Jack Scott, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Confirmed by Deke Dickerson: DAMN...RIP Jack Scott, one of the greatest 50’s rockabillies. He had great hits, like “Leroy,” “the way I walk,” “what in the world’s come over you,” great obscurities like “baby she’s gone,” “I never felt like this,” and “Go Wild Little Sadie.” Even after the hits died off, Jack maintained his tough Italian greaser image through the psychedelic and disco eras. He kept working right up to the end. I never had a chance to back him up, because he was loyal to his Detroit-based backing band, but I did get to interview Jack on the phone for a pair of bear family CD liner notes that I wrote. Once, after seeing me back up artists at the Green Bay Rockin’ 50’s Fest, he came up to me after the show and talked my ear off about Standel amplifiers, as he had purchased the same model Standel I was playing through back in 1960. The whole time he was talking to me, I kept thinking, “I can’t believe I’m sitting here talking to JACK FREAKIN’ SCOTT!” We’ve lost a true rock and roll hero today. RIP...

javilu77, mpayan, Zeki and 16 others like this.
  2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

RIP

ZippyPippy likes this.
  3. BradOlson

Also confirmed by his family on Facebook.

4. BradOlson

From his nephew Rio: Rest In Peace uncle Jack. Thank you for helping me find my voice when I was just a little girl. Thank you for lifting me up onto the padded stool in grandmas basement when I was three and four years old so I could reach the microphone and sing your own songs to you, my tiny voice dwarfed by your rich Baritone voice.
    Thank you for gifting me your Kustom amp when I turned ten- I still have it and it is truly a treasure to me. It knows me better than anyone and holds my most cherished moments and darkest heartache within its tubes and wires.

Thank you for demanding that I bring my own fresh sound and style to the Rockabilly genre - you made me promise to not imitate the same old songs and sounds just to fit into “a scene” (your air quotes not mine) - you told me to bring my own style and energy to it and to hell with fitting in. Thank you for breaking your own rule of never singing at weddings and playing with me and Sean at my wedding - until the cops came and shut us down lol! Thank you, for everything. I’m sure you are eating meatballs with grandma and grandpa, uncle Jimmy and little Jerry! Rock the great band stand in the sky uncle Jack! You will be missed.

*** For those asking, my uncle Jack had a massive heart attack on Sunday and while they did everything they could to help him come back, it simply was not to be. Giovanni Domenico Scafone (Jack Scott) passed away this afternoon. He was a musical treasure to millions, a reluctant rock and roller (he once walked off a Dick Clark tour in the middle of the night because he missed his girlfriend back home) and a true talent. But to me he was my uncle Jack who I learned so much from.
    He will be deeply missed. ***

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sad news.

One of the greats. Wonderful voice and good choices of material.

RIP

6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

RIP Love his stuff.
    Actually met him once.

Steve Carras likes this.
  7. BradOlson

One of the most underappreciated rock and roll pioneers ever and one of the best.

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Major Bummer! R.I.P.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Very sad to hear

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The way he walked was just the way he walked...
    R.I.P.

goodiesguy, Spazaru, vinnie and 3 others like this.
  11. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I have Jack Scott's 45 of "Geraldine" which peaked at 96 in 1958. He must have been big on the Canadian prairies as it came from my mother's collection of 45's her aunt would send her from the string of jukeboxes she owned across the Canadian west. Fun tune. Rest in Peace Mr. Scott.

12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Another great original rocker gone. RIP.
    He was born in Windsor and established himself just across the border in Detroit. Most of his records placed higher on the Toronto's CHUM Chart than on Billboard.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. I don't claim to be a huge fan but I really like Oh Little One:

danasgoodstuff and Tord like this.
  14. BradOlson

Any compilation of his work is a must listen as the guy just never put out a bad song and he IS one of the most important rockers in history.

lou a likes this.
  15. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

I just found a 78 of "Leroy" the other week, yep his Carlton 45s are very common

R.I.P.

16. Hi Desert Chris

Hi Desert Chris Well-Known Member

Great loss. He was a favorite of mine.

Speaking of Standel amps........Gee, I use to work there a long time ago.

McLover likes this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

18. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

My best friend passed away in May od this year. He sold all of his records before he retired, but the one record he kept was an autographed 45 by Jack Scott. I was with him when he got the autograph. My friend had met many famous people, but he was almost giddy to shake Jack's hand. Mr. Scott seemed as genuine as they come. I like(d) Jack Scott's music, but his humility and "realness" made me admire him as a man. His family and friends will be in my prayers.

19. BradOlson

He could and did sing music in many genres including not only the Rockabilly he's legendary for, but also traditional country music, Gospel and more. His sound is one of a kind.

agundy and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have 2 of his LP's Burning Bridges on Capitol and self-titled on Carlton (no felt letters) and some 45's. I always liked his sound.

21. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

Sorry to hear this. Such a true pioneer. Love his sound and true rock 'n' roll attitude. "The Way I Walk" such great attitude inspiring others for generations.

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Rest In Peace

23. BradOlson

This is all correct.

Allthingsmusic likes this.
  24. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

RIP Jack. He looked as tough as he sounded.

Allthingsmusic and BradOlson like this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I always loved "Burning Bridges." Another one gone....sad. RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.