Jackson Browne - Downhill From Everywhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I don't care for much of that album, to be honest. I'm Alive, however...

Craig and Scatterling of Africa like this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw I hear ya.

I 'feel like' I'm Alive (despite maybe a few song arrangement productions?) was a 'huge' or 'essential return to form' or 'comeback' album. I 'think' it's very well-regarded by the JB fan community? Fwiw it brought me 'back into the fold' and was the start of many concerts of his I attended for about 20 years or so, at many different venues. I guess it's already 25 years old or older now? wow...

Really solid songwriting and performances. Very consistent. It sort of happened at the right time for me as a fan, as an alternative to Alternative and a harkening to some of the heights of his own past and then present work.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    slipkid likes this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Despite my fandom I never bought the cd and have still kind of forgotten about it.

Perhaps I was not in synch with the timing of the release and the title ;) but willing to give it another go.

Nothing against James Taylor and probably my loss but that tour with JB only doing an opening set, I avoided going. I for one would have been wanting much more. I 'imagine' it was 'interesting' for him to play some arena venues again?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

I liked much of Looking East then, though haven't listened to it in some years, but even if it offered only Barricades of Heaven it'd have been a good one :);)..

Yes to a A Little Soon To Say. Appears at a perfect time in the album imo. I found what I think are 5 songs I'd be pretty happy to hear in concert and especially at one of his 'evening with' or mainly solo acoustic shows, in that type of setting and style. A Little Soon To Say reaches the heights for me and a few others are close enough and succinct enough too.

A Little Soon To Say
    A Human Touch (made more touching by the video?)
    The 1st song on the album (looked it up and forgot it's title...again!)
    The Dreamer
    Cleveland Heart

A Song for Barcelona unsure if I like the bridge in it but the coda was a pleasant little surprise and I dug the Tom Waits musical vibe for the main parts of the song.

Also liked Minutes.

A few others I didn't get all the way through hearing them in their entirety.
    Maybe another day. But thanks to it being uploaded, am looking to buy the cd, and depending how the sides of songs are split up, maybe even the vinyl.

hodgo and Scatterling of Africa like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Seems like most comments in the new album are neutral to positive. Not much “meh-ing”?.

dee likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Didnt they play Fenway Park?

dee likes this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Have no idea. That tour seemed to me ;) to go on forever and as it wasn't a full JB set I put a mental block on the entire thing. Gotta keep some headspace free! ;)

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

FWIW, his Beacon/NYC residency has quite a few seats leftover at every show, and they've all come down drastically in price - upper balcony is only $35 (or about $50 with fees), and some good orchestra seats towards the middle that are probably about $100 after fees. IIRC prices were at least double when they first went on sale.

Also, his setlist seems to be heavy on the early classics too. From the new album, he does four songs.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

If you’re a fan, you should go - almost three hours and he did half of Late for the Sky (the four songs that made his two-CD best of). Great show, even better than the last time I saw him at the Beacon. Pretty damn good for $35.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

With the Breach album and Downhill, and iirc previously Conqueror?, to me there's usually half a good album, or maybe more, there, and that half or so is one I really enjoy too. I have to get Downhill still. He doesn't need it but I apprciate 'supporting' the artists music I like if I can. Will look at the vinyl prices and if too much will try for the cd. I hope.

Glad he's out there playing his uniquely Jackson Browne songs and hope he is in good spirits and health. Peace.

11. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Downhill is really good, in my opinion. Better than Breach - or at least, I find myself returning to Downhill more than to Breach.
    I also love the fact that JB clearly cares about LP as a medium - Pallas is involved, and despite being double albums (Downhill for sure, can't remember Breach) the cost is that of a single album.

lemonade kid and dee like this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

My Dad bought me Breach as a gift so I treasure it but I hear you. JB is probably better served with his band to complement any and all of his songs now. I feel like I saw him in concert during a rebirth of a golden age ;):) (in the 21st Century!) with his Evening with JB concerts. Just him on vocals and his keyboards and guitars and the audience. Great shows great times. Went to quite a few shows and could have gone to probably twice as many if I could. He was playing Florida from one coast to the other, north and south, for many of those tours.

slipkid, lemonade kid and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  13. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I have very fond memories of seeing Jackson Browne performing live with David Lindley around 25 years ago, I can't even remember where (somewhere in Emilia Romagna, Italy). A small venue, they were both in fine form and had the whole audience in the palm of their hands. Such skill, such ease, such incredible performers!
    I would love to see Jackson one more time, but I'm not sure he travels to Europe much.

dee likes this.
  14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

He must really love the Beacon - he just finished his residency (and this leg of the tour) with his longest show yet. Three hours and NO breaks, so he was able to do 26 songs including 5 songs from Late for the Sky (adding "Farther On" this time). All setlists had a lot of overlap, but there were a handful of differences from night to night like "My Opening Farewell" and Warren Zevon's "Carmelita" and also new repeats like "That Girl Could Sing" and "Sky Blue and Black." The final show even sold out hours before start time.

slipkid, dee, Steve356 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

My Opening Farewell one of his very best!

Keith todaro, Steve356 and C6H12O6 like this.
  16. Mark Veety

Mark Veety Well-Known Member

I saw him In Bethel NY last summer with James Taylor. He played a couple of songs from this album, I did not hear anything that I found memorable from Downhill.

Bought the CD and after a few plays on my Garage system found it to be another strong set of songs, worth listening to along with his other work.

He is a remarkable artist who continue to have something to say about aging and our planet.

slipkid and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  17. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Good to see this thread pop up again. I’ve been meaning to give the new one a preview and possibly buy. I think his last album I bought was Naked Ride Home.

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.