I've heard this enough, I don't need to hear it again for the rest of my days

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hey...don't get all Scroogey on us.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  2. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Uh, Huh. I like this one too. I guess it's been covered by a lot of people in a lot of different styles.
    You think it's bad now. I worked in FM radio in the seventies and we had to come up with 30% CanCon. It was a real stretch, believe me.
    As I recall, it had to meet two criteria to be considered Canadian, like Produced and Recorded in Canada, Written and Produced by Canadians, Written and Performed by Canadians et. etc. A whole lot of the stuff had no other home but Canadian radio.

3. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

You Shook Me All Night Long — AC/DC
    Brown-Eyed Girl — Van Morrison
    Old Time Rock ‘n’ Roll — Bob Seger

I loved all three of those songs growing up, but after 3.5 years of working at a hotel front desk and hearing them all at every frigging wedding every frigging weekend, I just can’t abide them anymore. Plus, the Seger tune is the fight song of classic-rockist old farts who think nobody’s recorded a good song since the ‘70s.

Hokeyboy and stushea like this.
  4. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I know Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" just from hearing every track on it about 9,000 times. It's a great album that has been massively overplayed.

MielR, Bemsha, aravel and 2 others like this.
  5. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody. It's a cracking Christmas song, compared to most of the others, but I've heard it far too often. I know that it'll be played over and over every Christmas for the rest of my life, and I'll have little choice about having to hear it.

6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

You stated artists you don't have issues with but use the nouns "hate" & "hated" o_O

Please be specific

7. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Who'd have thought that I'd be blessed with the lack of radio stations here in Austria. All the stations here (all 3 or 4) play chart music nonsense on heavy rotation, one is for classical music, one plays alternative mainstream and electronics. And that's it. I haven't heard American Pie, Stairway to Heaven or Don't Worry Be Happy in years! Now I want to hear them again. I even have Don't Worry on vinyl somewhere from back in the day. Landlord says your rent is late, he may have to litigate...

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That’s one I’ve never got tired of. Same with Wizzard too. I figure we get 11 months off from them every year so I don’t mind when they come around in December.:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

White album

ARK likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Come Out and Play

11. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

I hate "American Pie", but its not my example to give, if you read back it was a reply to someone else.

My example was the Bee Gees. I don't hold any grudge against them, I just would rather hear instrumental versions if they are going to be blasted on the airwaves

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Do you know what will happen if you put it in a microwave for 2 seconds? You should try it to find out.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

13. Wildest cat from montana

Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel about them.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I just replied to OP thread.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

None I can think of, but 95% of my listening is self-selected, so I repeat only as desired.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Any & all hip hop or rap music.
    None of it! Ever!!!

17. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Is that a threat?!

;)

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

I know. Just taking the piss.

M2225 likes this.
  19. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Definitely not!

Until I dove into this thread I had not thought about that **** since about 1999. On the other hand, Isaac Albeniz beautiful compositions as well as the brilliant playing of Perico Sambeat, Paco De Lucia, and Chano Dominguez fill my spaces on a regular basis. Don't worry, the truly great stuff is always memorable!

20. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Queen. Just in general.

21. Wildest cat from montana

[QUOTE="Mylene, post: 23001897, member: 28091"
    Spirit in the Sky[/QUOTE]
    I've probably heard this song as much as any song but I don't tire of it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Classic rock radio is what I never need to hear again.

23. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

"What I Like About You" and "Start Me Up". Either one just prompts a cringe or grimace from me.

24. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Thankfully I was never exposed to classic rock radio because when I grew up we had none in Germany. But the normal FM radio is hell enough these days and I have successfully suspended myself from it for about fifteen years now (apart from car drives which are rather short most of the time). I only listen to a handful of carefully chosen web stations and my own library these days. Of course I heard a lot of the same radio tracks back in the 80s and 90s and remember to have been annoyed, but time is merciful and these memories have long faded.

So the terms "overplayed" or "worn out" don't really apply to anything I have ever liked. The facts are that my archive has become really big, the variety of net-streams to choose from is almost endless and I'm not listening to music on a daily basis anymore like I used to in my younger years. And this is really letting me appreciate all my favourites whenever I decide to hear them. Haven't listened to "Stairway" or "Hotel California" in about a year now and I can tell you, when they're up again it will get loud because to me these tracks are still fantastic and fresh as ever.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've probably heard this song as much as any song but I don't tire of it.[/QUOTE]
    Some radio guy uses it for his theme music here. When I hear it I know it's time to change the station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.