J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's embarrassing how completely clueless that Esquire person is.

Dubmart, marmalade166 and rontoon like this.
  2. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

And professional wrestling is real.

rontoon likes this.
  3. I disagree with most of this, as the idea to break our cycles and get us to think about our freedom in captivity is far from childish thought.

That a teenager would rail against these cyclical patterns serves to prove that they are conflicted between their idealized youth and the bondage of adulthood. Indeed, I wouldn't call it cynicism unless one is afraid to face themselves, which I posit the writer is fearful of.

If anything, this show has elicited the exact response from the writer that it set out to make.

Rhett and rontoon like this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

just saw the finale.. random thoughts
    soooooo many head shots (giving walking dead a run for the money)
    the actor who plays Bernard is superb.
    didn't really enjoy looking at maeves open neck wound for so long
    also why didn't maeve use her 'control the hosts' trick to scurry her buddies out the portal before they got mowed down....maybe there was a reason I missed, tbh I kind of got lost with the details

Vidiot and Rhett like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I finally got around to watching the finale (swamped with work in the last week), and while I liked what I saw, I kind of wince at the cloying nature of the producers deliberately withholding a lot of crucial plot information. Was Ed Harris a robot when he killed <major character> in cold blood? What did he see when he cut his own arm open? It was all very vague. We know some major crap will happen in the distant future, but how does that affect what we see now?

The whole thing feels a bit circular, where robots exist, robots die, humans live, humans die, but I'm not convinced we really advanced the plot all that much. Little bit too much "spinning around in circles" to me, particularly with Bernard. And the added problem of multiple robots, backup models being replace new ones, kind of means that almost none of them are irreplaceable (perhaps except for Delores). BTW, she is one helluva actress.

I'm also a bit confused where personalities get transplanted in different bodies. Now, Delores looks like a completely different character (Charlotte)... so will we see the original actress back? Some major questions still have not been answered, like: 1) they showed that the robots seemed to sleep every evening in the first season, but they don't do much of that now; 2) where does their electric power come from? Internal fusion reactor? I can't even get my stupid Apple Watch to run more than 12 hours; 3) is Stubbs (Luke Hemsworth) a robot, or is a human who merely sympathizes with their cause; and 4) where the hell IS Westworld? They refer to "The Mainland" and get in a boat to get away, but where the hell are we?

I had most (but not all) of the episode deciphered, but this discussion on Collider filled in some gaps:

‘Westworld’ Season 2 Finale Ending Explained: What Just Happened?

As I always say: hey, it held my attention, it was never boring, there were some very thoughtful moments, and I was surprised several times. I wasn't even conscious that it was 90 minutes long, which is a long show.

6. Actually, Dolores is back in a new copy of her body that Charlores appears to have created in Arnold’s real world home. The question is (well one of many) is who’s in the new Hale body.

Aggie87 likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I think Mark may have missed the post-credits scene. I assumed it was . . . Dolores also in Hale's body. Hmm.

Chris from Chicago and rontoon like this.
  8. the pope ondine

I actually think this would work as a series finale.

jeroemba and GentleSenator like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think William (the Man in Black) was very much human for most of this. The post credit bit about him was way in the future. In fact, it might be one of the major plot points... that all guests can be replicated

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe I mentioned that and also cited the Collider article.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is it my choice that I want to watch Season 3? :)

marmalade166, EVOLVIST and rontoon like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

,,,,,,,or, have you been 'programmed' to watch Season 3?:eek::laugh:

13. the pope ondine

ummm probably covered but, did we find out if old Williams daughter was human or not?

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The audience did not find out conclusively if she was human. That said, the fact that the show moved onto the next part of the story makes me think the idea was to show that she was human and that MIB is so wrapped up in the park and his sense of what is real and what isn't real that he shot his own daughter without caring that he did.

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I think similarly, except I feel that, by consciously killing his daughter, William/MIB untethered himself 100% from the real world and now exists ONLY in Westworld.

That was some heavy s**t.

Dan

16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

During the scene on the beach when Dolores/Hale was leaving we saw that her body was dumped with the other dead humans whilst the hosts were piled separately so my conclusion is that she was human

Pete Puma and Deesky like this.
  17. the pope ondine

ahhh thanks.
    I liked some stuff about the endingl
    I thought the portal allowing the hosts to enter some sort of fantasy/nether world was an inspired touch
    the theme about choosing fantasy over reality was really well done (if it took a while to get there)

in the end I think this season tried for a bit too much and kind of failed, as mentioned, for a real engrossing show you need to care about someone, and for a show with so much violence/blood.....I never really felt like anyone i might care about was in real danger, that's a problem. but (most) of the acting, the visuals etc almost made up for it

18. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I suspect it’s Teddy in Hales body.

BGLeduc likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That reminds me of a classic Farscape episode - comedy gold!

jpelg likes this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Isn't Teddy in virtual paradise? He's gone. Don't think he's coming back.

21. Chris from Chicago

That's the thing about this show, though. As long as there is someone to bring him back (I don't know who would be left to do that at this point. But with this show there always seems to be a way) he could come back.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, that's the nature of digital data (AI) - it can be copied an 'infinite' number of times without degradation, as long as you have backup copies.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. Chris from Chicago

Agreed. You just know there's a basement full of Teddy's somewhere just waiting to be uploaded

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Season 1 was coherent and tight. Season 2 lacked focus and while suspenseful and well acted was disappointing. Any guesses about season 3?

25. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Love the show. I like the fact that I have to think to attempt to understand what is going on. If everything was explained to me step by step I probably wouldn't enjoy the show. Looking forward to Season 3. I think the best episode was when the Indian guy told one of his stories to Maeve's daughter. Brilliant episode and I hope it gets nominated for an Emmy.