iTunes Store Data Issue

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hollywoodswag, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodswag

hollywoodswag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place/move it to the correct one, but for those iTunes listeners out there, have you noticed an issue where if you go to the store, albums you purchased are showing for sale again?

I noticed this yesterday as a problem affecting what appears to be the majority of my past purchases. They are still playable with no issue, but if I go to the store to view them, they're showing available for purchase again even though I already did. I opened a ticket with Apple's IT department who essentially chalked it up to the record companies issuing newer versions of the files, but I'm considering ceasing all purchasing from them from here on out.

Have any of you noticed this issue?

2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I haven't noticed this particular issue, but I have noticed that with my Apple Music subscription, even music that I have downloaded will get altered and shuffled around when they reconfigure things. This happened with my Beatles stuff recently, and I was quite unhappy.

3. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

yeah, its usually not a bother to me unless I had an uncompleted album that I can no longer complete without re-buying songs

4. hollywoodswag

That did happen to me, and iTunes was kind enough to refund the majority of what I had spent into it, but now I'm seeing two albums in my library split into two entries with tracks divided between them. It isn't the first time it has happened and past issues have resolved themselves, but suffice to say, I'm starting to regret offloading as many CDs as I did. I switched to iTunes for most purchases to avoid cluttering the house, but this is enough to make me question their reliability.

5. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I buy a lot from Amazon, but when I search for something, seems like they really push digital versions down my throat, very very annoying

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Record labels are always pulling their data files from download stores and replacing them with what appear to be identical files for who knows what reason. It's not just in the iTunes store that it's happening. At least in the iTunes store the files you previously purchased can still be downloaded again.

If you have a subscription to a streaming service, a similar thing frequently occurs (most likely for the same reason): songs and albums you've added to your library will suddenly appear as unavailable, but if you search for them you'll usually find the exact same titles, and you can re-add them to your library as needed.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  7. hollywoodswag

I do like that I can still download the files. I'm going to attempt to repair the two "split" albums in the next day or so and hope that resolves the issue with those.

I appreciate all the information you all have provided!

Raf likes this.
  8. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I had a lot of split albums on CD rips to iTunes. Highlighting them and then changing the artist name, and then changing it back solved it.

9. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

Apple is apparently closing down the iTunes brand altogether

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Buy Cd's that is my opinion !!

Dave likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

This is the story being thrown around everywhere, but it's not true. They're dividing the services but chances are the music app won't change much, if at all. Always surprises me to see the amount of negativity itunes generates. If I don't like something, I don't use it, end of story. A lot if people seem to get REAL sensitive about Apple.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.