Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

James McMurtry new album "The Horses and The Hounds" - Aug. 20, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davido, Jun 9, 2021 at 1:22 PM.

1. Davido

Davido Forum Resident Thread Starter

Intended to post McMurtry's new song on the general purpose 'James McMurtry' thread from 2018 but it's closed for further replies. I'll never understand why certain threads close and other do not.

I guess McMurtry is mostly known to songwriter afficianados but McMurtry deserves a thread for his upcoming album as much as anyone. He's been livestreaming quite a bit during the pandemic and I'm glad to see he has a new batch of songs coming out in August.

Here's the single "Canola Fields"....

If you know his work, you'll probably nod your head appreciatively. Otherwise maybe he's new to you?

2. Davido

Davido Forum Resident Thread Starter

Short article promoting the album here:
    James McMurtry Brings 'Los Angeles Vibe' to Country Music With New Album

Excerpt:
    McMurty used The Horses and the Hounds as an opportunity to call on some old friends, who just so happen to be some of the industry’s best. Grammy-winning producer Ross Hogarth (who has produced for Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen, and Keb’ Mo’, just to name a few), recorded the album with McCarty at Jackson Browne’s Groove Masters in Santa Monica, Calif. It will be the third album the pair have collaborated on, following Too Long in the Wasteland and Candyland; their working relationship began 30 years ago.

blastfurniss and Jack Cerro like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Excellent news! :righton:

The last album was super even by James' high standard. If this new one is even half as good, I'll be happy.

blastfurniss, Davido and Jack Cerro like this.
  4. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Excited about this news. Was on the McMurtry bandwagon from the beginning. Interesting he references Warren Zevon as I’ve always thought their work had similar wit. James takes forever to make records but they are always worth the wait. Not a bad one in the bunch.

Davido and carlwm like this.