Jack White recording new album in NYC & LA; "Boarding House Reach" (03/23/2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Haven't they only released two?

AZRunner and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Champagne Boot

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Connected By Love" is pretty damn cool! More outright soul-ey than a lot of Jack's previous material. Loving those backup vocals, kinda reminds me of Dylan's gospel years with some electronic flourishes. I could see this being pretty epic live. Powerful video too!

4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

You’re correct, typo.

5. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

According to Uncut magazine one of hear bands is the east coast band and the other is the west coast band. Hmmm.

6. tom polizzi

tom polizzi Well-Known Member

I like the synth but other than that I am really disappointed. The chorus is boring and the vocal melody just does nothing for me. To me it sounds like this should've been a b-side too.

7. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Sounds good to me. There's always good stuff on Jack White records.

Let's see how these tracks sound in the context of the lp.

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

connected by love is awesome!

Rushfan, wavethatflag and Nielsoe like this.
  9. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

First time a Jack new release dissapoints me. I hope better stuff to come on the new album.

10. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

New song:

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

For me, "Connected By Love" sort of harkens back to his piano rock on Get Behind Me Satan, except now we have heavy synths. I'm a big fan of Lazaretto, I just played it tonight after buying a ticket to his upcoming tour, but I don't necessarily need Lazaretto II.

I like "Respect Commander," too. Big 80s production flourishes before we get to one of his insane guitar workouts. There's a lot to unpack in this one.

"Corporation," well, I'll have to listen to it a few more times. It's different, anyway.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  12. Champagne Boot

Really though, can we discuss how awful the album art is for this one?

13. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. This is the limited edition artwork, which I personally think is much better. Don't know why they didn't use this instead.
    [​IMG]

Joe Spivey likes this.
  14. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Quite a funky vibe to that track. He did say that it was a very eclectic album and it certainly sounds like it will be based on what we've heard so far. I quite like Corporation, but I think it may be a song that works better within the context of an album rather than heard on it's own. Hopefully the various styles of music can coexist nicely rather than making the album too much of a mishmash. It's certainly never dull being a Jack White fan!

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. Champagne Boot

Holds together ok until the last two minutes or so. Don’t dig the vocals, and the lyrics are inane. Good backing track, almost sounds like Jack’s been listening to some of that early 70s Invictus/Hot Wax HDH stuff.

16. VatiBobo

New song now on Youtube. Sounds ok (not overly keen on the backing vocals, though), kinda sounds like Rage Against The Machine to me.

Davidmk5 and wavethatflag like this.
  17. Champagne Boot

If these are the singles, how bad is this album going to be?

savemenow and davesmoked like this.
  18. VatiBobo

I think it's shaping up to be a real mish-mash of styles, and it certainly doesn't seem to be his strongest material based on what we've heard so far. I don't dislike the songs released so far, but it's definitely short of his best. Hopefully it all works in the context of the album, but I'm not so sure it will. I appreciate that he doesn't want to do the same stuff all the time but I do hope that whatever he follows this up with (whether solo or group) takes things back to basics.

19. Interesting. I like what I’m hearing so far. It reminds me of the most recent and excellent Taylor Hawkins EP in terms of sound and the visuals.

20. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I bet this new one will be really good.

21. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

22. VatiBobo

Hope you are right. I think it may be a love it or hate it album. In some ways it sounds like a logical progression from the previous couple of albums, but the eccentricities may be too much for some. I'll certainly give it a good few spins when it arrives and I am excited about finally getting to see him live in Toronto in June.

Socrates likes this.
  23. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I'm listening to that "Connected by Love" song, and it's great.

24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I've heard Jackie White reference Teo Macero and how he used to stitch Miles Davis' albums together from various takes when describing this album; I don't know, I'm just not hearing it in the three songs released so far. If anything, these songs are pretty tight, concise, and repetitive.

He's also spoken a lot about how these songs were constructed out of these wild, lengthy jams that formed the basic tracks, and, I guess they were, but, again, it doesn't sound like it, to my ears. If they were, then Jack deserves a ton of credit as a producer here, because the songs don't have that sense about them at all. If anything, Lazaretto sounded more like what he describes this record as.

25. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

As much as "Connected by Love" has an overall digitized-aura (the Hammond organ solo is appreciated), it still has a feeling, to me, within the sound, that makes everything seem like it was created by humans and not machines. Certain parts of the music remind me of Taylor Swift's REP. I guess that's the new sound now: part modern hip-hop and part rock 'n' roll. People are getting good at making the machines sound real.

And even the Hammond organ solo morphs into a digitized Atari-sounding moment. So the song itself is kind of saying: this is where music is going. I don't mean "Atari" in a derogatory way btw. Great vocal, and the song sounds like a song, even though it's blended with that quality of being inside a video game. And by that I mean: not a violent video game. I'm thinking about toadstools, and Mario jumping - in a very good way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.