I've got $5000 for a stereo system, how much on each part?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slayne, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer Thread Starter

I'm looking to get a system for playing records.

I figure I would need:

a) turntable
    b) integrated amp
    c) standmount speakers (including original stands)

How much you reckon I should spend on each part? I've got $5000 in total.

New or used is ok either way.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I would start off with a technics dd

Buy cheaply.
    Fit an Ortofon 2m( black,?)
    Then buy a decent Garrard 401

In a Bastin plinth. Fit a Naim Aro/ retipped Linn Troika.

A Michell Iso Hr phono stage .
    ICON Audio stereo 60.
    Speakers need to be chosen to suit your
    Room
    Finally
    A Thorens TD150 Sme 3009/ series 3
    Shure V15 mk3 and Jico Stylus.
    Why this unusual system.
    Apart from 401 both can be bought
    Cheaply.
    But you have £5000 $ to spend i hear you say.
    Yes, but no experience.
    The 3 turntables are among best in my opinion.
    Amp mentioned is as sweet as a nut.
    Speakers are too personal to reccomend.
    V15, Linn Troika, Sme( various)
    Naim Aro are as different as any components can be.
    One of these 3 turntables will hit the spot.
    V15 very different from Troika.
    My point is all can be resold.
    Along the way. You will know what you really want.
    Then, go for it.
    With $5000 you can afford almost anything.

3. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I would spend $2,000 to $2,500 on the speakers, then the rest on the integrated and tt/cartridge.

Dennis0675, jusbe, Riotvan and 6 others like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of recipes with money. But I suppose you need a starting point.
    I would start with $2000 for turntable, $1000 for amplification, & $1000 for speakers.
    This does leave you another $1000. Use it to float between the others, or ancillaries.

I'm thinking $2k for a turntable because, there are a lot of really good options in that range. The Rega Planar 6 has a lot of competition. You might even be able to locate the older RP8 for $2k in a closeout.

For speakers, I tend to think, you'll get the most bang for your buck if you buy used speakers. The $1000 price point isn't what it used to be. At the lower tiers, under $1000, there are a lot of really good deals. I think this is were the most improvements of the past 20 years have been. It just seems like to me there is a huge gap in the ≤$1500 speaker range. Something like Vandersteen 1Ci are $1500, I bought a pair of the Vandersteen 1C for $800 about 20 years ago. I think the 1C was a great speaker and a bargain. But, I don't really see a huge improvement with the model change. Sure it's a good speaker, but most speaker haven't really increased like this in price over a 20 year duration and there are new options. Since you're looking for Standmount, I think this is good because it seems like this is were all the improvement have been. I don't know if this is because of HT applications, but it seems likely.

For amp, if you can find used that pairs well with the speakers, all the better. But, making a plan to find matched items with a budget is a daunting task. I would find something new that pairs with speakers you find. If you can located a used amp of that model, all the better. But trying to find matched used items, unless you are buying from an estate sale, is like finding a needle in a haystack then going back for the thread.

displayname, Frost and souladdikt like this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

$2000 for turntable/cartridge/phono preamp
    $2000 for integrated amp
    $1000 for speakers

Good luck. :)

6. russk

russk Forum Resident

As long as your amp and turntable are decent the biggest influencers on sound will be your speakers and your phono cartridge. I go 2500 on speakers 1500 on turntable and cartridge, maybe a bit more and around a grand for the amp.

In fact I’d go for a an Audio Lab 8003a integrated, a Rega P3 with Exact and some Spendor A4s if I were capping it at 5K

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The old rule of thumb was spend half of your budget on speakers.

If it were me with 5 grand in my pocket I would buy all new. Get current technology and skip having to spend any of the money on refurb expenses.

bresna, KeninDC and Vinny123 like this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Parasound Halo Hint6 refurbed $2500
    Monitor Audio Silver 300: $2000/pair (no stands needed!)
    Monitor Audio Silver 300 (Rosenut) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield $807.49 x 2 = $1615 ...!
    Hmmmmm ... $900 for TT, cart, cables ... ? Well, the Parasound + Monitor Audio should be a good match, and will last a long time!
    Buy a decent $800 TT with decent cart, Upgrade cart later! $100 for cheap cables, upgrade cables later!

9. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Totally agree w new.

10. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I'd try to split it evenly at around $1500-1600 for each. Use the rest for a record cleaning machine and cables.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

have you been watching old cowboy movies over there in sweeden :)?
    i would say to pick one component that is really good, say spend $3K, that you can "keep" and then buy budget items for the remaining items, then upgrade the others down the road. if it were me I would get a set of KEF Ls50s (easily to sell once you want to upgrade) and a very good turntable / cartridge and the rest on an amplifier- say a yamaha or marantz integrated.

souladdikt likes this.
  12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Synergy between components is a key factor, if not thee factor. I would recommend finding a brand/house sound you like or listen to some combinations of components recommended by other members. Buying solely based on what fits into a budget will probably end up costing you more money later. Listen, listen listen to components before you buy them if at all possible.

displayname and Billy Budapest like this.
  13. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Adorama Estimated Shipping cost to Sweden for a pairs of LSiM 707's via FedEx International Priority = $1,237.75

14. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

You are correct, I did not notice Sweden, my error, I deleted the entire post!

15. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Used doesn’t necessarily mean vintage. Most new gear loses a substantial chunk of its value as soon as it’s plugged in, so OP only has to go back a few years to get considerable bang for the buck. Nothing sold within the last 10 years will need refurbishing (not counting minor things such as turntable belts).

16. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

One rule of thumb is it's only going to sound as good as the weakest link. Depending on what your future upgrade plan is, I would keep this in mind. I would prioritize speakers first, then amp. There are good options out there for decent "entry" level turntable, cartridge, and pre-amp combo's. Rega may be a good place to start for those. There are others, also. Hopefully, you have options to audition speakers and amps. There's an endless array of choices out there, as well as opinions. If you can audition at a local store, then trust your ears. It's the best way to find your new set-up. Good luck in your quest.

17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

build around speakers.

18. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

You can buy an amp for less than 100$ with volume control that will surprise you.

19. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

Dynaudio is available locally. I’d spend $2k on used dynaudios. $1k on an integrated. Yamaha or peach tree would be my choices in that budget. $1k buys a pretty good turntable, vpi scout used (unlikely in Sweden) or a decent condition linn lp12. New a project classic fits. $500 buys lots of nice preamps if the integrated doesn’t have one, example the nova phonomena 2. If it has one that’s budget for a $500 For a cart. Rest goes to sub.

20. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

:righton: @Litejazz53, quick off-topic question. How much are the 707's when you call? They always seem to be listed for $2k/each on the website. I'm not in the market but am curious.

21. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Do you have records to play already?

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'd go
    2000 for the speakers

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh MA 6100 or MA 6200 rebuilt from www.mcintoshaudio.com or www.audioclassics.com. There's your integrated amplifier. Technics SL-1200 GR for a turntable, add a cartridge or two and an extra headshell. Allow $1000 for speakers you like which these two integrated amps drive nicely. Get a record cleaning machine. Use the rest for some nice accessories and some vinyl. Enjoy the music once installed. Sensible, and the McIntosh and the Technics will serve you very many years reliably.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

$5k just for now, then upgrades? Or $5k and that’s the end?

25. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I paid $800.00 each for mine, but no matter what they show on the site, I think they are going for about 600-700 each now or lower, someone said something like $599.00 for the LSiM 707, which is just giving them away, same for the 705 or 703, give away prices.

Balthazar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.