Jacob's Ladder Remake Poised for Release

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

I can't say this is a remake that interests me at all. A trailer is here-

Watch exclusive trailer for remake of cult classic 'Jacob's Ladder'

Tim S likes this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That's a really odd change in several major plot points. It doesnt seem like it would work well either.

The original was never that popular, though it did gain more and more attention over the years - but it's not like the studio grabbed a well-known property that had a built in audience to draw from.

The whole idea seems flaky to me - there isn't anything particularly dated about the original; do they just figure a big chunk of the audience won't know that there was a US war with Vietnam a few years back?

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

The trailer is actually sort of intriguing. Some of it looks very good and some not good at all. It might actually work - maybe it uses so many of the original's ideas that they HAD to call it "Jacob's Ladder," even if it also differs considerably?

unclefred likes this.
  4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

No intention of seeing this. The original isn’t perfect, but Adrian Lyne’s visuals were revolutionary, and I’m sure this will be more about jump scares than character development

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I didn't particularly care for the original film. Who knows? Maybe the remake might be better.

6. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

The original has a clammy, dirty feel of horror to it, which is too rare in such films. I'll take a peek at the remake if if shows up on Netflix streaming, but other than that, I'll enjoy the BR of the original.

Tim S likes this.
  7. I will admit when it was on The Black List and I read it for Alex De Benedetti at DeLaurentiis Productions, I recommended that they option this but they had to have the right director attached (which they got) and lead actor to make it work well. The original film adheres fairly closely to the script that was making the rounds as part of the Black List as well.

8. At least they are taking a slightly different take on the same themes. It could almost play like a sequel based on what's in the trailer (but some films don't need a sequel--they tell the whole story). I will be interested to see what the resulting film.

Tim S likes this.
  9. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Doesn't look half as good as the original.
    Why remake it?

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree. The trailer makes it look like it has promise, but SO many trailers don't do a good job representing the actual film, so it's hard to say.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. The art of creating good trailers without major spoilers is rare as well. It's always tough to judge especially given that footage in a trailer may not even be in the finished film.

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I was shocked to discover this has been remade, but the reviews aren't great to say the least.

My first reaction was "why remake a film that was only made in 1990??", but then had my mind completely blown with the realisation that that's a longer gap than between the original 1958 The Fly and Cronenberg's 1986 remake!

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.