b. Irwin Kostal's full orchestra version
    c. something new

11. Ice
    a. yes
    b. no

12. Oscar nominations
    a. fewer than 11
    b. fewer than 11

13. Tiebreaker. "Somewhere" will be sung by _________________

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It’s not modernized, that is clear from the videos people have put up of the shoot in New York.

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

We shall see.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I just meant it’s not modernized in the sense of, it is not set in the present day. But perhaps that wasn’t what you meant.

In terms of the sensibility of the script, I would imagine that yes, they are looking at the story through a somewhat different lens from the original writers (of show and film). It’s 60 years later.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Spielberg doesn't like to talk about it, but almost 20 years ago he had an undisclosed medical situation and had a kidney removed. He's now 72 (73 in December), and I think he's very aware that the clock is ticking so he's doing more movies on his bucket list. Spielberg still has yet to do a complete outright Western, nor has he done a screwball comedy, but now he can at least say he's done a full-blown Hollywood musical.

Cost $15M to make and grossed $147 million dollars, so there is that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

Still sucked. Lots of movies make money and they still are awful movies.

I don't give the general movie going public a lot of credit.

8. I’m fine with it being contemporary as long as they can figure out a way to make it work.

9. #13. A transsexual.

Scott222C likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree that there's a lot of bad movies that make a ton of dough: the Fast & Furious movies and the Transformers films are high on that list for me.

But sometimes, I think the public is smarter than you think. Just because the public sometimes disagrees with you or me doesn't make them wrong. It'd be a very dull world if we all agreed on what's good and what's bad 100% of the time. It took me a couple of years in film school (after some arduous classes in film criticism) to take a step back and realize there's an objectively-good film; there's a commercially-successful film; there's a film that audiences love; there are films that critics praise; and then there are films that I like. It's rare to find a movie that hits all these bullet points, but I'm very happy when it happens. Spielberg has been able to do this quite a few times in the past, and I hope West Side Story is a great film that enhances his already-great legacy.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like Romeo + Juliette.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

Have you seen the 1968 Franco Zeffirelli production?

13. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I understand it's a new script, and the "Doc" character has been rewritten somewhat. But even if they weren't rewriting a character, a new film would technically require a new script no matter what.

From the behind the scenes videos, it's clear this is set in 1957. And listen to "America": the music is essentially unchanged - probably re-orchestrated and beefed up a little, but it's essentially the classic Broadway score., bongo fills and all!

Also, Kushner himself has stated the film is using the original Broadway show as the source material, instead of just "re-making" the 1961 film:

Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story Will Go Back to Basics

That said, I wouldn't put it past them to take unneeded liberties with the story...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll say. The character of "Doc" is going to be played by Rita Moreno, who was Anita in the original film.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And Mr. Spielberg is wrapped on production and now goes into about a year of post. Film will be out by November 2020.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Ugh.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Jeez, every photo I've seen of this makes me feel like everyone's been miscast. The only one that sounds remotely correct is Rita Moreno as Doc! Like so many others, I really WANT this to be great but......

18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Have you seen the full-page NY Times ads for the new Broadway production? They look ten times worse.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Spielberg has only done two remakes in his entire career -- War of the Worlds and now West Side Story -- and I'll say this for him: at least it's something very different than anything he's ever done before.

Now, if he can live long enough to produce and direct a Western, and maybe another film as a screwball comedy, I think he'll be one of the rare directors who's attempted every possible movie plot. Hey, at least it's not another sci-fi film or a mindless action film.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll let you know. At the very least the production will be worth seeing, Ivo van Hove as director is usually not to be missed.

21. audiomixer

Is it a new musical score?

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Since Spielberg specifically mentioned Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim in his published note above, I'm guessing it's the songs from the classic 1957 musical and 1961 film. I don't have a problem with a remake done well, more than 60 years after the original. It can still have value and be done well, provided it's well-cast, they have a reasonable budget, and all that other stuff.

23. audiomixer

That’s the most positive thing going for this film; the music.

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Ugh what?

25. SandAndGlass

I thought that War of the Worlds started out good but completely ran out of steam and became very disjointed along the way.

The scene in the house where the alien was probing and looking for them went on forever, which just did not work for me.

Vidiot likes this.