Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I wish you had creative input / control of these upcoming movies.

I think Episode 8, is gonna be ESB Part 2. And I have a REALLY BAD feeling about JJ Abrams directing Episode 9. Superbad feeling.

Whenever Hamill is gone from the silver screen, so am I.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That was pretty creepy Uncanny Valley stuff. It was unfortunate because it is possible to do better with the current state of the art. Maybe it was a rushed last minute decision...

enro99 and budwhite like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Benjamin Button did it 1000 times better and that was 10 years ago

4. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

It was... same as the lauded Vader massacre scene; all shot very late in post to salvage the picture. It looked creepily unrealistic upon release (ditto the Tarkin shots too), it's going to look hideously and hilariously dated in months and years to come... yet the so-called 'primitive' optical effects created for the OT still hold up today. Funny that...

mark renard, tmtomh, enro99 and 5 others like this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The Dark Side is a hellofa drug.

enro99 and Lownote30 like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was the "possible" excuse by the Secret History author: that Darth Vader had used so much of the dark side of the Force, it had prematurely aged him. Or... Lucas hadn't figured out that Anakin Skywalker would only be 40 years old, and let it slide...

Classicolin, daca and Encuentro like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, Lucas had big ideas, but he just wasn't a details kinda guy. Of course, before the prequels, Anakin could have been older, but it seems that Lucas was intent on having a very young Anakin in the prequels which prompted him to insert Hayden into the closing scene of Jedi. But it doesn't really make very much sense considering that we see one fully-redeemed Anakin unmasked on the Death Star and another Anakin returning as a Force ghost, standing side-by-side with a much older Obi-Wan Kenobi. The revised ending comes across as very odd. The original ending was perfect as it was. There was no reason to mess with it.

enro99, daca and Robert C like this.
  8. daca

While I am not a licensed psychiatrist, have you considered by that point that Georgie had become so consumed by money and power that he became bat crap crazy? Or maybe he was like that after American Graffitti. IDK.

9. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I loved that "Rogue One" movie, but its not part of the three trilogies, right?

10. daca

I am so glad you have brought this point to light.

As Luke was told that his father died, and never actually saw him, until he took his helmet off on the "New" Death Star. How would he know what his father looked like as a younger "man" (I use that term loosely), let's say someone around Cayden HHristensen's age??? Not recognize him, he would!

I've only watched the ending of the "Re-Revised" Return of the Jedi once; however, this point will not go away: HOW DOES LUKE RECOGNIZE ANAKIN standing beside Obi-Wan and Yoda??????????????? I didn't see a Ewan McGregor Force ghost in place of Sir Alec Guinness. I did not see a younger Yoda Force ghost standing tall, instead of crouching like he was when he died on Dagobah.

Also, the second point, who edited this thing? Rather who DIRECTED the re-shoot? (I've got a good guess) What an idiot! The last Force ghost scene in R-R-ROTJ: Obi-Wan, looking at Luke. Yoda, looking at Luke. "Anakin" breaking the fourth wall and looking straight ahead at the audience. If I were the effects editor, I'd make sure my name was far away from that dumpster fire as possible.

End of rant. :realmad: Thanks for reading.

Robert C and Encuentro like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Honestly, to me, it works as it is in the film. He looks like a father.

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the revision, but let's give Luke some credit. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to figure that one out on his own...

13. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I don't even understand why it had to be in there at all. Wouldn't showing her dress and maybe a semi-hidden side profile have been effective enough? Instead it took my brain out of the moment entirely by being so jarringly bad.

14. daca

I give Luke a lot of credit. And you are right, a Force ghost shows up right after I burned my father's body. Probably him.

BUT..............

...why did he picture Obi-Wan and Yoda as older, as they were when he met them and when they ultimately passed away???

I know for me personally, when I think of people I have lost, I think of how they were WHEN I KNEW THEM. I don't picture in my mind's eye my passed Grandfather as an 18-year old soldier getting sent to fight in WWII. I remember and picture him as the older, wiser man that he was WHEN I KNEW HIM; when he ultimately departed this plane of existence.

