I've decided not to run my masterings through an HDCD converter..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve and Steph:

You made the right choice! I have been wondering what it would take for AF to stop using HDCD. I never liked it.

This letter also reveals that you do use 24-bit now.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I used to think that HDCD was a good idea for AF, but I don't think so anymore. I have different CD players around the house and most do not convert HDCD. Why bother? The format is not really supported with hardware. However, every player I have does convert 96/24. If only there was a way to play this format without a tv monitor.

3. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Thank you Steve! Never had a HDCD player and never will... :righton:

Kevin

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, finally an answer that's clear and honest. Thank you.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Why do you need a tv monitor for HDCD?

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I only have one player that decodes HDCD, and that is the Apex AD-5131 3 DVD/CD changer. I have very few HDCDs that if I decode it through the hdcd.exe decoder that would end up improving the sound somewhat and they include the first 2 Mindy McCready CDs and Michael W. Smith's "I'll Lead You Home" CD.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not HDCD. DVD requires a monitor in most cases. I wonder how those car players work. There must be a display screen.

8. alan909

alan909 Member

Does this mean we'll be getting re-dos of the masterings already done with HDCD?

9. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

I allways thought that.

10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have an HDCD player. I think the Tom Petty, Cars, Stevie Nicks and Grateful Dead stuff I have sounds great. I guess it just was the advertising and tricking my brain into thinking it sounded better.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No doubt those sound better when converted. It sounds like the new A/D converters are doing a better job without HDCD.

12. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Interesting. I do not have a player that can decode HDCD, nor have I ever had the experience of listening to one that does

13. triple

triple Senior Member

Microsoft bought the HDCD system a while ago. That was a sign that it was not good for hifi.

Brian Vollrath likes this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is that.

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

It is easy as the ears, and well trained ones, always win. It MIGHT be said that if we just bought specs we would certainly be less satisfied with our systems.

As bad as many CDs have sounded, back in the day HDCD might have had a place, but not any more with 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/192, SACD and the current crop of converters.

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Microsoft purchasing HDCD is about the only thing that kept it alive. Sony, Philips, et. al. largely abandoned it when SACD and DVD-A became the next step to better digital audio.

17. GreenDrazi

No. You just need to set the menu to auto-play.

billiam likes this.
  18. GreenDrazi

Without using the peak extension feature of HDCD, I prefer CD’s be mastered with the best sounding A/D converter(s). And so I applaud Steve for taking this approach for future releases.

19. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I have a lot of HDCD discs and it bothers me that my player (and most being manufactured now) won't decode them. I have a cheap old Panasonic DVD player which DOES decode HDCD so the decoding circuitry can't be very expensive. So why don't manufacturers include it in modern CD players?...if for no other reason than getting the best sound of items like the Petty box.

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Do current Windows Media Players decode HDCD? I know at least one of the older ones did.... 9 perhaps?

21. DaPhox

DaPhox New Member

I want bat hearing too!:goodie:

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I said. Most HDCD discs sound better when converted on a player that will convert HDCDs. I believe Steve Hoffman said, CDs using current A/D converters sound better than HDCD encoded discs.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sometimes, when I press play on my 2 channel player it will read the surround layer. I then have to go in and select 2 channel playback.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Good question. Answer = To save a few bucks.

25. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

I think the old DCC sound has been improved on. Steve is in Paul's 'Penny Lane' stage right now.. where he chooses clean over warm. The old DCC stuff has a generally more ballsy sound, but the recent AF releases just sound cleaner.

JayNYC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.