J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I’m enjoying it less on a weekly basis then when I binged S1 and S2. I’m not giving up yet though. I also keep thinking about Jesse Pinkman every time I see Aaron Paul. I have to get past that!

I’m liking the dark sleek costuming of this season, but I miss the western flavor a lot too.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

little by little i am getting less interested in 'westworld', and i do not want to feel this way.

just seems to be going nowhere, nowhere at all. this week was just horrible.

rmath84 likes this.
  3. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I think instead of multiple timelines, we have two worlds:

1. real world where Dolores is working to destroy Rehoboam

2. virtual world inside Rehoboam itself. I think Serac is the avatar of the Rehoboam device.

I think this season is good so far

GentleSenator and marmalade166 like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's a coin-toss as to whether Dolores knows that Charlotte was the mole for Serac.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

where is bernard?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Real world I believe.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Lonson

Interesting (to me) side bit. . . The show has Charotte Hale living on Freemont Street. That rang a bell with me as an association with Philip K. Dick and I wondered if he lived on Freemont at some point while he lived in San Francisco but it turns out the memory is that Freemont is the president in his novel "Radio Free Albemuth."

Probably no intended connection but it still tickles me.

marmalade166 and ubiknik like this.
  8. Lonson

Is it just me or is Charlotte's "password" from Home on the Range. . . "Oh give me a home. . . " Contacting Dolores with a song about Western "splendor". . . makes sense.

I'm of several minds who is in Charlotte's host facsimile. Teddy or William. . . .

9. vince

I thought it was, "You Are My Sunshine"?

Gardo likes this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

It's Teddy.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  11. Lonson

Perhaps. Probably. It's not a slam dunk for me. Something is pulling me away from thinking it's Teddy.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. Lonson

Hmm. . . yes, I believe so.

13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Naw, he's in the valley beyond. One interesting theory:

Charolette is actually Bernard! Dolores needed someone who knew Hale very well. This leaves out Teddy, Angela, Clementine, and Akecheta. William or Ford is interesting, but they would have reached their cognitive plateau living in hosts' bodies, as discussed last season. That leaves only Bernard. Dolores knows Bernard's backstory about his son, so now he gets to look after a little boy again. Very cunning. Then there's the cutting of the arms and such. Last season we saw Bernard cut into his arm multiple times. Problem: Charolette 2.o says she's also a "predator," after remembering "what it's like to be me." Bernard killed for Ford, but he's hardly a predator. Maybe it's William after all and the cutting is the beginning of his degradation. Remember how James Delos was all lacerated in that eerie encounter in the Forge with Bernard and Elsie?

Lonson likes this.
  14. Lonson

Interesting, that thought crossed my mind. But I am leaning toward William.

GeetarFreek likes this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I just binged the first three episodes of III. It's a fascinating question. I had assumed she was Teddy, but the other possibilities are equally compelling.

I am also pleased about how they wrote in the Aaron Paul character, Caleb. I had been concerned that Paul wouldn't be able to fit in with the cast but they did a great job.

Also interesting to have shades of Ex Machina in some of the decisions this season, such as the name Caleb.

The show remains visually stunning. Interesting how augmented reality eyewear is factoring heavily into the first episodes this season.

16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Still the best recap series on Westworld IMO

Paul Mazz likes this.
  17. Lonson

One of the main reasons I think it's William is that he recognized Charlotte Hale's face and who she was. Teddy probably might not in the same way. William certainly would, and he could in her "skin" come to the conclusion he was a predator. And he also was cutting into his arm near the end of Season 2, wondering "who he was."

One other possible host is Hector. He rather intimately experienced Charlotte and perhaps this memory was retained. He was a predator. . . .

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm with you. both of these seem most logical. i feel like tonight's episode might shed more light on the william angle, since that's still a pretty big mystery overall.

Lonson likes this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think it will be a bit different than any of the floated theories, given that Bernard seems to have two of him inside or some sort of dual mode.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think the ghost in Bernard's machine is Ford. But Ford may turn out to be a more pervasive ghost than that.

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The fact that switchable, dual minds can exist in one host leaves a lot of possibilities.

22. vince

Boy, THAT ep. changed gears real fast!

GregM likes this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A good reminder that you can upload one host's code into several hosts.

24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I f***ing loved the host/s reveal!

Gardo likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so, where is it going?

might be time to delete it from the DVR............

and you just know maive ain't gone.