I've decided not to run my masterings through an HDCD converter..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Things evolve, things change, hopefully things get better in the process. I think it is great that Steve and his team are constantly evaluating their results and looking for the best possible process... Isn't that better than deciding on one "cookie cutter" and using it on eveything?

Bring it on... Really looking forward to Straight Shooter and the TYA both!

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

If there is an improvement by eliminating the HDCD process, then I am all for it. Whatever brings out the best sonics. :righton:

George P likes this.
  3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Interesting. As good as many AF titles sound, the DCC titles I've heard have been something special. Is this why?

Also, does anyone know if HDCD was used on Songs in the Key of Life?

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Color me confused. I've read some threads where people were concerned because HDCD wasn't used in the process and now a lot of people are saying they are glad about not using it and are wondering if previous AF discs wouldn't have been better off without HDCD encoding in the first place. HDCD hasn't meant a hill of beans to me anyway because I can't tell much, if any, difference at all as to what it brings to the table. But if everyone thought the AF discs sounded great before, why would they suddenly stop sounding great because the decision was made to drop HDCD encoding for upcoming projects?

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The power of suggestion?

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I guess HDCD improves the sound at the expense of quality. :confused:

7. FTR, I have tried many times to discern a difference between HDCD discs played or decoded with a proper HDCD deck or processor, vs. the same discs played on a non-HDCD deck.

I could never hear any difference, which was puzzling to me given posts here that claimed that HDCD playback of an HDCD disc was "night and day" better than non-decoded playback.

I guess that will no longer be a concern when the new AF titles hit the street, and my hearing and system can be impugned for other reasons. :)

Brian

8. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

The Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Playback 6CD box set, to be specific. It sounds listenable if properly decoded but when played back on a normal non-HDCD player it sounds like absolute shıte. The Audio Fidelity releases have never usilised the Peak Extend part of HDCD and thus they sound equally as good with and without HDCD decoding. This is because they were correctly mastered with care and attention to the musical content.

Poedroe likes this.
  9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Glad I didn't go through with getting an HDCD compatible player, which I considered when the series was announced.
    Good to hear the mechanics of what goes on behind the scenes, and good to hear nothing is being compromised!

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

This...

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It's like a lot of other stuff, hit and miss.

12. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

On my system at least (ADCOM GFA-555se/GTP 502; HK FL8370 HDCD player;Polk Monitor 70's) Bad Company's "BAD CO" AF (HDCD) is one of THE Best sounding CD's I own in my vast collection. I seriously doubt that this HDCD was waste of time, technology and money!!! Wonder why the first sounds so good on HDCD while it just doesn't work out for SS?:confused:

13. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Wasn't Keith Johnson of Reference Recordings fame one of the inventors of HDCD? If so, it would be interesting for Steve and Keith to get together and chat about Steve's findings.
    Regards, Trevor.

14. There's the rub. For me, the AF Bad Co. S/T is the BEST sounding hard rock disc I own. It is infinitely crank-able.

But it remains that way played back on an HDCD deck or not. In this case, the mastering trumps anything that HDCD brings or doesn't bring to the table.

I like that a few members are posting here titles where there is said to be a very pronounced difference when playing back w/p HDCD decoding. I am hopeful that I may have a few buried in my collection. So far, every HDCD disc I won where I have tried an A/B has not produced a difference.

Brian

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is interesting.

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

yes it is.

17. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Exactly. All we see here is Steve letting us and Audio Fidelity that he will not use HDCD. We do not know Audio Fidelities response to that.

18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I want my 20-bits (HDCD) though ;)

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My guess is that the ADCs and DACs have gotten much better recently (at least that is my personal observation) as well as Steve's mastering chain such as the EAR design box. So I bet the weaknesses of the Pacific Microsonics box are more apparent now. Plus, I'm not sure if lacking HDCD has any commercial impact these days.

P.S. What does this tell you about Tim De Paravicini's talents? Now both AF and MFSL use his pro gear.

20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

If HDCD was good for the first Bad Company, why is it not good enough for SS?
    Does this mean the first AFZ 024 Bad Company could sound better?

The first one sounds great, what is happening now?

21. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I bet without the use of HDCD encoding, the AF CDs will sound as warm as the DCCs. I've always found that HDCD encoded discs have a bright sound too them - regardless of who mastered them.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'd like to hear the 24/88.2

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:righton: Yes, how about an AF hirez download site?

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:confused:

Two different AF studios and they don't have the same gear...... Kevin Gray Cohearent and Stephen Marsh Mastering.

25. twit

twit New Member

What does this mean for our discs that we already have, for which we decoded HDCD while ripping? Is the advice to rerip these discs and don't decode HDCD?

And what is the new advice for dics that have HDCD detected but were ripped without decoding - don't decode HDCD when playing?

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.