James Blake - 2019 - Assume Form

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by olinko, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olinko

olinko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't see an open thread on Blake to share this in, but I put it on for a casual headphone listen and I have to say I'm pretty impressed how well recorded the album is. Sure, it's loud and the DR is not that great, but considering the genre and the general disregard for mastering nowadays, this is pretty refreshing.

I'd put it up there with Bowie's Blackstar (i.e. loud but somehow great sounding)

(Also, the album itself is pretty great. I'd say much better than The Colour in Anything)

Have a listen, would love to hear thoughts

crispi likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

He is doing a Radio 6 Music session for broadcast at 10:30am-ish on Radio 6 Music on Wednesday 24th April.

Unfortunately though its on the Mary Anne Hobbs show

4. englishbob

Just picked up the (black) vinyl today.

Checked the deadwax - Cut by Matt @ Alchemy :righton:

5. englishbob

Important stuff: If you love this album then the cut and pressing are excellent

Being picky: Joins a recent looong list of albums that come in a gatefold sleeve with not a lot going on with them design-wise. This one is pretty pathetic TBH. Also currently the download code doesn't work, but this is common over at Soundofvinyl.com, they are slackers

Album thoughts: I think he is stuck in a little bit of a rut, comes across as a collection of one-shot tracks rather than an album to me. Still, there is still some good things on here, although the track with Travis Scott rates as the worst thing he has ever saved to a file. The sooner that autotune crap dies out the better all round. I have no idea what Travis was rapping about in the track to be honest, probably not a lot

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The release date in the US is next week, so I'm looking forward to getting this next week.

My pet peeve about gatefold sleeves is that for all the space that is available, so many times, the credits are minuscule and barely readable!

7. englishbob

You're going to love this!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  8. olinko

Interesting, I'm actually rather impressed with the flow of the album, from Barefoot in the Park to the end, I feel like there's a whole story there. Not to mention the album's actually not sad bastard music anymore (as far as Blake goes haha)

Also, not to start a new thread, this is a pretty amazing cover of Don't Miss It, tbh. Josh Turner has some amazing covers (and amazingly recorded ones too). Sounds like Paul Simon

9. englishbob

Went back to try the download card with the vinyl today and it worked. Its in WAV format :righton:

It also contains the new track "Mullholland"

10. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

This is one of those albums that on first listen didn't really appeal, but had snagged itself away at the back of my mind, niggling it's way out weeks later.

olinko likes this.
  11. olinko

Don't Miss It and Barefoot in the Park still absolutely amazing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.