Jack White recording new album in NYC & LA; "Boarding House Reach" (03/23/2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes. I suppose he's already done enough of that already. As long as the musics great, it hardly matter how he creates it.

2. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Random thoughts regarding the show at Third Man last night, which was very good, if not the best I've seen from Jack...He performed most (possibly all?) of the new album along with several classic tracks by the White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather and from his previous solo albums...He seemed to be in a good mood and was very chatty with the audience...I was surprised that his new four-piece band consists of two synth/keyboard players along with the rhythm section, given that it was difficult most of the time to differentiate between what the two keyboard players were doing. Honestly seems like one would be able to handle the keyboard parts...And I have to say I missed the brilliant drumming that Daru Jones provided on his last few tours, even though Carla Azar is excellent in her own right...All of the members of the Raconteurs and Dead Weather were in attendance at the show, along with Kevin Griffin from Better Than Ezra...A fun, special evening overall, and I feel very fortunate to have seen the first show of the tour in such an intimate venue.

3. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I was chatting with my local cal record shop and he was also saying that the wholesale price of third man stuff has also just gone up too

4. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...love it >>>

Jack White - Boarding House Reach
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR10 -1.15 dB -14.57 dB 01 - Connected by Love.mp3
    DR11 -1.92 dB -15.84 dB 02 - Why Walk a Dog.mp3
    DR11 -1.06 dB -14.24 dB 03 - Corporation.mp3
    DR12 -4.23 dB -19.31 dB 04 - Abulia and Akrasia.mp3
    DR12 -2.02 dB -16.94 dB 05 - Hypermisophoniac.mp3
    DR12 -1.15 dB -15.83 dB 06 - Ice Station Zebra.mp3
    DR11 -0.93 dB -13.69 dB 07 - Over and Over and Over.mp3
    DR11 -1.07 dB -16.52 dB 08 - Everything You've Ever Learned.mp3
    DR11 -0.92 dB -15.71 dB 09 - Respect Commander.mp3
    DR13 -5.85 dB -21.90 dB 10 - Ezmerelda Steals the Show.mp3
    DR10 -1.76 dB -15.94 dB 11 - Get in the Mind Shaft.mp3
    DR12 -1.79 dB -16.84 dB 12 - What's Done Is Done.mp3
    DR13 -1.74 dB -19.32 dB 13 - Humoresque.mp3

Number of files: 13
    Official DR value: DR12

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Having listened to the new album, I'm not surprised there's two keyboardist. I hear a lot of 80s techno and 70s R&B in these songs. This may end up being my favorite album of his. Really, really like it:)

pablorkcz and fsutall like this.
  6. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

To my delight, this arrived on my British doorstep today.

I've listened to the singles once or twice, with one eyebrow raised. Not the Jack White I know and love. Pleased to report that as an LP, I rather like it! Almost too many styles and influences to list. I hear hip-hop, R&B, the Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart, even Daft Punk, with some familiar Jack White guitar shredding and poetic songwriting intertwined. Production is scrappy but it sure is a trip. "Are you with me?", you know what Jack, I think I am.

My vinyl had a few visible surface scuffs but plays dead quiet. It's "crankable" but sadly you can tell it's not AAA, it's rather muddy. The usual live band sound of his records is gone.

[​IMG]

7. tak_a_tak

tak_a_tak Active Member

Great to hear your positive review, can't wait to hear the new material!

8. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

What ever happened to The Raconteurs? I really thought this was an excellent project for Jack and Co. It seems he's more interested in working with Dead Weather.

pablorkcz and P J Pegrum like this.
  9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was also the fortunate recipient of an early copy of the album! While I understand the album may sound weird upon first listen, after blasting this record all day, this is easily my favourite JW solo effort yet. Never has Jack been so funky! And I don’t see how any fan of Jack’s could complain when he straight up rips slammin’ Whammy licks every other song. Happy to see JW develop like he has!

pablorkcz, amoergosum and Tlaloc like this.
  10. That LP album cover is fantastic.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad I saw this thread, another out there as well...

Was thinking about buying the vinyl from my local shop tomorrow...mediocre reviews so far, but your feedback makes it sound like it might me worth a try. Am I better off just getting the CD to start based on your sound feedback? Thanks in advance.

Please bring back The Raconteurs!!!!!

12. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Everything You've Ever Learned" is so goddamn cool. The freakout ending reminds me of Floyd's "One Of These Days". Really hope that one starts working its way into setlists!

13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

With 13 tracks it must be around 50 minutes long and it’s only one disc. This doesn’t affect the audio?

14. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

:laughup: Your forgot to throw in obvious sarcasm emoji because I know you weren't serious

15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I think he was referring to the limited edition cover. That one looks pretty cool.

16. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Runtime is a touch over 44 minutes.

Nielsoe likes this.
  17. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I second the bring back the Raconteurs comments! Loved that band!!

Just got my copy of the new JW album through this morning. Hoping to spin it tomorrow - it's a really cool Vault package!

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Will post these comments on this thread as well...

At least the music matches the cover of the album...a prime example of a talented artist stepping out of their comfort zone and trying to sound modern day relevant and back firing almost all the way.

RandelPink likes this.
  19. heh..indeed I was

RandelPink likes this.
  20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Anybody know if the copies available in Europe are pressed at Third Man or a plant here in Europe?

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Is the lyric sheet for this album presented on a napkin or post-it inside the sleeve?

22. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Wow, I hate that song...

24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

First listen-through and... Yep. This is bad. About 10 redeemable minutes of cool Santana bongos, 30 minutes of bleep-bloop schlock, and 5 minutes of whatever the heck this Goodnight Moon and Humoresque things are supposed to be getting at. Don't get it. Don't feel the need to revisit, either.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, I trust your taste and I've been curious to hear what folks around here think. This seems to be getting panned everywhere this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.