Jackson Browne - Downhill From Everywhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has anyone sighted a CD copy of this?
    Retailers seemed to either instantly place in on back order and say they had no estimate of when it might be available.The one estimate I have seen said it hadn’t been manufactured yet and they were hoping for copies in September.

2. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

I pre-ordered and received my CD on the release date from Amazon, but I see it's temporarily out of stock there too.

slipkid, dee and Alan57 like this.
  3. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Funny, this thread led me to listen to The Naked Ride Home for the first time. Right now.

Back to DFE : do we know where the LP was pressed ? i don't see any information about that on JB website or on Discogs...

4. dee

dee Senior Member

There's a track or two? from the Solo Acoustic albums, from that NRH album, that I really enjoyed listening to.

5. I actually listen to NRH often. I consider it a really good album.

6. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I got my copy on the release date from a fine UK independent store. I own all of Jackson's albums. This one is as ever lyrically very thoughtful. I would expect no less from Jackson given the state of the world and his long standing social awareness. It is maybe not his best recent album melodically but he probably intended it that way. I am not sure whether we will see him again in concert here in the UK but if he makes it I will be there.

dee likes this.
  7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

CD or LP ?

8. dee

dee Senior Member

He is one of the all-time great singer-songwriters who also created a very personal unique style and substance to his work and art, his talent and craft. His solo concert tours have been a constant source of intensity and personality. Serious and humorous both. Entertaining and more importantly often cathartic and healing. His sly coolness and engaging presence with his honey-dew melon maple syrup voice and dream-like songs can sometimes obscure or magnify the man's passion and pressing social concerns in his art. One of the all time greats in his line of work. He does not suffer fools to my kmowledge but can forgive ones like me all tbe same lol and is not shy about his beliefs. A complicated dude methinks that seems to be able to express himself very clearly and directly, and very effectively and memorably, tbrough his songs and concert performances. Gee I must love JB's songs and concerts or something, lol.
    So a new album, I look forward to hearing when I can hear it. Cheers.

ted321, LoveandTheft, Alan57 and 3 others like this.
  9. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

It was the cd

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ditto for me.

dee likes this.
  11. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Well, I have listened to it twice today and must admit I am underwhelmed. I find it mostly just unremarkable. It is listenable, much like his last several. I am not sure that I am disappointed because the last several didn’t lead me to believe that this would be remarkable. Guess I want what I cannot have.

mozz and smilin ed like this.
  12. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I saw a copy yesterday but there was no indication as to where the vinyl was pressed, on the [sealed] jacket at least. It won't be available for purchase until Friday next though both here in Europe and in the U.S.A. I am hoping that Jackson's people worked with Pallas for this one as with 'Standing In the Breach'. I have a certain 'anxiety' buying vinyl these days. The quality is so variable that you really need to know who pressed the vinyl to stand a chance of getting an acceptable copy. Nevertheless, I think I will take a chance on this in the hope that it came from the Pallas plant in Germany. Warner is involved in its distribution so that gives me a certain amount of confidence. My local store has sold its allocation and I don't want to take a chance of this going out of print in a short time and awaiting a repress especially with the guide time at something like 8 months at the moment. The vinyl is sold out already at the Jackson Browne web store.

13. NH147

NH147 Forum Resident

Listened a few times. Some nice singing, nice playing and solid songs. Not an unpleasant listen. It lacks any standout songs, and I’m not convinced any will emerged. Nice to hear the likes of Waddy and Glaub etc. The last track, Song for Barcelona, has some great musical stretches in it. Will give it a few more listens.

Keith todaro likes this.
  14. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

I'm really loving this album. For me, it's the best CD I've heard this year.

Forty links likes this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

This song is OK, but does nothing special for me.

Jackson Browne, to me, has always precariously straddled the line between interesting heartfelt songs and boring generic heartland rock. This song seems to fall more into the latter camp. It's not actually bad, but not great either.

I was listening again today to Lives In the Balance. Some of those songs come close to mediocrity, but I enjoy the album as a whole. At his worst, he does songs that are somewhat pedestrian; at his best, some of the songs are truly inspired.

Is "Cleveland heart" an expression?

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Bought the album today and I have to say that the quality of the vinyl pressing is superb over all four sides! The pressing was done at Pallas in Germany and P-U.S.A. is on the deadwax along with 56537 and Jeff Powell’s Mastering information. I’m looking forward to giving this some serious listening time over the weekend.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I can't really imagine anyone expecting anything better than what Jackson has offered us with his new album. The album flowed nicely and most of the songs are pretty good.

dee, ted321, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

as have been just every album he ever made.

vegafleet likes this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Yeah for the most part, but I have to be honest and say that by your suggestion I went back to the "I'm Alive" album and found that while it's good, I have no real love for it anywhere near the love of it that you always seem to.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Lawyers In Love" was his last great album (imo).

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

well, i so much admire his blatant honesty about the pain and sorrow of breaking up of a relationship that he lays out in that entire album. not a single song on there doesn't have some direct tie to that painful situation he was trying to get out of and the things that he was being accused of and put through during that process.

if you listen to it with that in mind and you know the whole background story, there are songs on there that at times have made my eyes well up with water.

dee, Bob_Rush, Chris C and 1 other person like this.
  22. LoveandTheft

LoveandTheft Forum Resident

They make artificial hearts in Cleveland is my understanding and it is a metaphor for a strong heart to cope (they don't break; they don't ache; don't make mistakes like a real heart).

Bevok, dee and Steve356 like this.
  23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

With that in mind, I think "Sky Blue and Black" from I'm Alive is his greatest song, particularly the solo live version.

One day my wife and I were stuck in a traffic jam and I said listen to this. Yep, she cried.

dee and Craig like this.
  24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The live version doesn’t have the slick early nineties sheen. It’s pretty much perfect.

dee, vegafleet and Craig like this.
  25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Years ago (probably 20+) on the Jackson Browne mailing list there was an elimination tourney where we voted to determine his best song.

The final came down to "Late For The Sky" vs "Sky, Blue and Black".

I think most people on the list knew it would come down to these two songs. "Late For The Sky" won. A hard choice, but in the end I voted for "Sky, Blue and Black".

Both are devastating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.