I've just ordered a YAQIN MS23B tube Phono pre-amp. What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EddieVanHalen, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've just ordered from Amazon UK a Chinese Yaqin MS23B phono pre-amp. I have an Elite Pioneer A/V receiver from 2012 and I've been wanting for some time to improve my TT sound by using an external phono pre-amp as I don't think the built-in one on my receiver is of much quality. Tubes were also a plus but honestly out of my price range, since I found this Chinese phono pre-am. After some reasearching on the internet I found out that 'though it was not outstanding as to compete against a Hi-End preamp, would perform much better that the integrated on my receiver.
    Has anyone used it or has any experience with it?
    I guess the integrated valves are not of much quality so changing them will come next. What brand you'd suggest me to use? This uses 12AX7B tubes, I think they are Tung Sol branded. I haven't heard good things of new Russian made Mullard, maybe Sovtek, JJ Electronics or Electro-Harmonix would be a better match?
    Thanks in advance, and please, wish me luck with it.

YAQIN MS23B upgraded version of YAQIN MS22B 12AX7B X2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics ยป

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  2. EddieVanHalen

3. Cerealplayer

Cerealplayer Forum Resident

Hi, I think you'll be happy, it will be better than your inbuilt. I'm running nos jj valves, the Chinese valves sound fine imo, let me know how you get on with 'hum' please? I've tried a small mod to reduce it, tho some people seem to have no problems. Good luck

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  4. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

It's a good phono pre. A bit of tube rolling, and you'll be better of than your receiver.
    That being said, there's a Yaqin group on Facebook. There's a modification that is supposed to make it even better.
    I haven't done it yet but it's on my list.
    YMMV
    mdr

5. cubicub

cubicub Well-Known Member

I have had mine for about 3 weeks, and I am pleasantly pleased. It will take a little while for the stock tubes to break in. Much better the the phono input on my HK receiver. No more flabby bass, mids and highs seem soother. Mine does not seem have a hum issue either. I have not swapped tubes yet, but may in the future. I think you will be pleased!

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used to have the model up from that one, and would describe it as "a noisy good time!". Tube gear at that price point is going to have a higher then average noise floor, but its very musical and enjoyable. I'd replace the tubes, but I wouldn't go too far.

7. EddieVanHalen

Thank you all very much for your replies,you've just made me eager to get and it still be two weeks or more to get it. I read somewhere about a longer than usual break-in time. Would you live it on for a couple of days with some ocasional listening (meaning, actual signal in) to help break-in?
    I'll try it first without replacing the standard tubes, if I'm pleased I'll leave them on (it's a possibility, isn't it?) if not, then I'll go for a couple of new ones.

Rickchick likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I left mine on 24/7.

9. EddieVanHalen

For how long? A whole week? Wouldn't it be too much?

10. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

They are quite good depending on the music.Simple acoustic stuff can sound excellent but they are not so good for timing and rhythm .
    I have the earlier MS22B so perhaps the newer model is better in this regard.
    They are also not a pure valve design but rather use op amps with a valve output stage/buffer.

11. EddieVanHalen

I mostly play 70's and 80's Rock music, movie soundtracks, the likes composed by John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith (played by a full orchestra) and some Classical. I'd like to get a ''fat'' bass and warm (or not harsh) mids and treble, which given that the source is a turntable and not a CD shouldn't be too hard. It sure sounds better than my Pioneer A/V receiver built-in Phono pre.

12. EddieVanHalen

I received 4 hours ago!!! Now I realize how ****ty the phono pre on my Pioneer A/V receiver, let's just say it's there just in case but it's no match by any means to the Yaqin MS23B. The Yaqin MS23B makes sound BIGGER without alterations or colorations. There's more air in the recording, more separation between instruments, bass is fatter, mids are very well defined, Highs are also but without sounding too shiny or glossy. ON Van Halen II Chris Bellman remaster from 2015 timing is excellent, that's what first caught mi attention, drums sound excellent as well as bass guitar. Guitars are more defined but without being agressive. I love how it sounds and the fact that it will only get better after some burn in only makes it more exciting. I had it on for 4 hours before playing any music, Van Halen II os the first record I play through it.

Old Rusty, H8SLKC, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  13. EddieVanHalen

After a couple of days being "on" all the time the Yaqin MS23B is starting to sound a bit smoother than the first day. I have listened in all the time to some Van Halen (Bellman Remasters from 2015 and Mr. Hoffman S/T), Extreme's III Sides To Every Story, some Boston, movie scores by John Williams, Star Wars, Superman... and some Classical. I think thor tube Phono preamp is a bargain, I love how it sounds for the price.
    I'm thinking about getting a different pair of new valves to see if improvement in soud is great or not.

H8SLKC likes this.
  14. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

Now that you have owned your Yaqin tube phono pre for some months...what do you think now?

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

The Yaqin 23B is fantastic. It really shines after doing the 'Lesbox' mod though, everyone that owns one or is thinking about owning one needs to do this mod. It raises the sound quality ten fold.

There's been some that have compared a modified 23B to preamps that cost many times more and prefer the sound from the modded 23B.

I can't ever see myself getting another preamp.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.