J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I just hope Aaron Paul isn't gonna be this 'sad-sack/monotone' character throughout the entire season!

Lonson likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not too bad of an opener.

we'll see if it moves along, or stagnates as many of these series seem to do.

lots and lots of characters (really only dolores and bernard) not shown or mentioned in episode one......are they just gone, or are they all going to a storyline? (which will drag this out into boredom)

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I gave up halfway in season 2. Would 3 make any sense without finishing 2?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I enjoyed the first episode of the new season, and I can see they're definitely going into a completely different direction.

BTW, anybody notice the misspelling in the end credits? I can't believe a show this costly and important actually misspells words like this...

[​IMG]

"Producton"? What?

(It's my curse that I read every word of every credit, plus I read fast. And I've been doing this since I was 8 or 9 years old. It's a "thing" of mine.)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    BGLeduc and chacha like this.
  5. I clearly missed the typo, but I did not miss the Animatronics credit for Garner Holt. Being Disney nerd, I recognized the name from their work on animatronics in the parks.

Maybe they did the robot seen with Aaron Paul’s character? Some of that would surely be CG, but some looked practical.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think when you see right through a creature that has no skin, it's actually a mechanical figure on the set, and no doubt Holt would be part of the team that built it. There's always a balance between what to do live, right there with the actors, vs. doing it later on in post as CGI VFX.

BGLeduc likes this.
  7. Looks like they were in WW starting at S1.

Garner Holt on the Big and Little Screens

8. The extra i blew the budget.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was so excited to see this return. A good opener. . . though I had some qualms about how Aaron's character just happens to be in "the right place at the right time" at the end. . . . Anyway, not a real stumbling block for me, will be interesting to see what situation Maeve is stuck in and why and who is the "core" in Tommy Flanagan's character (Teddy?) among other little mysteries.

Looking forard to Episode 2. . . .

10. vince

So, I don't have HD, so I can't see what's on Aaron Paul's phone, when he does those 'jobs'....
    While , at first, it's some kind of robbery, the other two seem like some discretionary work for rich people...Can anybody clarify this to me?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

So how many timelines are we dealing with here ?

interesting start and mysterious as usual

12. Lonson

I think one so far. I could be wrong.

I love how "a simulation within a simulation" is mentioned in Episode 1 and in 2 we have a simulation.

I also enjoyed how Episode 1 was Dolores/Bernard and 2 is Maeve/Bernard. And am happy to see Tommy Flanagan as a character though he could enunciate just a wee bit more clearly.

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So I hated the ending of last season. Out of pure bordeom the last few weeks, I watched the 2 new episodes from Season 3 and I don't know where this is going, but I have to admit I like it.

Lonson and GentleSenator like this.
  14. Lonson

I like it too. I think it's interesting that we have the Machine and the machines and two human titans locking horns and three machine titans setting up positions and a war ramping up. There's a lot to come. . . "no. . no. . .no. . . no @#%&."

15. Lonson

And what about "Game of Thrones World!"

16. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

The 2 show creators and the Dragon was quite the cameo! :)

Lonson likes this.
  17. vince

I didn't even get the 'Costa Rica' reference 'till I read someone talking about it on Yahoo news!:doh:

chrischerm likes this.
  18. vince

So, does this mean the real Charlotte was dead before Season two?

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, they did play with timelines a lot in Season 2, but my sense is that the real Charlotte was killed just before they evacuated the survivors at the end of the season. But, I haven't gone back a rewatched the season to see if there are any solid clues.

JohnK

20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'm really enjoying this season, and I'm almost angry when the episode ends cos I'm loving it so much - and bloody hell Tessa Thompson was great in this episode!

Lonson likes this.
  21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

It's an app for mercenaries. They post a general description of a job and you can choose whether or not to take the mission.

vince likes this.
  22. I think it was the real Charlotte the one who came to supervise what was going on in Westworld/Delos Park, but at the end of season 2 she met her robot nemesis that told her something like "you wanted inmortality? Be careful what you whish for", and then she killed the real Charlotte.
    That tells us that Charlotte was not a simple employee/executive hired to get numbers right, she was deep within the company as she got her memory and body backed up, or maybe she didn't know?
    And a second question regarding her comes to mind, who activated the Charlotte robot nemesis?

23. It may be my view but I can't see any filmgrain on season 3. Have they stopped shooting on 35 mm like seasons 1 & 2 and season 3 is shot digitally to better match the futuristic look of the real world?

24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Dolores, I think.

JohnK

25. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Unlike a lot of people who post here, I loved Season 2 and thought it really ratcheted up so much from Season 1 in terms of character development, soundtrack, plot, story telling, and just over all feel. This season seems very measured and boring by comparison. I was prepared to have my mind blown, and then meh. Dolores' talk with Caleb was a cheap knockoff off of the Matrix. How could telling him about data collection and AI even be something surprising and revelatory in the future when it's our reality now?

Lonson likes this.