Jack Kirby - King Of Comics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Nov 18, 2016.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Which is a further testament to the King!

2. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

He definitely knew how to mine mythology, and was then partially mined himself by Lucas...

3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Even better, Kirby created his very own mythology for the biggest two comic companies, leaving both with some of their most iconic characters, truly the king!

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

He re-interpreted existing mythologies as did many of his fellow masters of the form, most nowhere near as well known, compensated or revered.

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Doctor Doom is not a Jack Kirby creation. He's a Stan Lee and Jack Kirby creation.

6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No, Kirby took influences and created his very own mythology, give credit where it's due!

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

WB has finally pulled their heads out!

Justice League 2 and 3 are now officially in development at Warner Bros. following the positive response to Zack Snyder's Justice League, which proved to be a big success for the HBO Max streaming service.

Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff recently appeared to dash any hopes of Snyder being given the opportunity to continue his vision for the iconic DC Comics super-team, but a major hike in HBO Max subscribers and the persistence of the #RestoreTheSnyderVerse campaign made her rethink that decision.

"We simply didn't realize how much of a demand there was for Zack's take on Justice League," said Sarnoff in a statement. "The #RestoreTheSnyderVerse movement showed us the error of our ways, and when his legions of fans proved their passion and dedication by hijacking our #StopAsianHate hashtag, well, we just knew we couldn't ignore them any longer."

Sarnoff went on to confirm that Snyder will direct Justice League 2 and 3 back-to-back, and all upcoming DCEU movies, including Aquaman 2, Shazam: Fury of the Gods, and Wonder Woman 3, will now be considered "Elseworlds" stories, with the "SnyderVerse" establishing itself as the main continuity going forward.

YES! YES! YES! The NEW GODS are on the way! Haven't been this excited about movies in a long time!

8. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

We can each interpret his interpretations differently, as well as those of his lesser known, lesser paid, lesser honored, but equally (or more) skilled fellow master artists.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

maccafan, what "holiday" is it today? :)

(Hollywood studio statements are never this snarky. Unfortunately.)

Shoes1916 and superstar19 like this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

You can also keep repeating this all you want but it doesn't change the fact!

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'd rather be optimistic!

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nothing to stop it happening in the future, for sure.

13. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Facts don't change opinions alas, but I'd rather be optimistic. :)

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Opinions not based on facts are just delusion!

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The New Gods movie that was going to be directed by Ava Duvernay has been canceled by WB! Excellent! Now give the New Gods to Zack Snyder, he has the perfect vision for them!

16. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Incorrect.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I rest my case!

Shoes1916 likes this.
  18. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Some beautiful original art.

[​IMG]

Greg Gee, ex_mixer, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There's just not much better as 'ingredients' for a comic book than Lee & Kirby-Sinnott!

SGR, freddog and Exotiki like this.
  20. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

When asked, who would you name as a hero I sometimes think of Kirby. Scrappy kid, dedicated family man, veteran, creative genius, hardest working man in show business and, to his detriment a spectacularly humble person.

SGR, beccabear67 and Spencer R like this.
  21. Maybe in the reboot that Marvel has planned now.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  22. I’m reminded that one of the things I liked about the 60’s Marvel cartoons was the fact that they used actual artwork done by Kirby and others along with the character designs. The animation often sucked but the scripts-although simplified-were pretty accurate as well. The 1968 FF cartoon excepted.

ex_mixer, Shoes1916 and smilin ed like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

For the reboot of the Fantastic Four as a movie franchise, they ought to do the Inhumans/Silver Surfer/Galactus storyline as the first movie, and the run from issues 57-60 where Dr. Doom steals the Silver Surfer’s powers as the second movie.

Of course that makes too much sense, and they’ll waste half of the first movie explaining “how they got that way” and then defeating the Mole Man or some such nonsense.

Shoes1916 and hi_watt like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about Kirby’s DC creations, no film versions ?

25. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Perhaps you missed the much-hyped New Gods announcement about a year and a half. Unfortunately is was just cancelled!