Jackie Gleason Vault still in Miami

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Frank Gannucci, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Gannucci

Frank Gannucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got a question.

Me and someone else, have been searching for Incredible World of Ed Norton. After searching for our ship to come in (THE QUEEN MARY hehehe), the other person is under the assumption that the show is still in Jackie Gleasons Miami vault in his last home.

Now, what do you think the odds are of a celebrity’s vault still being inside another person’s home (another person who probably isn’t familiar with Gleason)? I would say...not great. But, can you imagine if the homeowner is a Gleason fan and was allowed to view footage inside the vault (including Incredible World)? The fan would say: “How sweet it is.”

here’s a link with a photo of how bad those reels were cared for.
    https://www.city-data.com/forum/att...ie-gleason-vault-still-miami-please-image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  2. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

His daughter controls his estate so no doubt they would be wherever she placed them after he passed.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Hope you're okay. I grew concerned when I saw you weren't around for three months.

4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I am hoping in his Miami vault is the September 25, 1955 episode of What's My Line?, which is not in the Goodson-Todman archive.

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Isn't that picture from the booklet in the Time-Life DVD set of the Jackie Gleason show? I remember how the notes go into a description of the episode "The Passing Politician," then they mention that the tape can no longer be played, hence its absence from the set.

At least they were able to include the short Honeymooners sketches from the Miami shows, which didn't make the MPI sets.

I really never saw these particular shows until I got that set. I remember watching half-hour re-edited versions of the American Scene Magazine shows back in the 1980s which featured a bunch of Gleason's characters like Joe The Bartender and others. I was quite disappointed to find that the color shows have very little of this and mostly consist of stand-up comedy performances. Milton Berle appears a lot.

Granted, those are great to have, but in the T-L set there is exactly one Joe The Bartender skit, and Crazy Guggenheim is edited out, I assume for the same music rights reasons that resulted in all the included shows being cut, some more severely than others.

Reginald Van Gleason also appears once or twice as the star of his own musical hour, but aside from those, the four Honeymooners sketches and one other comedy skit, that's it.

Some musical performances are included, which is very nice, especially the show with Louis Armstrong. Also, Tiny Tim makes several appearances.

There is one show where Ed Norton appears outside of the Honeymooners and sings a song. But no trace of the Norton pilot show. The mystique about that one is weird. I have read numerous negative things about it and then there's all this vague stuff about how the estate doesn't want to release it. That only adds to the legend, such that it is. Anyway, I wish you success in your quest.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    cloggedmind likes this.
  6. Frank Gannucci

Frank Gannucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.