James Brown - Live At Home With His Bad Self (Oct. 25, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

James Brown ‘Live At Home with His Bad Self’ For 50th Anniversary Release

James Brown’s celebrated homecoming concert in Augusta, Georgia will have its 50th anniversary marked by Republic/UMe’s first-ever release of the complete show on 25 October. Live At Home with His Bad Self will be available on CD, 2LP vinyl, and digital audio as a full memento of the Godfather of Soul’s concert at the Bell Auditorium in Augusta on 1 October 1969.

The concert audio has been newly mixed for the release, which includes seven performances that have never been released. ‘Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose’ is now available to stream and download.

The show was recorded with the intention of making a live album, which was then scheduled as a holiday release late that year, and would commemorate his move back to Mr. Brown’s southern roots. It featured a stellar band with his esteemed saxophone player Maceo Parker and no fewer than three drummers, Parker’s brother Melvin, Jabo Starks and Clyde Stubblefield. But the line-up disbanded soon after the concert and the soul legend assembled a new group including the emerging young bassist William ‘Bootsy’ Collins.

That team soon recorded the anthemic ‘Sex Machine,’ and as that funk landmark climbed the charts without an album behind it, Brown shelved the Live At Home release and instead created the double album Sex Machine. Released in September 1970, it included a near-11-minute version of the title hit and excerpts of the Augusta show.

Fifty years on, Live at Home with His Bad Self emerges as the Godfather first planned it. It’s been newly mixed from the original analog multi-tracks by Peter A. Barker, who has mixed records by Jeff Beck, Bonnie Raitt, Babyface and others. Among the newly-available material are the instrumentals ‘Lowdown Popcorn’ and ‘Spinning Wheel,’ which were re-cut with pre-recorded applause for the Sex Machine album.

Also on Live at Home… is Brown’s hit of the time, ‘World,’ which he performed at the concert as a live vocal over the studio recording’s instrumental arrangement. Far from keeping this a secret, he explains this unusual move to the audience. ‘There Was A Time’ and ‘Mother Popcorn,’ which were heavily edited on Sex Machine, appear at twice the length. There’s also a live rendition of his 1968 hit ‘Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose,’ which appeared on Sex Machine, but as a studio re-record.

1. Say It Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud
    2. James Brown Thanks and Introduction to “World”*
    3. World*
    4. Stage Dialogue*
    5. Lowdown Popcorn*
    6. Spinning Wheel*
    7. If I Ruled The World
    8. Kansas City*
    9. Introduction to Startime
    10. I Don’t Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door I’ll Get It Myself)
    11. I Got The Feelin’*/Licking Stick-Licking Stick
    12. Try Me*
    13. There Was A Time **
    14. Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose*
    15. It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World
    16. Please, Please, Please
    17. I Can’t Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)
    18. Mother Popcorn **

* Previously Unreleased / All other performances, though previously issued in some form, are presented in new mixes, including: ** Extended from track’s original release

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

:goodie:

redsock, DeeThomaz and Marry a Carrot like this.
  3. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

FANTASTIC! Been too long since we had an archival JB release.

4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I miss Hip-O.

5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Yep. What a glorious run of JB reissues they did! We were spoiled back then.

Majk, Hep Alien, SOONERFAN and 2 others like this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Between the JB reissues and Marvin Gaye deluxe releases...and I'm sure some stuff I'm forgetting.

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Awesome. The "Mother Popcorn" from this show is the 9-minute monster that sounds like 1980s King Crimson. Also found on the Foundations Of Funk comp. Gotta get this CD, it's a mother!

freemanl and Lovecraft like this.
  8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This looks like a must buy to me. I’ve got James coming out of my ears but he rarely disappoints. This is the swan song of that killer classic line up. They were like a well oiled machine and had been touring relentlessly honing their sound. And ultimately the core players ended up having a lifetime of orbiting in the gravitational pull of James Brown’s music and bands. It made them stars in their own right.

No disrespect to the great Sex Machine, but it took Bootsy and those kids from Cleveland a minute to catch up with James.

Hep Alien, redsock, freemanl and 2 others like this.
  9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Here's the full "Mother Popcorn" from the Augusta show, as released (and mixed) for the Foundations Of Funk compilation. It's a 9-minute machine, sounds better than the version on Sex Machine.

Will be interesting to see how they mix this new one. That bass sounded pretty fat on the sample.

Hep Alien, redsock, unclefred and 5 others like this.
  10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Amazing, out of all the stuff coming out in the next couple of months, this is the one I'm looking forward to most.

Shades of Miles Davis' mid 70s live stuff towards the end there.

asdf35 likes this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I probably won't get any support for this, but Mother Popcorn always reminds me of Discipline-era King Crimson! I could imagine a seated Robert Fripp playing a guitar pattern behind this.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Electric Sydney, walrus and Mook like this.
  12. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I hear you & I'm a huge KC fan too.

walrus and asdf35 like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't know if I could stretch that connection, but I love KC and James Brown, so you're not alone there at least.

Mook and asdf35 like this.
  14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

This is total madness! Brutal!

15. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Ouch. I love James Brown and should be excited about this release but...I can't get past out how out of tune the bass is on that live version.

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Damn, I need this too. Is it available to pre-order?

17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

It's certainly up on Amazon UK.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

JB with J&B!

Mook likes this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

RSDBF '19 Special Release: James Brown - Live at Home: The After Show

[​IMG]

A complement to the 50th anniversary release of Live at Home With His Bad Self (which itself is an expansion of a 1969 live show that was heavily edited into the LP 'Sex Machine'), this RSD Black Friday exclusive is the after-show set, featuring extended versions of rare (released) cuts, new mixes, a duet with Marva Whitney, some revealing stage patter and an onstage interview conducted by James Brown's school principal.

Side 1: 1. “Baby Here I Come (false start & complete take)” 2. “Spinning Wheel (take 1)” 3. “Spinning Wheel (take 2)”

Side 2: 1. “Rehearsal” 2. “Respect” 3. “A Talk With James Brown/You Got To Have A Job” 4. “Fat Wood (rehearsal)” 5. “Fat Wood”

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I hate having to learn about this release for BLACK Friday RSD list but still an archival James Brown live album? Please, please, please (please please take me my money).

McLover and asdf35 like this.
  21. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The recent Motherlode LP sounds fantastic! So I hope Ume does this record well too.

22. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'm very, very excited about this album.

Keep going back to the YouTube clip for a listen & currently reading Kill 'Em & Leave.

23. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Has anyone picked this up? How's it sound?

g.z. likes this.
  24. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I've just listened to it.

Sounds great for a 50 year old live recording. The performance itself really kicks into gear after the 'Star time introduction'.

The band are absolutely on fire here, some incendiary stuff.

Hep Alien, g.z., mgb70 and 2 others like this.
  25. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

This LP is phenomenal.

The bass does go out of tune a wee bit after the first verse of Give it Up & Turn it Loose but it almost adds to the madness.

I remember once working with a woman who loved her Northern Soul & she always said James Brown couldn't really sing, I would love to play her this album because he sounds like he's from a different planet here, unbelievable.

Hep Alien, g.z., Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.