15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There's a theory about ghosts in general that states that they appear the way they picture themselves. That's why (the theory goes) ghosts don't have feet - who goes around focused on what their feet look like? At any rate, I'm guessing "Force ghosts" appear the way they wish to project themselves, not the way we "remember" them looking. In that regard, it would make sense that Anakin might prefer to see himself as a young strapping Jedi than a post-Vader old man. On the other hand, Obi-Wan and Yoda came to grips with their old age and were fine being seen that way.

16. daca

1. It's not the way WE remember them, it is from the observer's point of view. In this case, it is Luke Skywalker's point of view (or Ben Kenobi's CERTAIN point of view)
    2. You cant see a Force ghosts feet, especially in those flowing robes, and second I do not even care about their feet.
    3. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

[​IMG]

Edgard Varese and Lownote30 like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He looks like a 75-year-old actor -- which is about how old the guy was. My point is that Lucas didn't realize at that point that Anakin Skywalker was only 20 when he fathered Luke and Leia. It's a big story hole (one of several).

I don't think that was the case -- I worked with the guy every other day for three months and he was totally sane and very down-to-earth, very smart and had a pretty good grasp of reality. But I also think that there's pretty much no billionaire on the planet who has people working for him who will argue with him and tell him he's wrong, even when that's the truth. I think they work very hard placating him and giving him the answers he wants to hear. I also think Lucas was less inclined to want to listen to story and character input from outside writers with Episodes 1-2-3, and a lot of the problems with those films were mostly script-related.

I can tell you it was discussed, and they clearly couldn't go back and reshoot a younger Obi-Wan in order to make it work. I suspect Lucas just said, "aaaaa, close enough" and let it go. I was surprised by the number of things that were sort of mistake-ish that made it into the earlier films that Lucas didn't care about changing, vs. the other things he did want to change.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  18. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Anakin's age vs. how he looked when unmasked in Return of the Jedi has never bothered me. You go through multi-amputation and immolation, thereafter living in a biomedical suit with a respirator, and see how the physical and mental health scars affect your appearance in 20 years. Add in the dark side, and, well... [​IMG]

Flippikat and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

David Gerrold, who wrote "the Trouble With Tribbles", Star Trek episode, refers to him as "Jar Jar Abrams". :)

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here are some notes that concerned fans are giving J.J. Abrams for Star Wars IX:

[​IMG]

Solaris, Lownote30, supermd and 12 others like this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

22. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

For the look of the Force Ghosts, it should be easy. On that one, Rian Johnson was right when he decided to use puppet Yoda on The Last Jedi, because he was the appearance with whom Mark Hamill had interacted.

Putting Hayden Christensen as the face of Force Ghost Anakin might make more sense if the audience accepts the idea of six Star Wars movies of equal merit, telling a unified story, but it clashed with what Luke just saw a few minutes ago, and it deprives the audience of seeing Sebastian Shaw without prosthetics at least once. Besides, Ghost Hayden Christensen is the equivalent of using the last version of a file before it was corrupted, even if there were 25 years of additional work on it.

But, if Anakin Skywalker had been able to watch Force Ghosts in his final moments, it would have been Qui-Gon Jing, Obi-Wan and CGI Yoda.

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Maybe The Force preserves you as you were the moment it "considered" you dead, the moment your connection to it was severed. With Obi-Wan and Yoda, that was when they were much older and coincided with their physical death; for Anakin, it coincided with a spiritual death, the moment he succumbed to the Dark Side.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ I did a little research on what I was trying to say above regarding younger Anakin returning as a Force ghost, and I found what I think is a relevant quote in the King James Bible.
    "...for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." -- 1 Corinthians 15:52

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Or, you know, maybe it was just George's way of lending the prequels more credibility by tying them into the original trilogy more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.